52 winchesters

H

hg shelton

Of the 52's wich is the more popular A,B,C or D?????????????
Gary

You did not mention the Pre A or E. Are you discriminating against the very old and newest? Most popular to whom? The collector, the shooter, the rebuilder etc.....all have different favorites. The E probably carries the highest price right now, particularly one in factory international configuration because of their rarity. An unused C in the box might also bring a nice price from a collector needing one for his collection. For a shooter I'd choose a D with a Kenyon trigger any day against all other 52's. Merry Christmas! bob

Kenyon trigger

How do you identify a kenyon trigger, I understand some were
installed at winchester. the trigger on my D is exceptional and shows some
hand work , Just wondering

Every Kenyon trigger I have seen says Kenyon on it somewhere on the cover plate. I'm not saying some were not so marked, just that I have not seen one.

For the 52 Karl has a pull down pin in front of the trigger blade for bolt release. It is about 3/4 inch ahead of the trigger blade mount and requires a hole in front of the guard. You can see that without removing the stock. Pushing the trigger forward will not release the bolt as done on factory triggers.

Kenyon triggers were not installed at Winchester. Winchester sent rifles to Karl and he did the work at his shop. That of course is after Karl left Winchester for he once was an in house employee. Karl also modified many a 52 trigger. I do not know how he marked, if at all, these factory triggers but he did move the pivot point and that is visible...and many other smiths similarly modified 52 triggers over the years.

If you really want the story on Kenyon triggers I suggest you call Karl and ask him. He is retired now and recently lost his wife Zoe. He is an absolutely lovely man to chat with and even in his mid 90's seems as sharp as ever. It is a phone conversation you will forever be grateful you made. You might even make his day. Do it while you can. bob

Last edited:
Kenyon Trigger

Here is the only photo if have of a Kenyon trigger. Not sure with model 52 it fit. As for what model 52 I prefer for BR, it's the D & E models. The C is okay if you are wanting a repeater. I have been using Canjars on my 52 D's. I also have used some factory triggers, modified by Kenyon, Hongisto and Russell, and can tell no differance between them, but far better that stock. Replacement parts are gettingharder to find, but Wendell at Outback has been a great supplier in the past.

KenyonTrigger3.jpg
Here is a modified Factory D trigger.
Win52Dtrigger.jpg

Last edited:
MY 52d TRIGGER

My trigger functions great around 2oz, maybe less. To remove the bolt
you pull the trigger, cannot push it forward. There is a lever which
contacts the rear of the sear and appears to be for that purpose, but
the sear only falls far enough to remove the bolt by pulling it. Little
if any motion can be felt in the trigger shoe. IT has never been out
of the hands of the original owner, having purchased it new at a local
hardware. There does appear to be some pins of a different color and
holes that were once used. No initials or markings

Yes, that is a photo of a Kenyon 52 trigger. You can just make out the name Kenyon on the lower photo. The trigger blade is probably not his tho (at least I don't think it is one of his). I had one just like it at one time. Blade was made of brass and had a rubber O ring that forced your finger into the same position each time. They were a popular after market after market item. Karl shipped most of his with a curved blade of his own design.

I own 2 Kenyon triggers for the Remington 37....they are very different than his trigger for the 52, as one would expect. One of those has an Anschutz straight trigger blade on it. The other has a curved blade similar to the original 37 but much wider than the factory blade and is not adjustable fore and aft. This one is the smoothest 2 oz triggers I have ever had the pleasure of using. It was made much later than many so I suspect it is the result of many years of learning while doing. I literally begged Karl to make me another before he retired to no avail. I then tried to bribe him into it and he told me he had more than a lifetime of work on his bench. He retired very shortly after that conversation.

I have a book on early BR rifles that has a write-up and photos of a Kenyon trigger for the 40X. It has an adjustable "Anschutz" blade. Never seen one of those myself but ownership of one would certainly warrant purchase of a 40X to put it on. Karl also made triggers for the Anschutz 54.

Another interesting side point. Karl had an instruction/care sheet that he sent with every trigger. His instruction for cleaning was to take the cover off, flush it with WD-40 then dry it off and put it back together.
bob

Straight above the trigger pc. are two holes. The pin in mine is in the lower hole. The small lever with the pin which is just to the left of the sear
engagement is different. Pushing the trigger forward loads that lever
into a notch exactly as forward firing pin pressure would. What ever it is
thats the way it came from the factory

Last edited:
Trigger

Bob Kingsbury,

Sounds as though you have a standard Winchester Micro-Motion trigger that came on the 52"C", "D", "E".
That small lever is the "rocker" and the sear loads that on the "middle lever". Pushing the trigger forward applys pressure to the sear "TAIL" as cocking would. The word "sear" on the pic points to the sear adjustment screw, not the sear.

Bob Finger,

I believe you are correct in that the brass post is a replacement on the Kenyon. Karls post was of steel and fastened differently. Most position shooters liked the post and its ability to adjust for LOP. He also made a two stage unit to replace the post in that Kenyon light model.
I think the blade you refer to as "anschutz", which really isn't close, was put on his later triggers, not the majority, which were curved (Kenyon standard) or the post style (Kenyon light).

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the intention

I only noted where each was adjusted, not to indicate what it represented.
Bob K: If your 52D trigger fuctions at 2 oz or less, leave it alone. I have never seen any micromotion trigger that allow the bolt to be removed by pulling the trigger. Pictures please.

Thanks guys, I cannot post a picture, sorry. One day when I get caught
up. Fred J , I plan on putting this in a mcMillian stock much as you did.
With the original barrel. Pillars on both ends. Micro motion sounds reasonable, as trigger motion as compared to a jewell is almost
imperceptable. Trigger adjustments have been touched up a few times
since it was madein 53 as stamped under the barrel. But all in all has been
very dependable.Incidentally, My dad had a 52 with no serial # . He worked
at winchester. That action is gone forever.

"d"?????

Bob,

Can't be made in 53 if its a "D". They were not introduced until 61,

bjm

trigger

Bob,
As Fred suggested a pic or two would help. The reason is this. This is a four lever trigger that the sear has two functions, one is release the firing pin and being spring loaded raises and acts as a bolt stop. In no way can pulling the trigger rearward act on the sear much less lowering it to the point the bolt can clear it. The trigger lever in a Micro Motion can only contact the sear by pushing forward and pivoting the upper arm back into contact with the sear tail holding the sear low enough for the bolt to be retracted.
I'm not suggesting you can't but possibly its not a Winchester Micro-Motion but another after market. PIC"S

bjm

Brian

pushing the trigger forward causes the tail on the sear to go back.
but the little short lever at the frorward end of the trigger housing stops
in a notch and will not allow the sear to drop any farther.The housing
is identical to the winchester trigger pictured in a previous post. That
little lever is different than the one pictured. This gun was purchased
new by my father in law and he said it never went anywhere except
to the shooting club. He always had a tough time getting the bolt out.
I'll have to review the how on putting pictures on here.

Try this

Bob K: Try to remove the bolt in this manner and see if it works. Open bolt and while pulling the trigger back, close the bolt. Then push the trigger blade forward and open the bolt and pull back at the same time. Do not relaese the trigger until the bolt comes out. Let me know what happens.
Can you email me the pictures, and I will post them for you.

Micro-motion

Bob,

Yes, if you move the bolt before pushing forward on the trigger it will allow the sear to "reset" in the rocker notch and not drop. The sear is spring loaded and any bolt movement prior to pushing forward to hold the sear down will allow a "reset". Try Freds suggestion, that should work.

bjm

Dumb question:

why didn't Winchester recognize there was an issue with their triggers and make the same modifications those mentioned made? If Mr K was working for them and modifying triggers logic would follow to fix the production process, no?

Win 69 Match Rifle

I have one of these for my 25/50 shooting rifle. I use it when I'm not shooting BR. No competition. I enjoy the accuracy I can get out of Rem/Win bulk ammo. I know not much with open peep sights but it's fun. I have the Lyman 57EW peep and a tin full of front pieces. For now I use the blade reminds me all my other rimfire sights.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Pete,

There was no issue with their triggers. They work well as designed.
I had never heard that Mr. K worked for Win. other than selling them his trigger for the International. The modification of the Micro-motion I believe was relatively new, prior he was making his own triggers.

bjm

Back