300WSM cartridge setup

B

blacktornado

Finally ,after 1year waiting, my gunsmith got all parts from USA to make my new long distance rifle. It will have a three lugs BAT 1,55'' Round action LPRB, 30'' Krieger 1,45'' straight, March 10-60.It will be 300wsm,norma brass,CCI and Federal primers upon tests,H4350 and Berger VLD210. Can I have some suggestions on prepairing case,touching lands or in or out, 60to 62 grains will be fine?,which dies is better to use( usually I use redding competition with body and neck dies).I would like to know if it is necessary to prepair the case of this cal as we do in short distance bench rest shooting.
Thank you for your help
Blacktornado

I'd say go with .011 to .0125 inches (.279 to .318mm) for your necks. As for touching or not, I like not, jumping anywhere from almost nothing to 5mm or more. In my rifles, the only thing that was bad was touching. Anything else worked fine.

Lots of guys here use the bushing dies and have great success. Others get dies made after they have the gun.

Yes, treat it just like a short range rifle, if what you mean is, do I have to do really nice case work to get this to work as well as it can. The answer is yes. Nice cartridge work will give you better results.

Most guys I know prefer to full length resize every time. I always did that.

Congratulations on the new rifle. That sounds like a real first class arrangement. You're going to be really happy I'm sure. I think you'll also find this to be the easiest rifle you have to get shooting well. Good Luck.

I have .338 neck in mine and i prepare the case by neck turning to 13.5 thous. and i do the pocket and flash hole. The load will depend upon the twist and how tight the barrel is. I use Federal primer, 210 Berger VLD and H 4350 powder. I shoot them in. Matt

I have .338 neck in mine and i prepare the case by neck turning to 13.5 thous. and i do the pocket and flash hole. The load will depend upon the twist and how tight the barrel is. I use Federal primer, 210 Berger VLD and H 4350 powder. I shoot them in. Matt

My twist is 1:10.I've been told to start from 60 grains then 60,5 then 61 up to 62.

With the Krieger 10 twist and shooting them in the rifling, you should be ok to start at 60 grains and you probably won't get above 61.5. Matt

At least after some months it seems my gunsmith is delivering me the new rifle this week. It has Bat 3lugs 1,55'' round action, Krieger barrel 1,45'' straight 30'' , barrel block, jewell, -20 Moa ring, stock similar to Mc Millan F class, JGS reamer for Berger 210 VLD March 10-60 scope. I got body and neck Redding competition dies and Wilson seater. I start with norma cases where I've uniformed flash holes,primer seat and case lenght. I will use CCI BR2 primers, 60,5 grains of H4350 and Berger 210 VLD touching lands with OAL of 3,118''. Total rifle Weight is 21,82 lbs. What do you think all of you?

300wsm

Since this is an older thread ,I'll chime in.You are definitly heading in the right direction.I would like to add that just touching the VLDs might not be a good idea,try atleast .010 -.015 into the lands,also why not just get a redding FL "s" bushing die ,my guns shoot better with a .002-003 shoulder bump everytime I size them.MattD

Blacktornado there you have it from three of the top 1000 yard shooters in the country! I can't chime in because DK hunt 14 says I haven't shot a 100 score yet. And every one says we don't get answers from the top shooters in the country!

Joe Salt

Finally I went to the range yesterday and I break in my new rifle.I didn't get H4350 yet then I used N560 and N160 . Last one doesn't work properly, not enough speed and not accurate. I tested 61 and 62 grains. No good. I used 65 grains of N560, 2920fps with Berger 210VLD just touching lands, CCI BR2 5 shots at 330yards group was 0.94". No bad!! I went to 66 grains of N560 2935fps and I fired 10 shots at 330yards and group was 1.05". Today H4350 is arrived. We will see

Back