5.7X28 advice needed!

A prospective customer called me the other day wanting to know if I could build him a rifle chambered for a 5.7X28. I told him I'd have to do some homework and I'd get back with him. Am I correct to assume that it requires a 7.80mm (.307) bolt face? I suppose you could bush a rem.bolt,but that would be a real clunker plus what about the feed factor? Maybe I should pass on this project! Will appreciate any advice I can get.

This drawing http://ammoguide.com/?catid=253 -- one of few I could find in "English" seems to show .314" rim. This seems to be a super little cartridge, a good replacement for .22 Hornet if someone is so inclined. The project will probably have you breaking some new ground ... good luck.

One of the neatest 5.7x28 rifles was one that a poster on Saubier.com made. He modified the AR-15 platform to load from FN Five-seveN magazines and got it to actually function in a gas operated locked breach system. I think he sleeved the boltface to 0.315"

Apparently,because of rim dia., the smaller (sako&cz)actions are not an option. Going back to a short rem. I suppose you'd have to come up with some sort of a modification in order to have repeater capabilities. Again would appreciate any input.

Martin
P.S.- Appreciate the advice regarding the AR platform but I think he's looking for something
more along conventional sporter lines. Besides when it comes to AR's I'm pretty ignorant!

Go over to Saubier.com as this cartridge has been discussed a bit over there.......it's a neat looking cartridge, and performs great.......Ian

I think there must be some sort of proprietary encumbrances on this cartridge because not a single manufacturer I can find offers a long arm or handgun other than FNH. Too bad. I would actually like one myself.

Savage had one or two listed in their catalog for a while. The Model 25 had two different variants listed. There were barrels and bolts made for the Remington 700, though no ready made complete rifles that I know of. Thomson Center had Contender barrels available for a while. And of course FN keeps saying that they are working on a PBR in that caliber. But all of that has been going on for several years and haven't actually seen any of them.

Back