300 win mag...brass choice for 1k( reamer to match ?)

M

mike in co

what are you guys shooting ?
is american made acceptable ?
brass life( or is that a joke ?)

will win/fed ??? work ?

what did you use for a reamer ??

thanks
mike in co

Mike,

I used to use nothing but Federal brass, but Sept. 11, 2001, that has dried up. I have tried Norma, Winchester, RWS, Lapua and Remington. I found out that the Nosler brass was made by Norma, which is to soft. Winchester is not consistent enough for match use and Lapua didn't impress me either. I cherish my RWS brass, as it is very long lasting, as I have yet to wear out any of it. The next time I buy brass, I will try Hornady. I have a few pieces that I am going to experiment with soon.

In short, if you can get some Fereral or RWS, then go with it.

As for a reamer, get Dave Kiff to make one to your specs. Mine has chambered about 25 barrels and needed resharpening once.

Danny

300 win mag brass

Many years ago I bought a Mcmillan built M40A1 in 300 Win Mag...Gale was still alive, and built it. I now have barrel #4 on the rifle. When I bought the rifle Gale told me to use Winchester brass, Federal 215 primers, Sierra 190MK, and IMR4350. I do all the standard brass prep work: size, primer pockets, flash holes, turn case necks, then only neck size after first firing. I get 3-4 firings out of them before I discard them.

The reason I discard cases is that the primers get too easy to seat, so I suspect they are too loose to be safe. On occasion I test old cases and can feel primers seat with enough pressure after 4 firings, but I still won't use them for a fifth time because brass is cheaper than buying a new rifle. It would be silly to risk blowing a primer just to get a 5th firing out of old brass.

WELL inspite of one negative comment, i bought 100 pcs of norma brass. and it was about the only i could find in stock!
so the next question:
what reamers have you been using ?
min spec with a tight neck ?

or

do i tell dave kiff what brass i am using and let him pick a design ?

thanks
mike in co

Mike i use a reamer made at home , I find the trick to brass life is to get a reamer without the belt ,then cut the belt with a boring bar..Unlike the conventional cases the chamber does support the belt which is a lot closer to where the the pocket problem lies.. The average reamer cuts the belt area at .532 to .533 at the average .220 depth .. Most new brass measures at .526 to .529,i cut the belt area on mine to .5295 and then use my primer pocket reclaim tool to resize the brass every firing,( current parent brass goes .528 to .5285).. I also cut the belt to approx .008 longer than the brass i'm using so i can get my bump die to actually come down and resize the second belt that is created by the pressures i run .. The only other trick i have is my case has a longer (by .070) neck so i get to use a chamber die first the set the shoulder back from the parent case shape ..The resize shortens the case , so the reamer is set to .2.590..In doing this i can get a tight cam on close feel to the brass as it is wedged between case head and the new formed shoulder and this i believe is why my cases stay wall concentric after fire form .. I have 50 Lapua 300 Win Mag cases that have had 22 reloads and still usuable , i have just fireformed 50 new ones for this season ,i have got 44 of those that i would use at the Nationals in just one fireform .. My methods may be time consuming but it gives me brass that is round and it lasts..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps.. neck is .334
WELL inspite of one negative comment, i bought 100 pcs of norma brass. and it was about the only i could find in stock!
so the next question:
what reamers have you been using ?
min spec with a tight neck ?

or

do i tell dave kiff what brass i am using and let him pick a design ?

thanks
mike in co

Short Gun

Mike ,
I decided against the 300 win mag , and am doing a 30-338 win mag . I'll be shooting 210 Bergers .
Of course it will be a Pistol ...A Striker actually , 20" barrel 10 twist.
I'd be glad to let ya shoot it ,when its done...LOL
Thanks

300 win brass..

I have used Winchester, Federal, Hornaday, Laupa, and others.

Built a custom rifle for a customer last fall. The chamber was cust with PT&G 300 Win Mag Match reamer. I bought a box of new Nosler 300 Win Mag brass.

The necks were so out of consentricty/thickness that it was visable to the naked. The Brass was bought from MidwayUSA. I sent an e-mail to both Nosler and MidwayUSA.

Nosler admitted they had a problem and "said they were working on it". They made no attempt replace the inferior product.

MidwayUSA claimes to guarentee customer satisfaction. I say BS to that. They said to contact Nosler they only sell their product.

I will not buy Brass from Nosler and or MidwayUSA ever again. It makes me wonder about the quality of other Nosler products.

Rustystud

rusty,
what can you tell me about the reamer ?
i looked at thier site and did not see any match in 300 win mag, no i have not called yet...still lining up the ducks...

thanks
mike in co

300 mag

Kiff makes a reamer for 300 win ( I have used it and am happy) that is a match configuration and is also used by the FBI and various SWAT org...it is a .340 NK with .135 FB....and works great with the 168-175-180-190 class of bullets...they are all seated above the donut area....I forget the dim. at the .200 line but it is just rite...the fired brass all stay around .508/.509 and primer pokets last ....We have used Win and Lapua brass and are at 15 reloads with both using Redding type S full length die. ..Roger

Kiff makes a reamer for 300 win ( I have used it and am happy) that is a match configuration and is also used by the FBI and various SWAT org...it is a .340 NK with .135 FB....and works great with the 168-175-180-190 class of bullets...they are all seated above the donut area....I forget the dim. at the .200 line but it is just rite...the fired brass all stay around .508/.509 and primer pokets last ....We have used Win and Lapua brass and are at 15 reloads with both using Redding type S full length die. ..Roger

thanks......was wondering about shooting 190's, and 210's in the wind.....need more free bore ?

thanks
mike

300 Win Match Reamer

The throat is short so those who shoot Winchesters can feed them.

For about $69. Kiff will make you a Piloted 1.5 degree throating reamer. with a throating reamer you can easily open up the throat for 190s through 240s.

Rustystud

longer for longer bullets...

Hi Mike...yes if your gonna shoot the big un's you need more elbo room...most 30 cal mags with a useable neck length of aprox..230" will need aprox....200 FB to keep the huge bearing surface of the 210 SMK's and VLD's away from the donut area.....hope this helps...Roger

Dave kiff can fix you right up..

If you seen a sized, unprimed and unloaded case with the bullet seated to the depth you desire and tell him how much free bore your want +/- the seating depth you have sent him. He will make your reamer accordingly.
Rustystud

ok guys, i called dave and got the reamer print.
my question is why aren't you using br type chambering specs.
here is what i see. my neck dia prior to a cleanup cut is 336...if i clean to 335/334.....all the sudden 340 seems pretty big.
what not a 337//335 neck and cut a 1 to 1.5 clearance on the brass( more than just a clean up)

the new kid wants to know.....

thanks
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone ???
if its good for short range, why not for long range ??

mike in co

Mike In Co

Mike
I think you'll find most guys are using 0.334 or 0.336 necks on the Win Mag.The 0.340 is for a no turn neck as is the 0.338 you hear about from time to time.That is why The Expiper said law enforcement was using it as I doubt they turn necks.A while back 0.330 and 0.332 were common as guys used to turn the brass thinner.
Give Kathleen a call at Pacific Precision and tell her you want a tight neck reamer for a 300 win mag using Norma brass.She will give you the common neck sizes right over the phone.Thee are alot of ladies up there so make sure you ask for her.
Lynn

Mike
I think you'll find most guys are using 0.334 or 0.336 necks on the Win Mag.The 0.340 is for a no turn neck as is the 0.338 you hear about from time to time.That is why The Expiper said law enforcement was using it as I doubt they turn necks.A while back 0.330 and 0.332 were common as guys used to turn the brass thinner.
Give Kathleen a call at Pacific Precision and tell her you want a tight neck reamer for a 300 win mag using Norma brass.She will give you the common neck sizes right over the phone.Thee are alot of ladies up there so make sure you ask for her.
Lynn
thanks......
pacific tool and gauge....dave kiff territory or is pacific precision a diff company ?

mike in co

thanks......
pacific tool and gauge....dave kiff territory or is pacific precision a diff company ?

mike in co

Pacific Precision, Pacific Precision Grinding, Pacific Tool and Gauge, PPG, PTG, Kiff, Dave K, etc

All same place/guy :)

al

Mike In Co

Mike
Its the same place.
I would turn one case for whatever amount of clean-up YOU want and seat the bullet you want to shoot.Then figure out what amount of clearance your comfortable with and get a reamer to fit.
If you go to the homepage and look at the various gunsmiths and barrel makers they will list the chamber reamers necks on there web pages.
Lynn

Back