30BR 'Dust My Broom' project

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
Being a sucker for any orphan gun that needs a new owner, I'm putting the finishing touches on this project....an Old School 30BR.

It's entire history is a bit murky but it was certainly an East Coast gun at one time. After that, it somehow made it's way to the wilds of the deepest, darkest Iowa sub continent, then through multiple hands following the death of it's owner. It ended up in the western 'Forbidden Zone' (western South Dakota) and then, like an orphan being dropped at a convent, it ended up on my doorstep one frosty January morning.

The metal work was done by Gary Long, a long time BR rifle 'smith from Millville, Pa. He and his wife Helen were very involved with the IBS and Gary was known for doing very good work. It's a 700 with a Panda foot print sleeve that Speedy Gonzales had available at one time. Bolt handle is a Holland that's been well timed with good mechanical camming. Barrel is twisted 1: 15. It's likely a Hart as Gary used a lot of those. The chamber has a bit more free bore than we'd do now but nothing too out of line. With my 1.00" 7 ogive bullets, the base of the neck is right at the halfway point down the neck to the 'TP' (Touch Point) so that's all good. The chamber is a .330 neck and the chamber and barrel both look very good. Randy Robinett shortened the barrel a smidge and did a nice indicated crown. Mike Bryant fitted a .703 sleeve to the rear of the bolt body to snug things up a bit. Thank you gentlemen!

I'm not sure who made the laminated stock. It had a lot of barrel movement when the front action screw was cracked loose, so I milled the old bedding out and made new pillars. In the mill, there was a definite high spot mid way along the length of the action. I also gave the bottom of the fore end a little New School panache. The ejector hole is plugged and my suspicion is that the plug is epoxied in since the plug is the standard .160 700 ejector size. Will see if I can get that out and get an ejector back in there. As it sits with a 21 oz. scope, its 11lb/13oz which gives plenty of leeway for balancing it.

There's 50 prepped cases here waiting to go once the weather straightens out. We ended up with 12" of new snow and high winds over the last couple days so my test fires today will be into a snow bank. :eek:

Here's a couple pics...the bedding pic was right after the barrelled action came out, prior to any chamfering, radiusing, deburring or other clean up. The pad under the barrel shank was there from the original bedding job but since it wasn't contacting the shank, I left it. The original bedding material was some sort of green-ish grey stuff. When I got it initially, there was .015-.016 of barrel movement when the front action screw was loosened. After the redo, it has right at .001 max. and the barrelled action falls right out...no binding anywhere.

Maybe some shooters from the North East can put the original owners name to it. I'd heard a couple rumors that this may have been one of Gary's personal rifles but that's not certain.

Always good to get these guns back out and doin' what they were meant to do. Every time I look at it I think of the Led Zeppelin song 'Boogie With Stu'......:cool:

https://youtu.be/REAP66zFhxU

Good shootin' -Al

SvLRYznh.jpg

rMH8yrah.jpg

xDohUOvh.jpg

evUdZn6h.jpg

LNte8Nnh.jpg

iT1YhaHh.jpg

Last edited:
David, the good stuff (metal work, etc) was done before I got it, courtesy of Gary Long.

I just rubbed a little extra love on it. :) -Al

Thats what makes it special......many craftsman add their love to create this ....and.....you did your part too to make it a beautiful rifle.....congrats

Chris, thanks so much for filling in the blanks on your gun. :) I remember well how Jim Goody and others just terrorized IBS Score Shooting with the '30 Jag'. People also forget that Jim won the IBS Score Shooter Of The Year with the 30X47'ish '30 Jag' in the semi-early days of the 30BR. ;) From the 30BR to the 30x47 variants, these .30's are very, very good.

Good shootin' :) -Al

PS: If you still have that Speedy stock and are looking to rehome it, let me know. ;)

Greetings From Central Maine,

Have you had a chance to fire the rifle yet Al? If so, what did you find out, and how were the results? An "inquiring mind" would like to know. :)

Thanks, Chris

Not yet, Chris. I've fired a few cases to set up the dies but that's it. As suspected...no surprises there. Winter still has us locked in pretty hard.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, Al. I love an old gun with some "history" to it and thanks to Chris for supplying "the rest of the story". When we first started IBS Score matches in St. Johnsbury, Maine shooters were our biggest supporters (still are!). Seems as though all of them had a Gary Long rifle or two. Then Gary and Helen attended a few of the matches and I got to understand what a fine couple they were. I wonder if Gary Long didn't build more benchrest rifles than any other single shop. I still see guns with G.Long listed as the gunsmith and the man must be responsible for at least several thousand barrels over the years. You've got a real classic there and I'm betting with it all squared up and some love rubbed into it, the groups are going to do the old girl some honor. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Reed

The weather finally straightened out enough to get to the range yesterday with this project. Winds were variable at 12-16 from the 2 o'clock. On the 5 shot group, there's a bit of a weather report. The tails were dropping when I pressed the trigger and it blobbed one out the right and a skosh low. It tuned up easily, like any good 30BR will. It shoots down low and up high...never a bad thing. Wave form was consistent and predictable as the powder charge went up.

Good shootin' :) -Al

vUuLDeKl.jpg

G0uofxhl.jpg

GRmajBil.jpg

Very nice Al! It must feel right @ home in that set-up. Back then, I had [and still own] the same rear bag, and used a Bald Eagle front rest but it had a windage top.

Now I use a dbl-bottomed DR, and a Farley joy stick front rest. I can get around an IBS Score target a lot faster and run a holding condition, but cannot honestly say whether they're any better than the original equipment.

Looks like the "345" [34.5 gr] load is the one. I was never able to get it to shoot that well. Congrats on doing so, and thanks for the update.

Best of wishes,

Chris

Chris, this has been a very satisfying project. Like any project, there's a few things to do.

For cases, I went through my stash of 30BR cases and found 50 that I had last shot in 2011 and rehabbed them into service. The back ends have been hammered pretty hard for close to 100 firings. I used them just too see if the gun would shoot. With that question answered, I'll make some new cases for it. For Lapua cases, I'd want the back end of the chamber polished out a skosh. Another alternative would be the excellent Peterson 7BR brass that's about .4685 at the .200 line. That way, the back end can blow out to match the chamber and a Harrel's #2, 2.5 or a standard Redding Type 'S' bushing die would be perfect for sizing.

Good shootin' and thanks for letting be a part of this guns story. :) -Al

30 br

Al I'm pretty sure that may have been one of Bill's sold at last year's score nationals in Webster City
Ron

It was, Ronnie. Unfortunately, I never knew Bill.

How I missed it on the 'For Sale' table last year, I don't know. Probably had my eyeball fixed on that Scoville/Kodiak..... ;) -Al

Back