.308 Norma Mag

E

ExtremeGunCare

Does anyone know if I would need to make any changes to a bolt action if I convert a .30-06 to a .308 Norma Mag? I know I would need to ream the barrel, etc.

I just was not sure if I needed to change anything with the bolt action.

I currently have a 1903 Springfield .30-06 already converted to a .308 Norma Mag that is used for hunting. I was wanting to create another one for the bench.

Many Thanks,

Jason

Yes,

You would need to make the .473 bolt face a .532 boltface.

There is room in the magazine but heavy long bullets would need to be seated rather short to feed. Additionaly you may need to adjust the way the feed lips are coming out of the magazine. I used to shoot a .300 Win mag. The 2 are very close, but I like the design of the Norma version better.

Paul

Last edited:
Yes,

You would need to make the .473 bolt face a .532 boltface.

There is room in the magazine but heavy long bullets would need to be seated rather short to feed. Additionaly you may need to adjust the way the feed lips are coming out of the magazine. I used to shoot a .300 Win mag. The 2 are very close, but I like the design of the Norma version better.

Paul

Thank you Paul. With the Norma Mag that I currently have, I could not tell if anything additional had been done to it other than the barrel. I guess I just need to find a local gunsmith and pull on their ear. I was wanting to find an action to convert it instead of taking an old gun like the 1903 and convert it. It seems like there are a ton of .308 bolt actions out there being made, but had not came across the .30-06 bolt actions yet. I know I need the .30-06 bolt action cause of the length of the .308 Norma Mag.

Jason

Thank you Paul. With the Norma Mag that I currently have, I could not tell if anything additional had been done to it other than the barrel. I guess I just need to find a local gunsmith and pull on their ear. I was wanting to find an action to convert it instead of taking an old gun like the 1903 and convert it. It seems like there are a ton of .308 bolt actions out there being made, but had not came across the .30-06 bolt actions yet. I know I need the .30-06 bolt action cause of the length of the .308 Norma Mag.

Jason

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say you need to find a .30-06 action. What I though you asked was "what was need to make a .30-06 into a .308 Norma mag"? If you don't have the action, don't go buy a .30-06, find a long action in .300 mag, or .338 Mag, or 7mm mag or something like that. Then you won't have to change the feed rails or the boltface.

Paul

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say you need to find a .30-06 action.

On the contrary, I was not putting words in your mouth. I was thanking you for informing me about the boltface on a .30-06 action. I am the one that is deciding to use another .30-06 action to convert. I just haven't quit decided on using another rifle to convert or find an action like Bat, Hall or Haverkamp.

Back a decade or three, a popular conversion here in Australia was to swap a P14 bolt into a good M17 & run a .308 Norma magnum reamer up the 30/06 barrel.

Back