36X scope for 50 yard match

Calfed

I recently started shooting a 50 and 100 yard .22 rifle match at the local range. I've used a 6-24 scope, set for 24 at the match with my Winchester 52. I've got a Remington 40X that I'm trying to set up to use in the match also. I've got a 36X B&L scope and was wondering if it would be appropriate for 50 and 100 yard matches. The parallax focuses down to 50', but I'm wondering if the magnification would be too high, particularly @ 50 yards.

Do people use 36X scopes at 50 yards with any success?

lEUzqj7.jpg

sxc16qK.jpg

Yes,
They also use 60x scopes.
That said many also use variable scope so they can dial them down when mirage gets bad.
Even then they usually stay at or above 36x.
TKH

I use a weaver t36 on my 40x for 50 and 100yd matches. Actually i would step up to a 45x Sightron if the budget currently allowed.

Yes,
They also use 60x scopes.
That said many also use variable scope so they can dial them down when mirage gets bad.
Even then they usually stay at or above 36x.
TKH
I use a weaver t36 on my 40x for 50 and 100yd matches. Actually i would step up to a 45x Sightron if the budget currently allowed.

I took your encouragement and the arrival of my mounting hardware today from EGW as a sign and went ahead and mounted it.

iHCxtwG.jpg

AMErts5.jpg

jfJrO5T.jpg

The metal is in great shape and the stock is solid, but pretty beat up (it's a former US property rifle), but I have a replacement in much better shape...

nRFBOPk.jpg

cQMYQ9M.jpg

rROZG6G.jpg

MVj1pRA.jpg

Last edited:
I recently started shooting a 50 and 100 yard .22 rifle match at the local range. I've used a 6-24 scope, set for 24 at the match with my Winchester 52. I've got a Remington 40X that I'm trying to set up to use in the match also. I've got a 36X B&L scope and was wondering if it would be appropriate for 50 and 100 yard matches. The parallax focuses down to 50', but I'm wondering if the magnification would be too high, particularly @ 50 yards.

lEUzqj7.jpg

sxc16qK.jpg
[/QUOTE

I have a 42x and shoot a usbr target (the 10 ring is 0.099) and you need to be able to hold off to the edge of that ring at times. Works for me

lEUzqj7.jpg

sxc16qK.jpg

I have a 42x and shoot a usbr target (the 10 ring is 0.099) and you need to be able to hold off to the edge of that ring at times. Works for me

Damn...what distance is that match shot at?

BR Scope

36x is not too much scope for 50y rimfire BR matches. I use a 36x Sightron for ARA matches on my Remington and it works great. I have friends who go much higher on magnification as high as 50x and 60x. I have a bias here. I think that as long as you can see the tgt clearly, then more magnification is not really a benefit and could?? sometimes be a detriment. The rifle does not know what power the scope is and it shoots the same either way. So the scope is merely an aiming tool. I have a 40x optic that is too much scope for many cases. It is easy to loose track of where you are on the tgt and makes it easier to make a mistake and fail to engage a tgt. That is not a big deal and is easy to avoid with care but 36x is enough for me. For some of my old classic Win 52's I have 24x, 20x and 10x scopes mounted. The 10x is a very clear old Fecker and is not really much of a handicap. With the 10x mounted I was shooting 248's and 249's. I replaced it with a 20x Unertl and was shooting 250/19x in the first outing so it did make a small improvement on what was already a great old rifle. The 20x is plenty of magnification for 50y BR. Other factors like wind and ammo variance become the more important variables at that point.

Back