300 Norma Magnum loads

B

bjld

Hi all

I can't fine any load data for the 300 (not 308) Norma Magnum.

Not on the Norma website and not in my Sierra, Hornady or ADI manuals.

I emailed Hodgdon and they didn't have any either.

I'd like to use H4831SC or H1000 for 210 to 240 grain projectiles - anyone got any suggestions?

TIA
Ben

Google 300 Norma and open up the links and read. Read a few about loads. Matt

Hi Matt

I didn't know what Google was so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

I had no idea you could use this Google thing to search the internet for safe loads for slow burning powders in very large cases from trustworthy strangers who are retired Marine NCOs. ;-)

No offense intended, but after checking the Norma website and a few others and emailing Hodgdon I did search the internet a little more extensively.

Of all the internet forums Benchrest Central is my first choice for 1000 yard benchrest loads.

300 Norma Magnum brass has been available for a couple of years - odd that Norma doesn't have any load data on their website.

I'll email Norma and see what I can get, if anything, but it'll only be with their powders.

Otherwise Quickload will be my only option, I guess.

Ben

There's no data from Walt so hopefully I can get some starting loads using MRP or 217 from Norma.

Otherwise it's Quickload or all the retired Marine snipers that Google turns up... ;-)

May I suggest starting with 86grs. of Retumbo & do a ladder test. I'm sure that you will find a load that delivers excellent accuracy.

Thanks for that wc872. Is Retumbo ADI's AR2225? I've got 0.5 kg of it.

I got the following reply from Norma:

"240grn SMK 89grns MRP 2

I would go onto the website www.snipershide.com and look up some loads (beyond 1000yards topic) . I cannot give them out as I have not tried them and have no pressure data but they will give you an indication

Dr Don Heath D.Sc.
Manager Technical Support
Norma Precision AB
S 670 40
Åmotfors
Sweden"

The cartridge has been made for a couple of years but there's still virtually no published load data??

What little there is on snipershide.com doesn't really inspire me with confidence.

I'm amazed that Norma's best advice is to look there.

Still, credit to Norma for replying to my enquiry.

I'm not sure if I can get MRP-2 in Australia, maybe a special order.

I bought some of their brass last year and only got 49 cases in a bag.

When I emailed them about it they mailed me 5 cases to make up for it.

Ben

Thanks Rooshooter and thanks ADI for good slow burners.

I'm getting a Big Dawg stock from D&B Supply and Phil Jones in Oz is opening up a Rem 700 LA bolt face for the 300 Norma magnum.

The barrel is a 1.45x34" Krieger from SARA (of course) - it probably won't need to be that long, but you can shorten barrels, not make them longer.

I've never been so short of safe starting loads for a cartridge in the past, but given:

215 gr Berger, 230 gr Berger, or 240 gr SMK (prefer the Bergers, but you gotta give the barrel a go), and

Retumbo (AR2225) or H1000 (AR2217), and

Federal magnum primers (they're slooow powders in a BIG case ie over 100 gr H2O),

does anyone have any guaranteed starting recommendations?

With such slow powders I can't load too low - is it as simple as filling the case up to the bottom of the neck with Retumbo?

Can't be...

TIA
Ben

Sierra 220grain 30 Cal with 89grains Retumbo makes 3050 fps and 1/6 moa groups at 200 yds. No signs of overpressure. Use federal premium may rifle primers.

The Smith that made the rifle said you can pack in the powder over 100 grains with no issue. Of course I am shooting out of a big bull bbl

I have also had really good results with Alliant's RL50. To be on the safe side start around 86 grs. & work up. I have excellent accuracy with both the 208 AMAX & 230gr. Bergers.

The best load that I have shot so far is 85gr h1000 with 215m primers and berger 230 hybrid OTM @3012 fps.In my rifle 10 shots in the single digit at 1000 yrds.

The best load that I have shot so far is 85gr h1000 with 215m primers and berger 230 hybrid OTM @3012 fps.In my rifle 10 shots in the single digit at 1000 yrds.

Any updates on this cartridge and load data?

300 Norma mag brass

Hello there anyone know where to buy 300 Norma brass in Australia ?

Also has anyone in Australia had a 300 Norma action rifle built by whom and pics would be nice

Cheers

lapua

Back