.284 WINCHESTER - muzzle velocity

S

supersonic

Please, let me know,from your experience,what is about normal and maximum muzzle velocity for this catridge without the case showing overpressure signs. Barrel length would be 26inches. Bullet weight 180gr.
Please ,mention powder used.Thanks in advance for your info.
Petr

Loads in a .284Win with a 26 inch barrel are going to be in the 2600-2700fps with 180 grain bullets.

I shoot a .284 Win with a 26" barrel with 140 grain bullets with 46-47 grains of H-4831SC and 42.5 grains of Re-17 getting between 2990 and 3025 fps. Heavier loads show signs of pressure.

If you want 3000 fps with 180s you will need a 30-32" barrel.
Nat Lambeth

I cannot safely hit 3000 with the 180s using a 7WSM and a 26" barrel. To get 3000, I have to load 70.5 grains of Ramshot magnum. In this rifle (Savage custom shop) this is warm and not the best accuracy. I can't get better velocities with any other powder I have tried with this bullet. Maybe Mag pro would get you there but I think this is a mythical powder as I have never been able to buy any of it! I think 2800 fps out of a 284 would be close to top. Some claim R17 will get you there but I am not finding it to be the best powder with the 180s.

I have Mag Pro, I had RL-17. I don't believe in "magic" powders :) in fact the last magic powder I got suckered into was the RL-17. I was convinced by well known shooters that it gave more velocity so I bought a 5 pounder. I found it to be H4350 equivalent, no more, no less. I'm in the process of simplifying my powder supply, using up all the small lots..... just loaded up the last of the RL-17. It's great powder, just not better than H4350. I'm going with Hogdons all the way for two reasons, it's easy to get and I weigh my charges so metering isn't as important.

Now if I could just use up that Mag Pro!

opinionsby

al

Al- if you can't get more velocity out of R17 than H4350 you must be using it in a rare case that it doesn't fit with. I know I get 150 fps MORE velocity with R17 over H4350 in my 6.5-284 and roughly 100 fps more in a 260 Rem. If you were complaining about the accuracy or SD- I couldn't argue with you but straight up velocity, it is way better than 4350 in the two chamberings I have tried it in!

Al- if you can't get more velocity out of R17 than H4350 you must be using it in a rare case that it doesn't fit with. I know I get 150 fps MORE velocity with R17 over H4350 in my 6.5-284 and roughly 100 fps more in a 260 Rem. If you were complaining about the accuracy or SD- I couldn't argue with you but straight up velocity, it is way better than 4350 in the two chamberings I have tried it in!

so put more 4350 in the case

Dennis,

I haven't found this to be true of any powder. On a given day velocity generally equals pressure using similar powders.

And visey varsey

al

Al, I have heard the pressure and velocity statement before. So, when working up a loads for my 6 AI, I watched velocity as much as watching for pressure signs. When you develop loads for improved cartridges, do you pay more attention to velocity than you would if it were a standard cartridge? I've heard you can have high pressures with improved cartridges before you get a hard bolt lift.

Dick

I was simply implying that I have reached the threshold of what is good reloading practice with this powder. Getting higher velocities with some powders is a very real phenomenon. R17 has been somewhat of a breath of fresh air in the cases I have tried it in. Magic or not, the stuff works.

I've got three 284 Win bbls. - one 28" & two 30". Have found that max velocity with 175/180s & 'conventional' powders in the 30" bbls. is a bit over 2800fps, 2900fps with RL17. Push any harder, and the primer pockets of my WW cases get loose. The 28" & one of the 30s are fitted to a long M700 w/PTG bolt; the other 30" is on a BAT 3LL. In my bbls, accuracy seems more consistent with H4831 & N165 than with RL17. Not saying RL17's no good - it's just that H4831 works ALL the time, no matter the ambient temps.

OTOH, RL17 is the powder of choice in my 6.5x47s with 130-142gr. bullets. I get 100fps more velocity with it than with N160, and accuracy's been excellent out of 30" Bartlein & 28" Krieger on BAT 3L LR prone & Eliseo RTS XC rifles.

Back