3200 scope

MD5200

does anyone know anything about a redfield 3200 scope. are they any good. is there anyone out there that can work on them? whats a 20 x worth. thanks md5200

I've had two over the years. I loved them both. One spent many years on my Anschutz 1413 and the other lived on my 222 High Wall. These are great scopes... for their purpose. Also note that I was much happier with the scope on the Anschutz than the one on the 222. I never could prove it, but I always thought that the scope on the High Wall changed POI after the barrel got really warm. Remember: this scope has internal adjustments and the mounts are rigid. A Unertl target scope, on the other hand, is allowed to slide for-and-aft and is held into battery with a spring. I found that the Redfield was a bit brighter than the Unertl, but the Unertl is far more flexible in mounting, adjustment, and repeatability. In my case, my 1413 was dedicated to 50-yd small-bore match. Everything was tweaked to 50 yd, and the zero changed only when I changed lots of ammo. For this, it worked great.

My humble opinion: it is a fantastic scope... for small bore. BTW: finding mounts may be a problem. The rear mount... no problem at all. It goes on the receiver bridge. The front mount, however, goes on the barrel. The mounts on my Highwall were custom made from a set of Remington 700 "donor" rings. Plan on having the front ring made by a competent gunsmith. As for value, I sold a 24X, in excellent condition, on eBay. Got $485 for it. A place called ABO used to be the "official" US repair center for Redfield. I have never used their services, nor do I have any knowledge of the quality of their work.

thanks for the info.very helpful. funny i would like to mount it on a high wall i'm building. i remember back in the70's when they came out with the internal adjustments on the benchrest scopes , it was kind of controversal and if i remember right they were not very reliable. in my opinion they look realy neat and would be right at home on a high wall. thanks again md5200

There's really nothing wrong with an original 3200 except it's size. I've got one of the first batch (low serial #)that I got from a Redfield executive's estate, as well as one I bought new in the # 2000 range in '71 or 2. Both have been just fine for me, on NRA prone and position guns as well as live varmints. If yours is broken, try Bill Ackerman in New Mexico.

If you don't have the factory rings, take a look at the Browning 78/85 system from Burris, or, the Ruger #1V. A custom approach could also be used by any of the detatchable 1" rings on appropriate dovetail bases. Not a major problem.

Good luck with the project.:D

Redfield 3200's

I have had a few Redfield 3200's...

My first 3200 was in 12X and was on a Ruger M77V in .220 swift.
My second one was also a 3200 in 12X. I sent the 12X to Redfield for a 24X conversion. It came back as new......

These scopes were the cat's meow in their time. Although long, the optics were as good as available. The length of the scope was not compatable to short actions, (that's why the 6400 series came along). the 3200 scopes had to be mounted with the rear rings on the receiver or barrel, and the front rings on the barrel. Over time the receiver mounted scopes took over. The long scopes are still popular with the single shot cast bullet rifle shooters. I put a 3200 24X on a CPS Aluminum Heavy Varmint action. This action is long and has a flat bottom. This scope fit on the action, as the span for the scope rings fit the long length of the action. This action was fitted to the flat bottom CPS aluminum I beam stock, Lilja 6PPC barrel, Jewel 2oz trigger. Did it shoot.......hell yes........KERMIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back