30ppc

Neck it up and fireform a .220 Russian. It's easier to just neck up 6.5 Grendel brass from 6.5 to 30, but that's not a 30 PPC. It's a 30 Major, which is .070 longer than a PPC to the shoulder datum. Lapua makes great brass for either.

There's a lot of confusion around the 30PPC and 30 Major. The Major has been done by a few different people, including myself. I love it and think it makes pefect sense, especially on a dedicated ppc boltface.

The confusion is rooted around Alexander Arms, who owned a trademark on the name "Grendel". It got labeled different things because calling it a 30 Grendel was a trademark infringement. He has let the trademark go, since.

Whichever you build, for whatever reasons, do the research and talk to the people that actually know what is what.

I've been building and shooting my 30 Major rifles since 2007. It's capacity is right between a PPC and a BR.---Mike Ezell

I have shot a 30 PPC

I am curious How is the 30PPC made? . What bullets are being used?

for 5+ years now. You can:

1) take 220 Russian and fill them w/ Red Dot and put a throw a bullet on them and shoot them in a 6MM, a 6MM, a 6MM barrel. Did I say 6MM barrel?, that has a 30 PPC chamber in it to blow out the necks. Or.... you can buy 7.62 x 39 Lapua brass and push the necks back and make cases like you were doing 30X44 from 308 Lapua. I have done both, and I am using 7.62 now. i am not going to use my 220 Russian for this one. The gold box I have left is too precious. Blue box 220 Russian is crap.

the only difference

Ralph Stewart, Mike Stennett and those guys make the 30 Stewart by pushing back the shoulder on 6.5 Grendel brass.
sbetween 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 brass is expanders and primers. And for my money, the size of the primers makes nada. But the price of the brass is significant. Especially in the long term. And I only select a cartridge for LONG term.

VV N-120 is the magic pixie dust. H-4198 and LT-32 are very good. You have to work to get enough in. Mike has used a couple of other powders that show promise.

I have a lot of Reloader 7 that is awesome. Others are not dense enough.

2950 to just under 3000 is where you want to be.

Last edited:
Reloader 7

VV N-120 is the magic pixie dust. H-4198 and LT-32 are very good. You have to work to get enough in. Mike has used a couple of other powders that show promise.

I have a lot of Reloader 7 that is awesome. Others are not dense enough.

2950 to just under 3000 is where you want to be.

I have used Reloader 7 for years in my 30's all sizes with great results. Having said that, some of the barrels prefer something else but, straight ahead, the Reloader-7 is pretty dern good.

Pete

If N120 is good

what about H4227 or IMR4227? I tried the stuff in my BR but it's way too fast. One weight is good, a few tenths more and I was close to sticking a bolt.

Last edited:
I haven't shot H4227 in the 30 Major. Mike tried it. Said the same thing other folks say about it. It's great till it blows up in your face and stay away from it.

You can definitely get enough N120 in the case to shoot primer pockets loose. Also, it can be hard to get. OTOH, it's meters awesome in a volumetric dispenser or Chargemaster and you don't have to resort to a dead slow trickle to get it in.

I like LT-32 quite a bit, but it's hard to get enough in the case. I'm shooting 34.7 grains. It's every bit that you can get in the case at a slow trickle with a long-tubed funnel. I'm going to experiment with the case design some to try to get more in easier.

N120 is at least 2-3 grains slower in this case than the Aussie 4227, and even moreso compared to the Canadian 4227...but it's still quite a bit faster than h4198.

I have shot H-4227 in the 30 PPC

I haven't shot H4227 in the 30 Major. Mike tried it. Said the same thing other folks say about it. It's great till it blows up in your face and stay away from it.

You can definitely get enough N120 in the case to shoot primer pockets loose. Also, it can be hard to get. OTOH, it's meters awesome in a volumetric dispenser or Chargemaster and you don't have to resort to a dead slow trickle to get it in.

I like LT-32 quite a bit, but it's hard to get enough in the case. I'm shooting 34.7 grains. It's every bit that you can get in the case at a slow trickle with a long-tubed funnel. I'm going to experiment with the case design some to try to get more in easier.

It will work, kind of. But you will be making new cases after every Grand Agg. It it VERY hard on cases in the 30 PPC. I have not shot N-120, but I am told it works very well, if you can find/afford it. I have had good luck w/ AA-1680 and am now working on IMR 4198 that shows promise.

David

The IMR 4198 that I have is considerably less dense than my H4198. I'm using it for my 30 Major AR where I want 28.5 grains to fill the case.

Has anyone tried TAC

I know a lad who use to shoot it in a PPC with good results, as I rememeber

Pete

As I remember, I won a few matches using TAC in a 6PPC. Tony and I talked about it and he said he had decided that TAC was likely to be his next powder. Sadly, the powder sat over the winter and neither of us could get it to shoot. Don't know why but we couldn't. George Kelbly said it wouldn't work for long and he was right.

Another thing...Seems that the FIRST jugs of TAC were the only ones that worked well in the PPC. Don't know what would work in another caliber.

Back