35 Whelen Ackely Improved

truck driver

I had a M70 30-06 bored to .358 and chambered to 35Whelen Ackely Improved. When I got it back from the gun Smith I found it had a short throat and was jamming the lands with saami length ammo (3.340") so I sent it back with instructions to lengthen the throat. It was lengthened longer than the magazine and I can't tune my loads to get rid of the dreaded two in one out. The second shot is always the one out with the third touching or beside the first. If I set the barrel back and chamber so I can reach the lands just shy of the magazine length would this help solve my problem?

35 Whelen

The 35 Whelen is a wonderful hunting cartridge..... What kind of accuracy were you expecting......???? mine will shoot 1 MOA with a shilen select match barrel and I`m satisfied with that.......
bill

I would like to see under one inch on a regular basis. Right now inch and a half to two inches. My standard 35Whelen will shoot 3/4" with 200gr accubond all day long in it's factory barrel.
I've edit to add a picture of an average group, 200gr AB 62gr IMR8208XBR 2960fps shot out of my 35 Whelen Ackely Improved 24" rebored 1-12" twist barrel that started out as a Winchester factory 30-06 barrel.

Attachments

• KIMG0143.jpeg
    KIMG0143.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
35 Whelen Ackley Improved.....?

I recently sold my Remington Classic 700 (1988) in 35 Whelen to a friend. It shot 1moa using 250 gr Speer spitzer point over IMR 4064, Barrel twist of 1-16". Choreographed at 2500 FPS. An improved version might gain another 150 FPS. So what! These loading specs were the favorite of Finn AAgard who wrote in The American Rifleman several years ago. I think "truck driver"s problem might have been the barrel twist.

MHO.....Ted

Not really sure if a consistent "2 in, 1 out" would be indicative of a bore twist problem. I assume you have fired groups using different seating depths. If so, and before additional gunsmith work, I would try several bullets and maybe other powders.

Some years ago, I had a couple of .35 Whelens and one .35 Whelen Improved. Never got great accuracy from the Ruger .35 Whelen with any component combination, but a Remington .35 Whelen and a commercial Mauser shot very well with the 250 Speer and IMR4064. I probably never realized more than about a 75 fps gain in velocity with the Improved over the standard version and it took about two more grains of powder to get that. However, because of the Improved version's shoulder angle, I don't recall ever having to trim brass.

Boots Obermeyer turned me a barrel in the 60's for the standard Whelen using a 14 twist in my 760 Rem. I used RL.11 and 3031. It did well for me.

The idea for the Improved chamber was to cut down on case neck stretch and having to trim the cases. There are more reasons than just velocity gain to chamber for the Improved version. The 1-12" twist was for heavy bullets but I would like the option to use lighter bullets for whitetail deer. The 1-14" twist might have been better for all around use. I'm stuck with what I have so I want to make the best of it. Also boring a sporter weight barrel larger could be causing some harmonic distortion. If I were to rebarrled I would go with the 1-14" twist since some professionals think it is the best.

Last edited:
Seems to me you got what you wanted but lacking accuracy and you may of answered you own question about that barrel. Problem I see is that you haven't posted anything about accuracy with heavier bullets?

Trimming cases isn't the pain in the A$$

Trimming is quick and easy with the cool tools out there these days . I can trim 50 cases in just a few days

Seems to me you got what you wanted but lacking accuracy and you may of answered you own question about that barrel. Problem I see is that you haven't posted anything about accuracy with heavier bullets?

I haven't shot any heavier bullets for load development yet since the primary use will be for whitetail deer. Some day I would like to hunt Alaska is the reason for the fast twist. What 225gr bullets I have shot groups around 1" and could be tuned for smaller groups. I'm also having trouble finding 225gr bullets in quantity for testing and load development.

I haven't shot any heavier bullets for load development yet since the primary use will be for whitetail deer. Some day I would like to hunt Alaska is the reason for the fast twist. What 225gr bullets I have shot groups around 1" and could be tuned for smaller groups. I'm also having trouble finding 225gr bullets in quantity for testing and load development.

Truck Driver;
I no longer need the bullets I have for my Whelen, as I quit hunting.I have the following bullets I will part with.
100- 200 Gr, Hornady spire pt.
64 - 200 gr. Hornady spire pt.
95-200 gr. Hornady RN.
65--180 Gr. Hornady Flat nose

Email or send me a PM.

Joe

Back