300WSM loaded neck diameters

Ackley Improved

Guys

I am chasing the neck diameters of the 300WSM as loaded rounds.

The measurments I need are with Winchester and Norma brass.

Trying to work out what neck size I should go, with minimal neck turning, but so I can use both brands of brass in the rifle once complete!

Cheers
AI

In .30 cases I use .336 necks and turn my cases down to .012 to .013 thickness. I end up with a .332 finished cartridge neck and use a .330 bushing. This way I use just enough neck tension to firmly hold the bullet.

Good luck,
Danny

Danny

So you are turning them down a fair bit. What cases are you using?

I want minimal turn chamber, but want to be able to use both Winchester and Norma brass. I would be thinking that they both would be around the 0.338" loaded.

So, if I went to a 0.338 chamber, then I would need to turn them down to about 0.336", and use a 0.334 bushing.

Cheers
AI

Try .338"

I use .338" neck on my WSM's nice clean up. Works well with both winchester and norma cases.

Nice

This is what I need.

Anyone else out there going to confirm the neck sizes?

How much turning is required for the 0.338 neck. Minimal?

Cheers
AI

338 Neck

I've got one that the Springmans built. Exactly the right size. Minimal turning required. Just clean it up. More if you want to.

Winchester brass

The first brass that came out on the market was only about .014 thickness. It took turning it down that much to make the brass concentric. Since then the later lots have been a touch thicker. But it worked, so I stayed with it.

I am thinking of trying some of the Norma brass, though I wish some of the other manufacturers would make it also.

Danny

300 Wsm

Ackley Improved
I am running a tight neck so my measurements would not be of use to you.
But trying to use Winchester and Norma brass in the same chamber has a problem. The Win. brass is .5495 at the base the Norma is .5520. You can decide from there what to do.

Back