3phase motor on southbend 10L

The 10L I found has a 3/4 hp 3 phase motor with an Allen Bradley motor starter.
If I buy a single phase to 3 phase vfd. I'm guess I remove the motor starter all together and go from new vfd directly to motor correct or not?

Pics of motor starter.
The sucking thing would be if the 3 phase motor was bad. I didn't see it under power

I kind of liked the thought of speed control with the vfd. It's same price or lees than a new single phase motor

This is the vfd I'm thinking of or something equal too
http://www.wolfautomation.com/produ..._pIo4rkW1jWbbdZ6HKXRb4nf44OGxtYdZcaAvbm8P8HAQ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
I use a Phase o Matic static converter on my Emco V-13. I bought it several years ago for about $100 and it's worked well for me. You could buy one, make sure your motor is good and If you want to upgrade later you can always sell the static converter for close to what you paid.
dave

South Bend 10L and VFD

The 10L I found has a 3/4 hp 3 phase motor with an Allen Bradley motor starter.
If I buy a single phase to 3 phase vfd. I'm guess I remove the motor starter all together and go from new vfd directly to motor correct or not?

Pics of motor starter.
The sucking thing would be if the 3 phase motor was bad. I didn't see it under power

I kind of liked the thought of speed control with the vfd. It's same price or lees than a new single phase motor

This is the vfd I'm thinking of or something equal too
http://www.wolfautomation.com/produ..._pIo4rkW1jWbbdZ6HKXRb4nf44OGxtYdZcaAvbm8P8HAQ

Go with a VFD and keep the Motor Starter; it is for safety if nothing else.

May have some bullets available shortly

Bill

Get the VFD and wire it directly to the motor. Remove the motor starter. It is completely unnecessary and could actually cause damage to the VFD if it should drop out while the VFD is under load. Do not use the VFD's control panel as it is not a durable device. Make up a a local control panel with START, STOP buttons, FORWARD-REVERSE selector sw. and a speed control pot. Use industrial duty oil-tight devices and it will last a lifetime. Install a 2-pole power switch upstream of the VFD for power-up and as an emergency stop switch. That's really all you need.

RWO

Personally, I would find a vfd with a 220vac input, instead of the one in your link for 110vac input.

I know they work, but they dont seem to work very long in my very limited experience of managing a dozen or so at work.
I've been through two of those 110vac input ones in the last year, each only lasted a few months before it went tits up. I went back to 220vac input ones, which in the past have seemed to work for years before burning up.

Just my .02
Cheers, YV

Thanks for all the replys
I lucked into a freebie 110v 1 hp motor same frame and shaft. Needed a new capacitor and start contacts.
I'm good now

But thanks again for the help

Dont part with the old 3ph motor...You might want to switch back to it before too long.

110vac motors arent for machine tools, they lack power, even well geared.

Dont part with the old 3ph motor...You might want to switch back to it before too long.

110vac motors arent for machine tools, they lack power, even well geared.

They do not leave as smooth a surface either.
Get a 240 V input VFD and have all the advantages of real 3-phase.

ETA
You will also have instant reverse.
Something no single phase motor can achieve.

Last edited:
Grizzley has a great deal on static converters, with solid state relays. You get 75% continuous power at motor, instant reversing, (witch has been an issue with statics, maybe ss relays make a diff.) at least their add says so. Of course VFD's are great.
bill

Grizzley has a great deal on static converters, with solid state relays. You get 75% continuous power at motor, instant reversing, (witch has been an issue with statics, maybe ss relays make a diff.) at least their add says so. Of course VFD's are great.
bill

Many of the 'static' phase adapters do not produce 120 degree 3-phase power.
They use 180 degrees from the split phase input and produce a 90 degree leg.

So 0 degree, and +/-180 degree.
It should be 0 degree and +/- 120 degrees (360 degrees /3).

This reduces the available power from the motor since the physical windings are well optimized for 120 degree power.
The static phase converters also have angle shift under varying loads.

Update single phase motor working well. After some brushing up on my memory form 30 years ago and some much needed help and advise from some good friends

My first chamber job on a barrel with 300 or so rounds that I had on a Bat3L set it back and chambered it for my Hall
3 shot groups seating depth work at 150yds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited: