300 ultra mag

M

max.burgess

I got a 300 ultra mag. Its a 700 Remington varmint model. Does any one know what works best for 1000 yard shooting? Thanks Max

I would try any of the 190 to 210 grain long range style bullets, I have a couple friends that have alot of fun with that exact rifle. Ron Tilley

Thanks Ron
Will a factory barrel stabilize a 210 gr bullet ? I tried some Retumbo powder and wasn't getting very good results. Thanks Max

Max, I do not know, its according to your twist rate, you can check that with a cleaning rod and a patch, it will tell you pretty close what it is, just mark it and measure the length that it takes to make a full turn in your barrel, that will tell you. You should check your velocity as well if you can.

I have seen good rresults with RE25.

Last edited:
In the loading manuals it seams the best accuracy is 2 or 3 gr below max is that what you have found ?
Thanks Max

I shot one for a couple of years in the 1K stock class, 190 SMK's and Retumbo, just under 3300.

I'd start with the 190's and go up from there, with Retumbo as the go juice.

Only the gun can tell you where to stop.

Loving caress is not in the recoil description......

I wouldnt mind building one with a whopping big muzzle brake for a bit of a try in light gun. If I see a suitable barrel going cheap, I might screw one into my current gun for a try. Not thinking I will break records with it, but just for fun.

I doubt Ill ever compete with it. I would like to get it shooting good. Thanks Max

Back