300 yd. NBRSA SE Regional 4 gun Championship

burtona

Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club has been holding this match for a number of years. We have seen this match decline in attendance for the last few years to less than 30 shooters this year. I'm sure part of it is that a lot of shooters don't like seeing big groups at 300 yds and dont care to shoot 300 yd. matches. Travel cost for a two day match probably contribute. We are trying to decide if we should continue holding the match next year. It's a losing deal with this number of shooters considering the time for helpers work credit hours, trophies for a 4 gun match, and loss of the rifle range to members for three days.
We are looking for things we could do to increase the number of shooters so that it's a better than break even deal. What ideas do you BR shooters have?

Dave,

It doesn't help answer your question, but attendance is down everywhere -- I think there were less than 30 shooters at the SE Regionals at Rachel's Glenn, too.

I would hate to loose the 300 yard SE match. I don't make it every year, but I always put it on the calendar & if life lets me, I go.

As for ideas, well not many. The only thing I can think of would be to run parallel matches right alongside. There are a number of 600 and 1,000 shooters within easy travel of Charlotte, and I think some of them would be interested in seeing how their 17-pound rifles would stack up against a short-range BR rifle when the distances are a little longer than 100 & 200 yards. But at 17 pounds, they'd have to compete with the rail guns only, in just one 10-shot match. If there was a parallel class, non sanctioned, but acknowledged, they might show up. Same, I suppose, with a Factory Class, though "Factory" and "group match" aren't often seen together.

If the long-range BR guns could shoot against the sort range BR guns at 300, I'd be hard pressed to decide which to shoot. For sure, if life allowed, I'd be there.

Charles, we had 30-32 shooters depending on which gun was being shot. I was talking to Cross Printing who does the NBRSA News and they said that when they started printing for the NBRSA they would print 2400 copies and now they print less than 1600.

Membership is down and it's probable because of a combination of things. Cost of travel, components are probably the two biggest causes. I took a 2 year hiatus from shooting but plan on starting back in 2008. I don't know how many matches I will attend simply because being away from home just gets old to me. In my younger days there was nothing I loved more than hitting the road and travelling. Now, I hate to go to town for anything.

I keep seeing new shooters attend the matches but the older shooters are quitting at a faster rate. Don't know what the solution is, though.

Hi Mickey,

I could not make your Fall shoot but I am waiting anxiously for dates for the Spring match that you mentioned recently.

John

John,
The spring match will be the first weekend in April. That's the 5th and 6th. We will shoot all four guns at 200 yards with 5 shot unlimited, just as we have done the past few years. Our four day shoot's 'success' was not up to our expectations and everybody's predictions plus it was a lot of work moving the target frames. We're back in our old rut. We will have our fall match the middle of October. Same format. Hope you'll be able to make it. We run a good match and have a lot of fun.

Come on guys, this is Dave Condor's thread . . .

I don't think there is much any of the participating clubs can do to increase regular NBRSA or IBS shooter attendance. We're just seem to be in one of those times when people are staying close to home, not traveling as much.

The clubs that host matches can, though, increase participation somewhat if they want to, in order to justify the "range time" matches take. It is, I guess, up to the individual clubs to decide just what steps to take, keep going as is, add non-sanctioned competition in parallel with the sanctioned competition, or stop having sanctioned matches.

I suppose there are people who don't like 300 yards, maybe for the same reason that some big-time skeet shooters who won't compete when it's too windy.

But I've always enjoyed Charlotte and the 300 yard format & sure hope it continues. . . . And, I'd like to see how long range BR rifles compete against short range BR rifles at a distance a bit out of either of their "specialties." 300 yards sounds just about right.

Dave,

Here are some ideas, but they take some organization and work.

Marketing is the key. I would start by sending emails or letters (or both) to individual shooters inviting them to attend the match. Include with it a registration form, strip map and a list of suggested motels. If possible also include local attractions and events that are happening during the match. These are a nice touch for the ladies.

About two weeks out from the match start sending emails again and get on the phone calling folks. Nothing works better than a personal invitation particularly if the shooter is on the fence about attending. Where do you get these emails and phone numbers? There should also be a record of those who have shot there in the past. As well as Steve Lee’s Bug Hole program which had nearly every shooter’s address in the country. If none of that worked I’d call up other match directors and get a copy of their mailing lists.

Also about two weeks out let folks know about the shoot on Benchrest Central and be prepared to answer shooters questions.

Try to get a quality write-up about the shoot. Not just the standard “the winds were light and variable, and such and such won the LV”. Dick Wright’s articles about the Shamrock match in Dublin Georgia have done a bunch to promote that match. If something could get into Precision Shooting with lots of pictures it would be great.

Some match history would help. A leaflet with past yardage and 4 gun winners. What are the range records? What world records have been shot there? Shooters like to see the matches’ history. Shooters also like to see where they are a part of the history.

Match dates are also critical. If you schedule the match close to (before or after) the nationals you are hosed. Try to stay three weeks away from any other major shooting events if possible.

Issues at the match:

Address any problems that the match had in the past and explain how they are being fixed. Safety officers with pistols, electrical problems, rubber backing on the targets are a few that I can think of. If there is going to be food available say so, if not let folks know so they can plan accordingly.

OK that is more than 2 cents worth.

Hope this helps!

Bart

Wow

Dave,

Here are some ideas, but they take some organization and work.

Marketing is the key. I would start by sending emails or letters (or both) to individual shooters inviting them to attend the match. Include with it a registration form, strip map and a list of suggested motels. If possible also include local attractions and events that are happening during the match. These are a nice touch for the ladies.

About two weeks out from the match start sending emails again and get on the phone calling folks. Nothing works better than a personal invitation particularly if the shooter is on the fence about attending. Where do you get these emails and phone numbers? There should also be a record of those who have shot there in the past. As well as Steve Lee’s Bug Hole program which had nearly every shooter’s address in the country. If none of that worked I’d call up other match directors and get a copy of their mailing lists.

Also about two weeks out let folks know about the shoot on Benchrest Central and be prepared to answer shooters questions.

Try to get a quality write-up about the shoot. Not just the standard “the winds were light and variable, and such and such won the LV”. Dick Wright’s articles about the Shamrock match in Dublin Georgia have done a bunch to promote that match. If something could get into Precision Shooting with lots of pictures it would be great.

Some match history would help. A leaflet with past yardage and 4 gun winners. What are the range records? What world records have been shot there? Shooters like to see the matches’ history. Shooters also like to see where they are a part of the history.

Match dates are also critical. If you schedule the match close to (before or after) the nationals you are hosed. Try to stay three weeks away from any other major shooting events if possible.

Issues at the match:

Address any problems that the match had in the past and explain how they are being fixed. Safety officers with pistols, electrical problems, rubber backing on the targets are a few that I can think of. If there is going to be food available say so, if not let folks know so they can plan accordingly.

OK that is more than 2 cents worth.

Hope this helps!

Bart

Damn Bart, you are the man.

I might not have room to talk being as i havent shot much lately but here goes any way.reason for south east reg. going down
#1 I think in the past most of us that shot the 300yd did so because we shot most of the other matches in the southeast I loved it has allways been a well run match.I think the big picture is that we lost alot of ranges where most of the members where in driveing distance to.alot VA and NC shooters cant drive as far south as the matches moved to.
#2 IBS score matches are taking over poping up all over the place taking alot of new shooters and some of the old ones to.Can you blame the guys they can shoot a match about every weekend and not drive over a few hrs to do so.
I dont know how to fix things but i sure hope we can i love group shooting.
I use to love the SER TOP 20 Program when i could get to the matches to be competitive in it.back in the 80s and 90s we had 60+ shooters at most big matches and i would say around 50 at a reg matches.

Lots of good ideas and maybe we can incorporate some if them in our plans.
I wish we had the kind of club that would take on this and other matches as a club project so that one or two people wouldn't have to do everything but that's not the way it is.
Charles, I like your idea of combining multiple disciplines in the same match and I think there are enough long range shooters nearby who may be interested to make that work if the logistics could work out.
I think Bart's ideas on communication is an area we could certainly improve on too. Your are certainly correct about it taking some organization, time, and effort to do.
Thanks for the input guys.

Come on guys, this is Dave Condor's thread . . .

I don't think there is much any of the participating clubs can do to increase regular NBRSA or IBS shooter attendance. We're just seem to be in one of those times when people are staying close to home, not traveling as much.

The clubs that host matches can, though, increase participation somewhat if they want to, in order to justify the "range time" matches take. It is, I guess, up to the individual clubs to decide just what steps to take, keep going as is, add non-sanctioned competition in parallel with the sanctioned competition, or stop having sanctioned matches.

I suppose there are people who don't like 300 yards, maybe for the same reason that some big-time skeet shooters who won't compete when it's too windy.

But I've always enjoyed Charlotte and the 300 yard format & sure hope it continues. . . . And, I'd like to see how long range BR rifles compete against short range BR rifles at a distance a bit out of either of their "specialties." 300 yards sounds just about right.

Now Charles,i love to shoot skeet in the wind,hold low and shoot high.

Back