338 lapua or 338-378 weatherby mag????

N

Nhuwar

Can I get some opinions on the pro's and con's of these 2 round. I'm building a new gun and I'm going fro 1500 yards + but don't want a 50bmg of 408 chey-tac yet. Is there even really a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Nick

The .338-378Wea. has more powder capacity and can be loaded about 100-150fps. faster.

The fact, that Lapua brass is available only in the .338Lapua, personally I wouldn't go any further than that.

When I'll get around to it, my next project is a .338AI Lapua in my own uncompromised action.

Shoot better
Peter

338 Lapua IMHO. The Lapua brass is exceptional and no belt to contend with. Plenty of real estate to improve that case as well. Very long range case. Have witnessed hits out to 2100yds with a 338 Lapua Improved and am certain the rifle was capable of more. Get an action designed to handle the Rigby case head. I am in the camp that a Rem 700 or clone with identical bolt diameter is not safe for the case.

Rob

Im using a stiller tac338 action which is designed for the lapua or wheatherby.

So by what I read the extra 100 or so feet per sec doesn't warrant the use the the weatherby.

It does seem that the lapua brass is made by more companies.

Where can I find some info on the ackley version of the lapua?

Thanks

Nick

The .338-378Wea. brass

as far as I know is only made by Norma. Personally I prefer the Lapua brass, as it's harder, stronger and the primer pockets last much longer.

.338Lapua vs .338AI Lapua - The AI version has about 5-6gr. of powder advantage for about 100fps. extra velocity.

Try to Google it.

Shoot better
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that but no dice on googling at least no specific case dimension data.

Do you know where I can get a 338AI lapua chamber ream????

Nick

Not for sure,

But perhaps a PT&G, Clymer or some other popular reamer makers have or can make you one. Try and see.

Shoot better
Peter

I think I will talk to my gunsmith first about what brand of reamer he likes to use and go from there.

I still haven't been able to find a drawing of the ackley improved version. Any ideas?

Thanks
Nick

Thanks for all the help Y'all Just one thing where does Dave Kiff work?

Nick

Here is a pic of the 338AI next to a standard round.

thumper.jpg

The others are a 300WBY and a 6.5x284.

Dave Kiff works at Pacific Tool and Gage. He makes arguably the best reamers in the business.

Ok one other question, what do you do for reloading dies for these wildcats?

Thanks

Ok one other question, what do you do for reloading dies for these wildcats?

Thanks

Redding makes the sizing die for a "standard" 338LAI 40° shoulder, Get the S-type for different bushings to control the neck tension.

Have the gunsmith chamber you a Wilson type seater with the chamber reamer.

Can I get some opinions on the pro's and con's of these 2 round. I'm building a new gun and I'm going fro 1500 yards + but don't want a 50bmg of 408 chey-tac yet. Is there even really a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Just a thought....if 1500 yards is your goal, why don't you make life easier and build a 1:10 twist 300WSM? This will push most any 200+ grain bullet well past 1 mile. If you really want a hot rod, make a 300 Ackley and shoot the 240 Sierras. Life will be much easier. The 338 LAI is capable well beyond your intended range.

Just a thought....if 1500 yards is your goal, why don't you make life easier and build a 1:10 twist 300WSM? This will push most any 200+ grain bullet well past 1 mile. If you really want a hot rod, make a 300 Ackley and shoot the 240 Sierras. Life will be much easier. The 338 LAI is capable well beyond your intended range.

Ya I know but I want one :D.

I just finished having a custom 300 rum build. I just like to spend money I guess. I used to have a big 30-378 weatherby and want another one of those big ones in a 338. I just think the lapua is a better round and easier to source brass then the 338 weatherby.

And besides I have already ordered a Stiller Precision Firearms tac338 action.

The 338 Ultramag has about the same capacity as the Lapua natural. Friends and I have built several 338-416 Rigby Imp. and 338 Lapua Imp. (same reamer works for both) and they work well. The bite is buying dies. Most of them came from Hornady Custom dies but getting more expensive all of the time.
I'd do a bolt swap or change actions and go with the 338 Ultramag. I'd go tight neck, turn brass and use Redding bushing dies. No fireforming brass required.

i am using an improved version of the lapua now. allthough we have a undersized reamer from dave for a sizing die, i sent some fired cases to neil jones and had him make me a sarn nice fl sizer. seating dies are simple, you can buy a standard 338 lapua wilson chamber type, and have your smith run the chamber reamer in it.
the reamer we used is a tight neck, if i had it to do again i would just have a minimun spec built. it is throated for 300 smk's, and hopefully works when eric gets the bergers out. if you want me to fax our print just send me a pm. like i said i would change the neck dimention, but i love everything else. 3000 with retumbo with a 300grainer is accurate, and easy to get if you are using a real action.
tom

Back