40-x history question

B

becket

Hi, first post here; just learning the benchrest game (life-time shooter though), and wondered about the special
6mm Olympic 40-x made around 1966. Did they have stainless barrels, and how many were made? I just recently found out there were such 40-x Olympic rifles made, and wondered what the differences were from the regular 6mms offered that year? thanks

40x history question

I think your referring to the 300 meter running boar rifles that were made for the olympics They had a free rifle stock with palm rest and accesories.
Jim Stekl would know for sure along with mike walker.
I have seen some photos of them in one of the reloading books.
The amu used them in the olympics i believe.
i know that only 300 of that style stock were made.
Al hauser is another source on that information.
My best guess as to quantity would be about 25 or so for the team.
I hope this helps you some what.

40x history question

You may be referring to the 6mm international. Information on that case is in the speer reloading manual number Nine.
I know by the late 60's remington was producing stainless barrels that were button rifled. So it's was possable they did have stainless barrels.

Last edited by a moderator:
40x

If you google Remington 40X you can find some info. One was an article written by Paul Colburn, I believe and this guy either worked for Remington, owned stock in Remington or is the most unabashed Remington homer I have ever come across. All I can say is WOW. Cheers, John.

John Lacy's book- "The Remington 700" and an article entitled "Outshooting the Russians" in the '61 Gun Digest will provide you with the background info you're looking for.

Good shooting.

Back