40X action type

H

hecksf

Which of the 40X rimfire action types are considered to be the best.
The 722 type
or the 700 type?

Ted

the 722 are the older with a smooth bolt handle, they have different spring retainers for the bolt release. the newer have the knurled bolt. they both take the same bases, only the design of the bolt handle and bolt release are the main difference I know of. from the ones I own the USMC are 722's and the heavy barrels are 700 they both are very accurate and heavy duty actions. if you can buy either don't hesitate. both take the same Jewell trigger

DSCN0957.jpg the hole spacing on the 700 trigger left side and the 722 trigger right side are the same. their adjustments and shape of the safety are different. and they take weaver 35 and 36 bases, with the rear base slightly higher. on all of my cmp 40x's I used warne steel permanent ex-high part#203m. one of my triggers had the transfer bar machined and was around a lb the others all were around 2lbs. the Jewell are around 1.5oz a nice upgrade.

So, what's the real difference there Martin, the safety? Everything else sounds consistent with any of them.

the 700 has a slotted stem in front of the trigger and a spring with a detent ball moves in and out for pull weight.

if the question being asked can you drop a 722 into a 700 stock or vice versa? the answer is no without additional inletting around the bolt handle. Don Stith could answer this better than me but I think all replacement stocks are for the 700 actions. if you are lucky and got a usmc or standard barrel slight modification is needed to accomadate the bolt handle.

40X Build

Some think that the 722 Style,made under Mike Walkers,watch make a better base for a match rifle.
Mine has a PT&G,bolt and FP set up.Our best thinking is the Kelby trigger is A1 for the 40X action.
The PT&G,bolt has new bolt handle and knob also....so is it or isn't it a 40X,any more.
Gene Davis does very fine work. :)

The diff is the safety and the bolt stop; the 722 safety is not let in the receiver, the handle part bows around the receiver, so a 700 stock needs modding. Same with the bolt stop, the 722 uses a tiny spring and a different looking bolt stop, a royal PITA to work on, but a 700 bolt stop won't work on a 722 because the the little notch for the bent piano wire spring ain't there.

I have a 722 based 40X and I was stumped by the how the bolt stop worked (didn't care about the safety wasn't gonna use it anyway), so I called Remington custom shop and left a message. Keith called me back and said he didn't know either but there was an old retired Remington guy working there on contract and he'd ask him about it. The next day he called me back and said yeah, but couldn't help with parts, etc. Keith asked how attached was I to the old style receiver because he had a proposition for me, he said send it in and he would have it machined for the new style safety and bolt stop and consider it a warranty job no charge. So I sent it in, with a real bad beat-up factory trigger attached; a couple weeks later Keith calls and asks if I want F and S engraved before he sends it to the bluing shop? I said sure, why not and he asks if I want a modern trigger installed, and I asked him how much and he said same price as he quoted me before, zero. Have you ever heard of a story like this about good customer service? I love 40X and this is just another reason why.

Thanks, Douglas

Back