30 Aardvark Load Data?

Go to the home page here and click on the IBS link. On the IBS link click on match results. Look at the results of a few Score events looking for the equipment list. Look for someone shooting an Aardvrk and see what they have used. Look at what they have used. Look at several Match Report.

The traditional load was 35.5 grains of N130 (reloader 12 should work too) with a 125 grain bullet. I have 2 guns with this chamber and they both respond well to that combination but .925 and 1" jacket bullets work too. I am using a 14 twist and 17 twist barrel. One gun is a Hunter 10 pound gun and the other is a HV gun. I was shocked when I started shooting it as I felt the 30BR had much more recoil. :cool:

I have a lot of load data for the standard 30-30 case if you are interested. I realize that you have greater capacity, but my loads are considered "hot" by most standards. My N130 load is 38 gr. with the 118 gr. bullet for 3080 fps. I have loads with this same bullet producing velocities in the 3250 fps. range, but not with this powder. Another good load is a casefull of N133. If you are interested, just work up these loads with caution. I have never destroyed a 30-30 case with any of my loads, but all components must be the same.

Michael

Michael....did you ever test a 19 or 20 twist barrel in your 30-30..??

Eddie Williams in Texas

Eddie,
My Hart barrel is a 18.7" twist from late 1999. It is the first 18" twist made by Hart. After bugging them for a year, they finally made the button for me and sent me two barrels, saying the twist came out a tad slower than expected. The barrels were marked .3078" and 18.7 twist. I shot this barrel with 125 gr. Bergers (1" jacket) at New Braunfals. Most people would say that the .925" jacket would have been the better way to go, but it was this combination that shot so well back at the TX State match in 2000, with the first 3 groups of .150", .123", and a .190", that shook a lot of PPC shooters up so much.

I do have two 20" twist barrels that were made up by Douglas. I have never used either of these barrels in competition simply because they are not benchrest barrels. I bought them to test the idea of the 20" twist. I have shot .925" and 1" jackets out of them, and even though the stability factor for the 1" jacket is way lacking, the first group measured .170". I can say that the groove dimensions are the loosest of any 30-30 barrel I own, and I have some 7 ogive BIB's to try since they are the fattest bullet I have. You just never know, one day the Douglas barrel might make it to a real BR match. I do have plans to purchase a 20" barrel from either Krieger or Bartlein, or maybe even a 21" to 22" twist if I start playing with .850" to .875" jackets.

Michael

Where can I get some aardvark federal american brass? thanks Bob

Occasionally some of the American comes up for sale. I shot a similar chambering for a few years, a 30 HC and used both American and regular Winchester 30-30 cases. I never could see any difference in the accuracy between the two type cases.

If you have watched the Utube of Jack Neary's recent tuning series, what he has to say about brass fit is the essence of what makes brass either work or not work. He said he didn't weigh, etc, etc. Now, he's talking about Lapua but how much difference can there be? There have been a number of discussionson on large primer vs small primer on here and one of late, as I recall. I would recommend that you read that one or others if you can find them.

Last edited:
Back