300WSM sizing issue

Ackley Improved

Hi

It is time to FL size my 300WSM cases, getting a little to tight closing the bolt, but have run into a issue.

The Redding body and standard FL die will not size the base, which is the tight area.

My chamber is 0.502" at the base, and the dies 0.504". A new case measures 0.4995" ish.

So there is the issue, but the reamer was not any sort of tight base design. Does the Redding die seam a little big?

Cheers

I use the Reddings without issues.
I'll have to size a few this weekend, I'll measure mine and let you know.

You guys who can say "die brand X is tighter (or looser) than die brand Y" have had different experience than me. I've had three dies from the same maker be three different sizes.

IME die-to-chamber fit using factory dies is pure-dee luck of the draw.

Of course this is dies made years apart etc.... maybe some of the modern CNC driven mfg methods have produced the kind of consistencies often quoted and I just don't know any better!

al

Hey, you guys with 300WSM's, what are your fired cases meauring at around that 0.200" area? Keen to know if my chamber is tigher than usual!

Have sent emails off to both RCBS and Hornady asking size at base. My Redding is 0.554", and my fored cases 0.552".

CHeers

Back