30 cal BBL life

Tod Soeby

I am thinking about trying Moly (NECO system) in my 300 wby. Here is the problem......I have 500 rounds down the tube and it copper fouls very badly. Very tough to get clean. I am worried that I am hurting the tube because I need to clean so much and very agressivly. I have a lot of experiance with Moly and think I can get rid of some of the fouling trouble. Now....the stickler...In the 1K match at Harris this weekend (very windy) in light gun...match one... 6 inch (high score and small group) & 5 inch in shoot off. ...Win..... 7 inch in match 2, and in the shootoff 4 into about 3 inches and 1 out (my bad!!!) ...lost.... Heavy gun I missed a condition change in both matches...six to seven shots in 5 inches with a couple out of the group in their own little group. I just need to pay atention to the condition changes. Most of the other shooters had the same thing happen to one degree or another. I also did very well in my first match last month with a couple of wins and also in a F class match last week. So the gun shoots better than I can drive it!!!!

Now, to try somthing new like this will take another 100 to 150 rounds down the tube by the time I find the right powder charge and tinker with both neck tension and seating depth. So my question to you "seasoned" 30 cal magnum guys is...HOW MUCH COMPETITIVE LIFE IS THERE IN A 30 CAL MAGNUM? My current load is very, very mild at 2880 fps/210VLD & 74 gr RL25. Part of me says (screams is more like it) LEAVE IT ALONE, STUPID!!!! Then there is the cumpulsive tinkerer in me that wants to play with it.

WHAT SAY YOU!!

PS....I DO NOT want to start another debate on Moly....it has been done to death!!!

keep shootin it

The bbl life depends on what type of bbl it is...button bbl...prolly 1500 ..cut rifled add at least another 500 rds...
If it is shootin 5 in ...I would keep on doing what is working and clean.clean.clean........JMHO....Roger
PS...I use Danzac...

My 375 Cheytac fouls with copper more than anything I've ever owned.It shoots a 350 gr lathe turned solid copper alloy bullet at 3150 fps with 150 grs of powder.Use TM for carbon to start with and Boreteck for copper.Soak for an hour at a time and only put four patches through at a time between soakings.Let the solvents do most of the work not your elbow.

Competitive Life

Hi tod , Very hard to give an exact answer, I have had three barrels on my heavy gun, nearly the same load in each one ..It is at a much higher pressured load than your running and at a lot higher speed because of the lighter bullet. 1st barrel was all out at 1400 rounds(TOBLER), 2nd barrel went 2200 and was still shooting when i puled it to get ready for the new season(Broughton),the new Krieger has only 350 rds..I know by talkin to Bill S in your country that 79gn/210b combo can go 3000 competitive rounds as he reported(a HART i think)..I kleen often and make sure i start a target off with the barrel in the same state each time ..At with a bullet that has a .650 long bearing surface in a 32 inch barrel i found moly to be a variable i did not need ....JR..Jeff Rogers. PS one of our local guys has 3000 rds through a TOBLER and still wins matchs so go figure.. (200Smk at 3100)
I am thinking about trying Moly (NECO system) in my 300 wby. Here is the problem......I have 500 rounds down the tube and it copper fouls very badly. Very tough to get clean. I am worried that I am hurting the tube because I need to clean so much and very agressivly. I have a lot of experiance with Moly and think I can get rid of some of the fouling trouble. Now....the stickler...In the 1K match at Harris this weekend (very windy) in light gun...match one... 6 inch (high score and small group) & 5 inch in shoot off. ...Win..... 7 inch in match 2, and in the shootoff 4 into about 3 inches and 1 out (my bad!!!) ...lost.... Heavy gun I missed a condition change in both matches...six to seven shots in 5 inches with a couple out of the group in their own little group. I just need to pay atention to the condition changes. Most of the other shooters had the same thing happen to one degree or another. I also did very well in my first match last month with a couple of wins and also in a F class match last week. So the gun shoots better than I can drive it!!!!

Now, to try somthing new like this will take another 100 to 150 rounds down the tube by the time I find the right powder charge and tinker with both neck tension and seating depth. So my question to you "seasoned" 30 cal magnum guys is...HOW MUCH COMPETITIVE LIFE IS THERE IN A 30 CAL MAGNUM? My current load is very, very mild at 2880 fps/210VLD & 74 gr RL25. Part of me says (screams is more like it) LEAVE IT ALONE, STUPID!!!! Then there is the cumpulsive tinkerer in me that wants to play with it.

WHAT SAY YOU!!

PS....I DO NOT want to start another debate on Moly....it has been done to death!!!

Last edited:
Back