30 BR barrel length

I am chambering a Bartlein 17 twist barrel for 30 BR with a 332 neck to go on a Farley action and am planning to put a few different design tuners on it and am wondering what barrel length you guys would go with. I am planning on a 22 inch length but can go longer. What would you do???

Last edited:
Most of mine are - -

21.5" I think. That length seems to work well. I think you will need to cut a lot of the cylinder portion off to save the weight you need if you haven't saved it elsewhers. I like rifles that are a few ounces light so that there is room to change scopes around or have provisions for things like tuners if one decides to do them. When one looks at how accurate HBR rifles are @ 10 Lbs, why not give yourself a bit of slack? I have tried longer barrels in the past thinking I could set them back but when they are shot out, they are shot out so the extra length didn't do much I don't believe.

Last edited:
30Br barrel length

When did the 30 Br become a hunter br case?
I thought it was varmint for score and the weight was 13.5 lbs.

In NBRSA it didn't. For that matter it didn't in IBS either. My assumption based from the statement he was going to use a Farley action was it was a VFS rifle. It, the .30BR, could be shot in IBS as a Varmint Hunter rifle but not without some whittling on the Farley. Maybe he's going to shoot groups with it.

Mike Swartz

Vfs - -

When did the 30 Br become a hunter br case?
I thought it was varmint for score and the weight was 13.5 lbs.

Has two options, LVFS and HVFS. LV is shot for records only and some clubs give awards for LV as well as HV. There have been attempts to have two seperate VFS classes but it hasn't come to pass as yet. Some would like it to be limited to 6 MM or smaller.

I am chambering a Bartlein 17 twist barrel for 30 BR with a 332 neck to go on a Farley action and am planning to put a few different design tuners on it and am wondering what barrel length you guys would go with. I am planning on a 22 inch length but can go longer. What would you do???

Assuming you're building a 13.5 lb. HV gun, my suggestion would be to look at barrel length/profile in the context of rifle balance. Currently, there seems to be two schools of thought when it comes to building these 13.5 lb 30BR's:
One approach is to use a HV profile barrel of 23-24" length and a HV weighted stock. The other approach uses a LV profile barrel of 21-22" length and either a HV weight stock or a LV weight stock. With a LV stock, weight is addded (not always in the butt) to balance the gun.

Optics weight is also a big factor in the balance issue. A 2 lb. scope mounted really high...a 17-22 oz. scope mounted low...a 17-22 oz. scope mounted high....etc.

I'd be happy with a 22" barrel in any scenario.

A well balanced 12 lb. 30BR is a pussy cat :) A nose heavy 13.5 lb. sucks. :(

Aside from the weight issue, I'll assume that you're thinking about velocity - here's the deal - each inch of barrel is worth maybe 12 FPS - maybe that much. When I compared my original 24" HV (30BR) barrel to my first LV (30BR) chambered barrel, which was crowned at 21.5", the difference, using the same bullets, powder nad primers, at the same range session, was 24 FPS. I wouldn't consider it unusual to measure that much difference between two barrels of equal length. So, if velocity is the question, go with balance! For a LV rig, acquire a NBRSA HUNTER taper barrel, but with a full 1.250" diameter cylinder , which is 5" long, as opposed to the 4" shank common to the HBR barrels. This makes for a nice stiff barrel and keeps the weight better centered . . . and, when it comes to chopping off (either end) , such a blank provides many options. Sans a tuner, I like to use all of the cylinder and chop the muzzle-end to whatever the weight limit calls for. Also, Most LV contour barrels and many of the HBR contours feature a 1.200" diameter shank, which saves a little more weight.

I am about to test some tuners (Spears/Davidson type, as offered by ShadeTree Eng.), so, eventually, may have to alter my tune regarding contours . . . or, not. :eek::D RG

I am going to shoot local score matches with it, but it should make weight to shoot LV if I ever make it to a group match.

Looks like I was typing my earlier response while you were typing about making it a LV gun that can serve Double Duty in Group tournaments. :)

Can't add much to what RG just posted. Except that my LV 30BR is set up exactly as he described: an HBR profle barrel and a total gun weight of 10 lbs. 4 oz. 'all up'. The 4 oz. leeway is so I can tinker with a Beggs tuner.

Just one approach. -Al

Back