541s trigger housing lock screw

Rodtka

Hi everyone from Alberta - I bought a 541 years ago when they first became available in Canada. To lighten the trigger i shortened the main sear spring and drilled a new hole to pin it in position. All is well, but I don't know how to properly set the trigger housing lock screw which bears against the receiver through the threaded trigger housing at the front [muzzle end] of the trigger. I took the trigger off for a good cleaning and cannot remember where the front of the housing was in relation to the receiver. All i can find on the net is that one fellow said his 541 was about 1/16 in.

I turned the screw out from barely snug against the receiver [which has the housing against the receiver] until the bolt didn't drag and things seem fine but i have no idea how to properly adjust it. Does it tie into the other three main adjustments somehow or is there a standard distance from the receiver to the front of trigger housing. I need an education. Thanks.

Try and contact Brian Volker and ask him.

2878 170TH AVE RYAN, IA 52330 USA Voice: 1-319-932-2570

Last edited:
I turned the screw out from barely snug against the receiver [which has the housing against the receiver] until the bolt didn't drag and things seem fine but i have no idea how to properly adjust it. Does it tie into the other three main adjustments somehow or is there a standard distance from the receiver to the front of trigger housing. I need an education. Thanks.

A firm, or snug relationship to ensure no movement of the trigger housing is what's needed.
Once your pin is in place, tighten the screw with a bit of discretion (I don't know of torque specs) since the alloy housing could strip its threads if it is over tightened. I then use some of the wife's nail polish to act as a seal.
That's all the "adjustment" mine ever need.

Last edited:
Hi everyone from Alberta - I bought a 541 years ago when they first became available in Canada. To lighten the trigger i shortened the main sear spring and drilled a new hole to pin it in position. All is well, but I don't know how to properly set the trigger housing lock screw which bears against the receiver through the threaded trigger housing at the front [muzzle end] of the trigger. I took the trigger off for a good cleaning and cannot remember where the front of the housing was in relation to the receiver. All i can find on the net is that one fellow said his 541 was about 1/16 in.

Use caution when tightening the trigger housing lock screw, just snug is plenty. If you over tighten it the trigger housing, which is just a cast aluminum, will crack where the thin front meets the main body of the housing. I have seen quite a few like this and there is no fix for them other than replacing the trigger.

drover

Back