300wsm varminter

L

longrange223

finally got my 300 varminter & shooting it is a blast! mod 70 magnum action with a rock creek 20 twist with a little gain,0 freebore .337 neck,shooting norma brass with 73 grs of n550 with a fed 215m primers with bib 112 gr danzac coated bullets,came in at 3892 fps avg,could go hotter but don't want to wreck my brass,only shot it at 200yds so far & it's averaging in the mid .4s for 3 shot groups,think it'll get better when i get to play around with seating depth,at 17 lbs with the harrells brake it's like shooting a .243,going to it's first groundhog shoot this weekend to try it out,talk about flat shooting! zeroed at 100yds it only needs 6 clicks for 300 & 21 clicks for 500 according to the ballistics program,we'll see this weekend....

seems to so far,you're the one who gave me the idea to try it! after a talk with paul we decided at 3900fps it should stabilize pretty well,if a 30br will at 3000fps i don't see why mine wouldn't! lol

hal,if you feel the urge i've got the reamer laying here in the desk drawer,sure you've got a real slow twist barrel laying around somewhere! you're welcome to try it if you like...r

just back from sight in out to 500yds,up 6 clicks for 300 & up 17 for 500!what a hoot vaporizing clay pigeons at 500 yds!,looks like a keeper! and yes it looks like it will stabilize the bullet with that slow opf a twist hal!

pretty neat to play with! can't wait to see what it will do when i really get some time to work on loads for it!

Randy this is an interesting rifle, I have a few questions Did you build this for varmint hunting or shooting paper?. The other question is did you look into why there is such a difference in the drop you originally reported of 21@ 500 to the drop you actually verified? being 17@ 500. The reason I ask is I am trying to find a more accurate way to calculate the drop at long range that will get me in the ballpark before setting the targets up. Thanks

Ultimate 300 wsm varmiter

Funny reading this thread as I returned from a weekend where my friend an I shot his .300wsm 1000 yard BR rifle to shoot rabbits. I thought he was kidding when he suggested it. The first time I have sighted through a 10x - 80x March scope. We were able to hit those pests beyond 1000 yards when we placed wind flags out amongst the warrens. It was fun.
Andy.

built it mostly for our local groundhog shoots,i haven't found a way to accuratelyfigure the clicks out either,the computer program gets it close but nothing takes the place of actual shooting,it'll at least get you in the ballpark!if you figure out a better way let us all know,would like to try it on a few live targets this summer & see what it does

Yeah Greg had all the scope micrometer settings for the various ranges written down on a card. He took several days of testing to get the data. It was a case of dial it up and allow for the wind. The adjustments on that March scope were very repeatable.

Andy.

Just wondering what a rabbit @ 1000 yd looks like dancing in the mirage on a warm summer day at 80X???

Rabbits at 1000yds

I remember the trip well as it was quite cold. Well cold by Aussie standards anyway about 2 degrees C. The air was fairly still about 1 to 2 KM per Hr. Practically no mirrage until about midday. So I didn't really experience rabbits at 80x with mirrage. The afternoon shoot was similar to the morning. But yeah I don't think either of us would have been too keen on 80x during the summer.

Andy.

Back