275 scoring in 50/50

Tony,
This is starting to sound a lot less like a quest for opinion and a lot more about a rationalization that you and Bill ave decided long ago.
Exactly what "gaming" is supposed to be going on because for the life of me, I'd love to be able to learn how to "game" more 250's with moderate X counts.
It strikes some as a rationalization to somehow correct a percieved injustice.....just don't see it.
Unfortunately what I do see is a lot of crowing on another site about how "we" are gonna change rimfire.
I don't mean to throw stones here but that sounds a little disingenuous.

Tim,

If you don't know by now the difference between shooting for 250's rather than X s, I can't teach you.

The spread of the 10 ring is only an injustice if you perceive it to be.

The reason I joined this thread is to learn from as many opinions as possible. I'm not sure what your reasons were.

I don't control what is said on any site, however, I do believe everyone has the right to an opinion.

I don't have an agenda other than to try to get more shooters to the matches.

If the rules change or not. I'll be there. I'm going to continue shooting IR 50/50 as long as I can.

If you ever decide to come out of hiding I'll be there for you to shoot against. I think I still owe you one.

TKH

Tim,

If you don't know by now the difference between shooting for 250's rather than X s, I can't teach you.

The spread of the 10 ring is only an injustice if you perceive it to be.

The reason I joined this thread is to learn from as many opinions as possible. I'm not sure what your reasons were.

I don't control what is said on any site, however, I do believe everyone has the right to an opinion.

I don't have an agenda other than to try to get more shooters to the matches.

If the rules change or not. I'll be there. I'm going to continue shooting IR 50/50 as long as I can.

If you ever decide to come out of hiding I'll be there for you to shoot against. I think I still owe you one.

TKH

Yes, I'm aware of 10' vs X's, what I'm apparantly unaware of is the "gaming" issue you have mentioned more than once. Would you kindly speak to that for this poor dumb guy ?

Bruce

GAMING- to manipulate to one's advantage, especially by trickery; attempt to take advantage of:

Tony, I've mostly stayed out of this discussion about this supposed "true accuracy" idea but I have to weigh in.

IR5050 is a game of consistency. That is what is has always been. I don't know of any "gaming" going on. You're suggesting that shooters have won and haven't deserved it is disingenuous and doesn't advance anything. To suggest that they've done it through trickery is beneath you.

The idea that you and the WLM keep pounding on is only viable and worth considering if shooters are actually awarded each point BY INCREMENTS from the target center, like Olympics scoring (9.1, 9.2, 9.3, etc). For a variety of reasons that will never happen. Your idea of "true accuracy" is that a line-licker X is just as "true" as a pinwheel and that's flawed logic.

Instituting a scoring system that "games" the results so a lowly 250 10X doesn't beat your 249 22X won't bring in any new shooters. Crusades designed to advance a personal agenda rarely achieve a greater good.

I think you have it exactly backwards, Tony feels that a line licker 10 is not as good as a pinwheel, but a target full of line licker 10's isn't as good a target as 24 pinwheels and one line licker miss, I don't either,it is a fact that you can miss shooting an entire square in ARA and still win the target with a 2400 but if you miss one in IR at the nationals you don't have a chance to win the target.Now sometimes that is the shooters fault(most times I would suggest) but sometimes it just isn't.I am one who doesn't think the scoring is the problem in IR, it is the amount of money you have to spend to be competitive, from having to use two piece rest to spotting scope to having two rifles, 2 diff ammos,ect, until some of this is addressed then it will continue to diminish. Anyone can buy one rifle and one rest go to an ARA or PSL match and compete with 20 to 100 competitive shooters and have a sense of accomplishment when you win, it seems that is the case in IR UL, but 3 gun is dying and will continue to do so until what I pointed out can be addressed.I think IR is destined to be sporter as a stand alone and UL as a stand alone sport. I do believe that you would get more sporter shooters if you allow higher scope power because us old folks just cant see through those 6 power scopes anymore.
Respectfully,
Mike C.

GAMING- to manipulate to one's advantage, especially by trickery; attempt to take advantage of:

Tony, I've mostly stayed out of this discussion about this supposed "true accuracy" idea but I have to weigh in.

IR5050 is a game of consistency . That is what is has always been. I don't know of any "gaming" going on. You're suggesting that shooters have won and haven't deserved it is disingenuous and doesn't advance anything. To suggest that they've done it through trickery is beneath you.

The idea that you and the WLM keep pounding on is only viable and worth considering if shooters are actually awarded each point BY INCREMENTS from the target center, like Olympics scoring (9.1, 9.2, 9.3, etc). For a variety of reasons that will never happen. Your idea of "true accuracy" is that a line-licker X is just as "true" as a pinwheel and that's flawed logic.

Instituting a scoring system that "games" the results so a lowly 250 10X doesn't beat your 249 22X won't bring in any new shooters. Crusades designed to advance a personal agenda rarely achieve a greater good.

Bruce,

Glad you joined the discussion.

First, I'm not pushing true accuracy scoring, unless it will get more shooters to the matches. I do feel people need to understand the concept to have an inform opinion.

Your reaction to it being discussed is problematic, it shows fear that others may not agree with the status quo.

As I said to Tim if you don't know the difference between shooting for 250's rather than Xs, I'll never be able to teach you.

You say the game has always been about consistency. Perhaps I've been wrong all these years, I thought it was about accuracy. Do we agree consistency and accuracy are not the same?

Shooting sports of all kinds are based on hitting the center of a target, it is generally understood that the shooter that places the aggregate of his shots closest to the center wins. However, that is not always the case in IR 50/50. Like it or not, that is a fact.

I'm not convinced true accuracy scoring will help IR 50/50, but I'm still open minded about it, and any other thing that may have promise.

I will keep shooting if any thing changes or not. I expect most of the hard core will. They aren't the shooters we need to cater to, it is the ones on the side lines we have to reach.

Making this personal is below you, so let us try to keep an open mind, share ideas with the objective of improving a sport we both love.

TKH

My only input to this,

One thing that would put the missed shot idea to mean a whole lot less, would be to make the target much harder, such that no one hardly ever shoots a 250. Cut the size of the rings in half, and then the field will be spread out a bunch more. Lots of 10's turn into nines etc. Then a good score may be 240 or 245 and the field is more evened out for a "lost shot" because most everyone has a few. The other thing I think that may help would be making the target red so it is easier to see and can then be computer scored easier. Computer scoring would make it much easier and faster to put on matches.

stiller

Yes, I'm aware of 10' vs X's, what I'm apparantly unaware of is the "gaming" issue you have mentioned more than once. Would you kindly speak to that for this poor dumb guy ?

Tim,

The question isn't if you are aware of 10s and Xs, the question is do you know the difference in how to shoot for 10s, at the possible expense of Xs.
My use of the term "gaming" is the process a shooter may use in an attempt to hit tens, while being willing to give up Xs.

It is that fine difference in hold off necessary to hit the inside of the 10 ring rather than going for the center of the target. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't, but it is gaming the target as you are no longer trying to hit the target center.

Apparently my term "gaming" set off alarm bells, but I don't know any other way to describe the process.

Perhaps I'm the only one to uses this process? If so, let us keep it that way.

TKH

ARA scoring

Tony:

The ARA target must be your complete nightmare then. It has nothing to do with accuracy (no X's) and only rewards consistency. All you have to do is keep the shots inside that 100 ring and never touch the center and you're golden. Even on that "non-accuracy" target you can shoot 0's and still win! A 2500 is possible with 0 X's.

Seems to be pretty popular...

Tony:

The ARA target must be your complete nightmare then. It has nothing to do with accuracy (no X's) and only rewards consistency. All you have to do is keep the shots inside that 100 ring and never touch the center and you're golden. Even on that "non-accuracy" target you can shoot 0's and still win! A 2500 is possible with 0 X's.

Seems to be pretty popular...

Bruce,

You can even shoot two 0's and win most targets. ARA has other redeeming qualities that make it so popular. But that is not the discussion is it?

TKH

Far too many posts I'd like to quote and respond to... I will put down general thoughts, both in response to posts in this thread as well as feedback from a "newbie".

I have a HUGE amount of respect for the work Landy does with measuring/analyzing targets and calculating the statistics from the results. I come from a semi-technical background and am inclined to go with science over "art" and "black magic" every time. His statements about 8s and 9s not being fliers per say, but rather just examples of shots that are within the standard deviation but outside of where we would like them to be, or more likely(and I tend to believe strongly) a missed condition change or sloppy bench manners, resulting in dropped points, rather than an actual bad round. As stated above I am a relative newbie compared to the experience of many. I have gone through a little under 2 cases of ammo since I started shooting benchrest in July 2015, including testing lots and all the matches I have shot. In that time I have had 1 round that went inches, with an S, as in many, from the expected point of impact. It would have been many standard deviations from the center of the composite group created by all the other rounds in that case of ammo. That is 1 round in the ~9000 rounds I've fired. I may go another 10 years or 50 cases of ammo before it happens again, or it may happen again tomorrow. When and if it does, I will B**** and moan for a few minutes, pull up my big boy pants and get on with life. No different than if I was at the dirt track or drag strip and had an electrode in a $5 spark plug fail and cost me the race, or any of a 100 other examples of 1 small piece of the puzzle being "off" costing me the win. Don't make excuses, get back on the horse, and keep at it.

I am passively opposed to changing the scoring in IR5050 to the 275 model as a method of increasing participation. I feel we don't have a unfair scoring system in place that is routinely rewarding an undeserving winner at the expense of the better shooter. I also feel that the thought of a 249 automatically putting you out of contention is a load of cow pies as well. I would encourage everyone to head over to the IR5050 site and really take a close look at the data. Unfortunately it is difficult to extract and put it into excel to further analyze, but is relatively easy to just view on the website. I took the time to gather a few facts from the 2017 season thus far. In the 10.5# class so far this year there have been 1138 targets shot in 156 3gun matches. Of those 1138 targets 144 of them were 250s, or about 12.65%. There were .923 250s per match, less than 1 per match if the distribution was even across all matches, which it isn't, not even close. I know a match I attended this year had 5 or 6 from just 8 or 9 shooters, and I doubt that is an anomaly but don't have exact data to back it up, other than poking around in the results and noticing trends. When the conditions are "good" there are plenty of shooters with adequate equipment and skills to take advantage at every match I have ever attended. I took a good look at the results from the club I run matches at and the results rarely changed when I computed score using the 275 model and comparing them to the current scoring model. I would encourage everyone to look at some of your club's results from this year and see what the change would be. Minimal changes at best, and doubtful that it would increase participation in my opinion.

I then looked at some sporter results. Much harder to do as the scoreline includes sporter match results as well as 3gun match results. If you look to the top of the list you will see Ed Hosier. I met Ed briefly at the nationals this year, but unfortunately didn't have much to say as I was star-struck to be in the presence of that good of a sporter shooter. In looking at Ed's sporter results this year he has shot 18 250s in 97 sporter targets. 18.5% of the time Ed shoots a 250 with his sporter, and many of them have big X counts too. Dominating performance to say the least! Another interesting stat is that 24.7% of the time Ed drops 4 or more points, leaving the door wide open for someone to shoot a 249, 248, or even a 247 to possibly take the win. Again, I would say- Don't make excuses, get back on the horse, and do it again, even when you drop a point. Not trying to single Ed out, but he has one of the larger sample sizes since he shoots lots of sporter targets.

As long as we are talking sporters and being a new guy- What is with the thought that sporters are expensive and hard to build? And along the same lines, that rimfire guns are somehow harder to build than centerfire rifles? I have built both of the guns I am currently shooting. They also happen to be the only 2 rimfire benchrest rifles I have built, or shot for that matter. The only other real bench gun I have shot is my uncle's 6ppc at prairie dogs. I put both guns together using readily available components available from the common suppliers. The places I ordered from didn't know me, as I was unheard of in the rimfire world(still am, for the record...) when I was ordering the parts. I am confident that I did not receive hand selected components or special treatment. I am also confident I got the next one on the pile as my orders were pulled. Did I happen to steal a golden horseshoe off a unicorn to end up with a competitive sporter on my first rimfire build? Is it just a myth that rimfires, and especially sporters are harder to build than any other rifle? From the little machine shop knowledge I have, threading and chambering barrels is equivalent to apprentice level machine shop work. Indicating the bore of round objects in a 4 jaw chuck is everyday practice. Is the oft repeated talk of being hard to build and expensive what keeps people away? Looking back at both my sporter and heavy gun builds I know the heavy gun was ~$1000 more expensive, largely because the stock and scope were both twice the cost of their sporter counterparts. Seems like a ton of money, until you talk to the guy you know who runs sprint cars and has a $25k engine that blows a couple times a season and needs a full rebuild, or the guy with the $8k drift boat carrying $5k in fly rods and reels. This is a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be expensive ;)

Talking sporters and heavy guns bring us to another topic. Having to own and shoot 2 guns to play IR5050 3gun. I hear plenty of gripes that you would have to have a second gun to compete and what a burden it is. Somehow that burden goes away when guys show up with 2-3-4 unlimited/Heavy guns with ammo matched to each gun for an ARA/PSL match, cause redundancy is always a good thing and it would be a shame if the barrel went south, or the humidity or temperature moved out of the primary guns preferred range and they shot poorly that match. I also hear about having to have 2 rest setups. Not true as you can shoot ARA/PSL off a 2 piece setup. The argument has been made before that the 1 piece rest isn't an advantage and doesn't help scores, so sell it and get a 2 piece setup and then you can shoot any class anywhere. Seems to me there is little merit, and lots of excuse making. Don't make excuses, show up and shoot, or tell us that a 1 piece rest is easier to shoot from and that's why you won't shoot IR5050. Can't have it both ways here...

The ammo chase- Finding ammo that shoots good in your gun can be a chore, and can be expensive. We all know this. It is part of the rimfire game, and isn't unique to IR5050. Is anyone complaining that ARA or PSL attendance is down because of the ammo chase? Is it easier to find ammo for an unlimited gun than a 10.5# or sporter? Are the a select few who are in tight with the distribution network who are getting the good ammo before the rest of us have a chance? For the past 2 years I have been shooting eley match that was made/imported the year prior to the season I shot it in. The first season I blind squirreled 2 different lots, a 2 machine @ 1056, and a 5 machine at 1068. I shot a couple matches, didn't finish anywhere near the top, and had fun doing it. I didn't know what I didn't know so I went back for more at the end of September and bought enough for my planned matches in 2016. If I remember correctly ammo was a little more scarce in 15 as everything coming in was getting bought up within days of arrival. I tried to buy test lots, but by the time it made it from Zanders to me 1/2 were already sold out. I started this spring with enough ammo left from last season to shoot the first match in April. I ended up ordering 7 test lots. Most shot decent, but I wouldn't know "killer" ammo if it was written on the box, and 1 showed more promise than the rest. Killough ran a sale in May so I jumped on a full case. I have been shooting it all season, in both the sporter and heavy gun. I have shot as good as 250-20x with both guns, and have also managed to also shoot some low 230s with both guns as well. Pure luck that I was able to find decent shooting ammo that worked in both guns and allowed me to be competitive some of the time? Is there better ammo that I missed out on that would have resulted in more Xs and no scores in the 230s? Is it an internet legend that you must test 40-75-120 lots of ammo to find anything remotely good? Is talk of having to test hundreds or thousands in ammo to find something that allows you to be competitive scaring people off?

15 years ago I would see cardboard backers with a grid of holes left behind on the range. Occasionally I would see a target in the trash and thought it looked kinda neat. Just out of college, still living at home, and earning a meager living didn't leave much room for benchrest. Fast forward to 2008 and an email comes from the club asking for volunteers to help pour concrete bench tops for the new 50yd range. I helped, met some of the guys, talked a little benchrest, and then shelved it for another 7 years until 2015. Now in a better position to dispose of income on recreation I checked the club calendar and showed up at a match, after already placing my order for a 2500XS action. I met a group of guys who were willing to answer questions and explain some of the ins and outs. I also witnessed Doug Bell shoot a world record target that day, which almost caused me to reconsider doing this if I was going to have to compete against that level, but his humble reaction and commenting that the next target he shot wouldn't be nearly as good convinced me to stay the course. Dean Bircher stayed after that match and spent a couple hours giving me more information than I could comprehend at the time. The willingness of those shooters to share what they knew with a young guy just starting out made a huge difference. I would still be messing around trying to figure out what end was up if they hadn't shaved YEARS off the learning curve for me by sharing what they knew. As stated by others, one of the biggest barriers to new participants is even knowing it exists. As ambassadors for our sport we need to get the word out about the game we play, and be as inviting as possible to anyone who shows even a shred of interest. Keep it fun, after all it is just a game. As a new shooter who started with no equipment I also didn't find the current rules difficult to follow, overbearing, or overly restrictive. I think some minor tweaks could be made that don't alter the game, but allow for more freedom and access to equipment.

Potential Take-Aways:

Encourage people to show up and shoot. Get the word out to anyone who will listen. Let the newbie shoot whatever they bring to get a feel for the game. It makes little sense to chase someone away who probably isn't going to be competitive in their first match anyways. If they are serious they will quickly upgrade and meet the rules, if not, at least you know you tried to get them involved. Offer to loan equipment if you have extra, or to try your equipment after a match.

Worry less about what the other guy is doing and making excuses about it, and more time worrying about hitting the next X on your own card.

Recognize those who do well. Share results with one another via the forums and social media. Clap and give atta-boys at matches.

If you have read this far you may be thinking that many of my comments are pretty arrogant, about how good my equipment is or lucky I am in finding ammo, or how easy machining is. That is not my intention in the least. I have been fortunate to win some target this year, even some matches, but I've finished 3rd, 4th, 7th, 17th, or worse more times than I have won, by a large margin. I made the comments to hopefully show that getting started as a newbie and becoming competitive is possible and accessible, and the situation isn't as dire as some people try to make it.

Overall- Thank you to Tony for starting the topic and getting the ball rolling. I find this type of open, back and forth dialogue to be a positive which will hopefully allow us to maintain and grow the sport.

Travis

PS- Show up and shoot!

Far too many posts I'd like to quote and respond to... I will put down general thoughts, both in response to posts in this thread as well as feedback from a "newbie".

I have a HUGE amount of respect for the work Landy does with measuring/analyzing targets and calculating the statistics from the results. I come from a semi-technical background and am inclined to go with science over "art" and "black magic" every time. His statements about 8s and 9s not being fliers per say, but rather just examples of shots that are within the standard deviation but outside of where we would like them to be, or more likely(and I tend to believe strongly) a missed condition change or sloppy bench manners, resulting in dropped points, rather than an actual bad round. As stated above I am a relative newbie compared to the experience of many. I have gone through a little under 2 cases of ammo since I started shooting benchrest in July 2015, including testing lots and all the matches I have shot. In that time I have had 1 round that went inches, with an S, as in many, from the expected point of impact. It would have been many standard deviations from the center of the composite group created by all the other rounds in that case of ammo. That is 1 round in the ~9000 rounds I've fired. I may go another 10 years or 50 cases of ammo before it happens again, or it may happen again tomorrow. When and if it does, I will B**** and moan for a few minutes, pull up my big boy pants and get on with life. No different than if I was at the dirt track or drag strip and had an electrode in a $5 spark plug fail and cost me the race, or any of a 100 other examples of 1 small piece of the puzzle being "off" costing me the win. Don't make excuses, get back on the horse, and keep at it.

I am passively opposed to changing the scoring in IR5050 to the 275 model as a method of increasing participation. I feel we don't have a unfair scoring system in place that is routinely rewarding an undeserving winner at the expense of the better shooter. I also feel that the thought of a 249 automatically putting you out of contention is a load of cow pies as well. I would encourage everyone to head over to the IR5050 site and really take a close look at the data. Unfortunately it is difficult to extract and put it into excel to further analyze, but is relatively easy to just view on the website. I took the time to gather a few facts from the 2017 season thus far. In the 10.5# class so far this year there have been 1138 targets shot in 156 3gun matches. Of those 1138 targets 144 of them were 250s, or about 12.65%. There were .923 250s per match, less than 1 per match if the distribution was even across all matches, which it isn't, not even close. I know a match I attended this year had 5 or 6 from just 8 or 9 shooters, and I doubt that is an anomaly but don't have exact data to back it up, other than poking around in the results and noticing trends. When the conditions are "good" there are plenty of shooters with adequate equipment and skills to take advantage at every match I have ever attended. I took a good look at the results from the club I run matches at and the results rarely changed when I computed score using the 275 model and comparing them to the current scoring model. I would encourage everyone to look at some of your club's results from this year and see what the change would be. Minimal changes at best, and doubtful that it would increase participation in my opinion.

I then looked at some sporter results. Much harder to do as the scoreline includes sporter match results as well as 3gun match results. If you look to the top of the list you will see Ed Hosier. I met Ed briefly at the nationals this year, but unfortunately didn't have much to say as I was star-struck to be in the presence of that good of a sporter shooter. In looking at Ed's sporter results this year he has shot 18 250s in 97 sporter targets. 18.5% of the time Ed shoots a 250 with his sporter, and many of them have big X counts too. Dominating performance to say the least! Another interesting stat is that 24.7% of the time Ed drops 4 or more points, leaving the door wide open for someone to shoot a 249, 248, or even a 247 to possibly take the win. Again, I would say- Don't make excuses, get back on the horse, and do it again, even when you drop a point. Not trying to single Ed out, but he has one of the larger sample sizes since he shoots lots of sporter targets.

As long as we are talking sporters and being a new guy- What is with the thought that sporters are expensive and hard to build? And along the same lines, that rimfire guns are somehow harder to build than centerfire rifles? I have built both of the guns I am currently shooting. They also happen to be the only 2 rimfire benchrest rifles I have built, or shot for that matter. The only other real bench gun I have shot is my uncle's 6ppc at prairie dogs. I put both guns together using readily available components available from the common suppliers. The places I ordered from didn't know me, as I was unheard of in the rimfire world(still am, for the record...) when I was ordering the parts. I am confident that I did not receive hand selected components or special treatment. I am also confident I got the next one on the pile as my orders were pulled. Did I happen to steal a golden horseshoe off a unicorn to end up with a competitive sporter on my first rimfire build? Is it just a myth that rimfires, and especially sporters are harder to build than any other rifle? From the little machine shop knowledge I have, threading and chambering barrels is equivalent to apprentice level machine shop work. Indicating the bore of round objects in a 4 jaw chuck is everyday practice. Is the oft repeated talk of being hard to build and expensive what keeps people away? Looking back at both my sporter and heavy gun builds I know the heavy gun was ~$1000 more expensive, largely because the stock and scope were both twice the cost of their sporter counterparts. Seems like a ton of money, until you talk to the guy you know who runs sprint cars and has a $25k engine that blows a couple times a season and needs a full rebuild, or the guy with the $8k drift boat carrying $5k in fly rods and reels. This is a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be expensive ;)

Talking sporters and heavy guns bring us to another topic. Having to own and shoot 2 guns to play IR5050 3gun. I hear plenty of gripes that you would have to have a second gun to compete and what a burden it is. Somehow that burden goes away when guys show up with 2-3-4 unlimited/Heavy guns with ammo matched to each gun for an ARA/PSL match, cause redundancy is always a good thing and it would be a shame if the barrel went south, or the humidity or temperature moved out of the primary guns preferred range and they shot poorly that match. I also hear about having to have 2 rest setups. Not true as you can shoot ARA/PSL off a 2 piece setup. The argument has been made before that the 1 piece rest isn't an advantage and doesn't help scores, so sell it and get a 2 piece setup and then you can shoot any class anywhere. Seems to me there is little merit, and lots of excuse making. Don't make excuses, show up and shoot, or tell us that a 1 piece rest is easier to shoot from and that's why you won't shoot IR5050. Can't have it both ways here...

The ammo chase- Finding ammo that shoots good in your gun can be a chore, and can be expensive. We all know this. It is part of the rimfire game, and isn't unique to IR5050. Is anyone complaining that ARA or PSL attendance is down because of the ammo chase? Is it easier to find ammo for an unlimited gun than a 10.5# or sporter? Are the a select few who are in tight with the distribution network who are getting the good ammo before the rest of us have a chance? For the past 2 years I have been shooting eley match that was made/imported the year prior to the season I shot it in. The first season I blind squirreled 2 different lots, a 2 machine @ 1056, and a 5 machine at 1068. I shot a couple matches, didn't finish anywhere near the top, and had fun doing it. I didn't know what I didn't know so I went back for more at the end of September and bought enough for my planned matches in 2016. If I remember correctly ammo was a little more scarce in 15 as everything coming in was getting bought up within days of arrival. I tried to buy test lots, but by the time it made it from Zanders to me 1/2 were already sold out. I started this spring with enough ammo left from last season to shoot the first match in April. I ended up ordering 7 test lots. Most shot decent, but I wouldn't know "killer" ammo if it was written on the box, and 1 showed more promise than the rest. Killough ran a sale in May so I jumped on a full case. I have been shooting it all season, in both the sporter and heavy gun. I have shot as good as 250-20x with both guns, and have also managed to also shoot some low 230s with both guns as well. Pure luck that I was able to find decent shooting ammo that worked in both guns and allowed me to be competitive some of the time? Is there better ammo that I missed out on that would have resulted in more Xs and no scores in the 230s? Is it an internet legend that you must test 40-75-120 lots of ammo to find anything remotely good? Is talk of having to test hundreds or thousands in ammo to find something that allows you to be competitive scaring people off?

15 years ago I would see cardboard backers with a grid of holes left behind on the range. Occasionally I would see a target in the trash and thought it looked kinda neat. Just out of college, still living at home, and earning a meager living didn't leave much room for benchrest. Fast forward to 2008 and an email comes from the club asking for volunteers to help pour concrete bench tops for the new 50yd range. I helped, met some of the guys, talked a little benchrest, and then shelved it for another 7 years until 2015. Now in a better position to dispose of income on recreation I checked the club calendar and showed up at a match, after already placing my order for a 2500XS action. I met a group of guys who were willing to answer questions and explain some of the ins and outs. I also witnessed Doug Bell shoot a world record target that day, which almost caused me to reconsider doing this if I was going to have to compete against that level, but his humble reaction and commenting that the next target he shot wouldn't be nearly as good convinced me to stay the course. Dean Bircher stayed after that match and spent a couple hours giving me more information than I could comprehend at the time. The willingness of those shooters to share what they knew with a young guy just starting out made a huge difference. I would still be messing around trying to figure out what end was up if they hadn't shaved YEARS off the learning curve for me by sharing what they knew. As stated by others, one of the biggest barriers to new participants is even knowing it exists. As ambassadors for our sport we need to get the word out about the game we play, and be as inviting as possible to anyone who shows even a shred of interest. Keep it fun, after all it is just a game. As a new shooter who started with no equipment I also didn't find the current rules difficult to follow, overbearing, or overly restrictive. I think some minor tweaks could be made that don't alter the game, but allow for more freedom and access to equipment.

Potential Take-Aways:

Encourage people to show up and shoot. Get the word out to anyone who will listen. Let the newbie shoot whatever they bring to get a feel for the game. It makes little sense to chase someone away who probably isn't going to be competitive in their first match anyways. If they are serious they will quickly upgrade and meet the rules, if not, at least you know you tried to get them involved. Offer to loan equipment if you have extra, or to try your equipment after a match.

Worry less about what the other guy is doing and making excuses about it, and more time worrying about hitting the next X on your own card.

Recognize those who do well. Share results with one another via the forums and social media. Clap and give atta-boys at matches.

If you have read this far you may be thinking that many of my comments are pretty arrogant, about how good my equipment is or lucky I am in finding ammo, or how easy machining is. That is not my intention in the least. I have been fortunate to win some target this year, even some matches, but I've finished 3rd, 4th, 7th, 17th, or worse more times than I have won, by a large margin. I made the comments to hopefully show that getting started as a newbie and becoming competitive is possible and accessible, and the situation isn't as dire as some people try to make it.

Overall- Thank you to Tony for starting the topic and getting the ball rolling. I find this type of open, back and forth dialogue to be a positive which will hopefully allow us to maintain and grow the sport.

Travis

PS- Show up and shoot!

Travis,

Great post! Yours is a remarkable story. It shows what can be done if one puts their mind to task.

Your advice about getting the word out and helping others get started in our sport may be the best thing we can do to increase our numbers.

Thank you for your story and advice.

TKH

I agree, great post Travis. Sometimes I talk faster than I think but, apparently that's not a problem with you. Well thought out and arguments backed by facts. We will never get substantial numbers of young guys shooting benchrest. They are always drawn to the action of pistol, clays or highpower. Remember when you had kids and a wife home, car payments and a mortgage? Not much left over for expensive benchrest toys. Most of us start benchrest when it gets too hard to get off the ground after the prone match. I believe that lack of advertising is the biggest reason we're not picking up new shooters. People can't try what they don't know about. It also doesn't help when potential shooters see posts on the net that talk snobbery and clicks in the game. I have never been involved with a more helpful or friendlier group than rimfire benchrest shooters. That is the message that we need to get out!

It is doubtful that a rule change or several will attract any new shooters. What change would attract a new shooter that hasn't even read the existing rules? Changing sorter weight or scope power will not change costs, no smith I and aware of charges by the pound. To think a sporter is a factory squirrel gun is flat out wrong headed. That may be where they started but, today's sporter has evolved into a full blown custom every bit as much as your heavy guns.

I've seen organizations try different things over the years to increase participation, some worked to some degree others not at all. Factory class fell flat. IR unlimited seemed to work to compete with ARA. ARA sporter to compete with IR fell flat. Professional shooting with big cash payouts seems to work.
What is the answer? I don't know. I do hope someone does come up with an answer soon.

Ken Henderson

Some Stats

Here are some Stats as of 9/14/17: :D
Number of Shooters - 407
Number of Targets - 10,747
Number of 250's shot - 1,506
Number of 250 X's shot - 23,933
Average X's per 250 - 15.9
Number 750's shot - 67

Here are some Stats as of 9/14/17: :D
Number of Shooters - 407
Number of Targets - 10,747
Number of 250's shot - 1,506
Number of 250 X's shot - 23,933
Average X's per 250 - 15.9
Number 750's shot - 67

Would it be possible to get these same stats back 3 -5 years so we can see trends?

TKH

Tim,

The question isn't if you are aware of 10s and Xs, the question is do you know the difference in how to shoot for 10s, at the possible expense of Xs.
My use of the term "gaming" is the process a shooter may use in an attempt to hit tens, while being willing to give up Xs.

It is that fine difference in hold off necessary to hit the inside of the 10 ring rather than going for the center of the target. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't, but it is gaming the target as you are no longer trying to hit the target center.

Apparently my term "gaming" set off alarm bells, but I don't know any other way to describe the process.

Perhaps I'm the only one to uses this process? If so, let us keep it that way.

TKH

OK While that was a guess on my part since it was your term I did'nt want to assume your explination.
Trouble is, it's bulls..t.
I know of zero shooters that "game" this scenario, and I doubt you do as well.
That said, I know of plenty of instances where we sit down, look at conditions, realize it is not going to be a banner day, and fight like hell for 10's. That sir, is learning to shoot in condition, not gaming and those are the days where, low and behold, a 248 might win.
If you guys with this " pure scoring " baloney intend to fix that then hell......bury the whole deal and buy fishing rods because if that takes place IMHO, you killed it.

Last edited:
One thing that would put the missed shot idea to mean a whole lot less, would be to make the target much harder, such that no one hardly ever shoots a 250. Cut the size of the rings in half, and then the field will be spread out a bunch more. Lots of 10's turn into nines etc. Then a good score may be 240 or 245 and the field is more evened out for a "lost shot" because most everyone has a few. The other thing I think that may help would be making the target red so it is easier to see and can then be computer scored easier. Computer scoring would make it much easier and faster to put on matches.

stiller

I for one, would think your first point has more going for it than some of this other stuff.
The second part.....maybe not so much for two reasons. First, lots of folks are already moaning about expense and now we have two throw in for computers and scanners ?
Second, as I recall, the current ARA scoring came as a result of less than uniform scoring and reduction in errors, in IR 50 the protest, ref review process seems to handle this pretty well.
You know what, scorers get pretty good and the protests are reduced and reversals seem rare, all in all it seems to work.

Trends

Here's some interesting data for the last 4 years. I haven't gone into the quantities of 250's or X's per 250 because I'm not sure it's the relevant question. Given a little more time I can do that.

The 2017 data is only thru 9-17-17. I've done some quick calculations for the remaining matches in 2017 and I think it will end up with close to the same numbers from 2016. Maybe down 2%... maybe break even. We'll see. I don't know what ARA's numbers are year to year but I'd be surprised if they were much different in percentage gain/loss. ALL shooting sports are seeing declines and many would be pretty happy with these numbers. The notion of 3Gun "dying" seems a little premature. We're all dying. Some sooner than others.

I have also included the attendance from the Nationals for the last 4 years and this is important. These numbers are the real disappointment for me and many shooters. Because this is seen as the "face" of any shooting league and the numbers aren't good. Indoor Unlimited is the exception and it would be very interesting to hear from shooters why that's done better.

I don't think pursuing scoring systems that will make reclusive gunsmiths and a few shooters happy will do anything to attract new shooters.

I propose that ir5050 needs to focus on 2 things to stop the 3-4% yearly decline and turn around some of these numbers.

1. Make the Nationals a much larger focus. This means a concerted effort before, during and after. Bringing the 3 Nationals together for the "Champion of Champions" weekend next year is a great start in my opinion. Marketing that weekend well before the Fall and making a better effort to get news out while the match is happening will raise its' profile.

2. There is so much mis-information about ir5050 that's just allowed to be spread over the various forums and general conversations and it has done a fair amount of harm. I've only attended a few ARA matches but I've overheard some pretty crazy stuff about ir5050 and why they won't shoot it. I think that push back needs to happen when it occurs, both on the forums and in person. It doesn't need to be done in a belligerent way. The facts will speak for themselves. I just think we need to make sure that the real facts about ir5050 are out there.

View attachment 20096

Attachments

• TargetsSHot2017r.jpg
    TargetsSHot2017r.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Lets move on!

Wilbur,

May I suggest we lock this thread and move on to a new post that may have some substance and a chance of actually accomplishing something. I have thought of deleting the whole post but thought better of it.

Now that most have voiced their opinion lets try again and get something done! This committee was formed to have streamed lined the rule book, I thought in an effort to gain new shooters, not to appease the shooters we have. The current shooters have said they will continue to shoot 50/50 as it sits.

Here's some interesting data for the last 4 years. I haven't gone into the quantities of 250's or X's per 250 because I'm not sure it's the relevant question. Given a little more time I can do that.

The 2017 data is only thru 9-17-17. I've done some quick calculations for the remaining matches in 2017 and I think it will end up with close to the same numbers from 2016. Maybe down 2%... maybe break even. We'll see. I don't know what ARA's numbers are year to year but I'd be surprised if they were much different in percentage gain/loss. ALL shooting sports are seeing declines and many would be pretty happy with these numbers. The notion of 3Gun "dying" seems a little premature. We're all dying. Some sooner than others.

I have also included the attendance from the Nationals for the last 4 years and this is important. These numbers are the real disappointment for me and many shooters. Because this is seen as the "face" of any shooting league and the numbers aren't good. Indoor Unlimited is the exception and it would be very interesting to hear from shooters why that's done better.

I don't think pursuing scoring systems that will make reclusive gunsmiths and a few shooters happy will do anything to attract new shooters.

I propose that ir5050 needs to focus on 2 things to stop the 3-4% yearly decline and turn around some of these numbers.

1. Make the Nationals a much larger focus. This means a concerted effort before, during and after. Bringing the 3 Nationals together for the "Champion of Champions" weekend next year is a great start in my opinion. Marketing that weekend well before the Fall and making a better effort to get news out while the match is happening will raise its' profile.

2. There is so much mis-information about ir5050 that's just allowed to be spread over the various forums and general conversations and it has done a fair amount of harm. I've only attended a few ARA matches but I've overheard some pretty crazy stuff about ir5050 and why they won't shoot it. I think that push back needs to happen when it occurs, both on the forums and in person. It doesn't need to be done in a belligerent way. The facts will speak for themselves. I just think we need to make sure that the real facts about ir5050 are out there.

View attachment 20096

Bruce,

Thank you for your post and your stats.

I don't think we need to worry about comparing our numbers to ARA numbers. ARA seems to be driven by different factors. One of those factors is the number of ranges offering matches, and the number of matches those ranges offer. We have lost many ranges due to numerous reasons. Recovering those range may or may not be possible.

You are right the number 250's. They don't mean much, but it may tell us something about ammo. Especially the number of 250s shot indoors.

Promotion and getting the word out may be our best option to gain new shooters.

We do need a facebook page and we need to reference it every chance we get.

Pics can easily be uploaded to facebook and everyone with a phone can take the pics.

There is many things we can do, we just have to be motivated to do it.

TKH

Wilbur,

May I suggest we lock this thread and move on to a new post that may have some substance and a chance of actually accomplishing something. I have thought of deleting the whole post but thought better of it.

Now that most have voiced their opinion lets try again and get something done! This committee was formed to have streamed lined the rule book, I thought in an effort to gain new shooters, not to appease the shooters we have. The current shooters have said they will continue to shoot 50/50 as it sits.

Wilbur,

I'd second Gordon's suggestion to lock the thread and let the committee do its work. The committee was formed with 4 highly qualified members with the charge to look at the existing ir5050 rulebook and suggest ways to streamline it. I'm very interested in seeing their work.

Bruce

View attachment 20096

Bruce,
Do these number include targets shot at the Triple Crown?
TKH

Back