25 yard ammo test

Yes.

I have been unable to shoot outdoors lately. Is it productive to search for "good " ammo lots at 25 yards indoors?

anything good enough to buy will all be in one tiny hole. I have tested indoors for years and was taught a method that has found me some great ammo.

I have conversed with others who agree with me, people respected by the community here. Good ammo has no vertical in it.

I once heard on Doctor Radio, regarding weight loss, "There are no miracles in the Gym". Well, there are no miracles outside when it comes to finding great ammo.

Pete

Last edited:
I have done it but, frankly, I do not think you can rely on it.....at least I could't.
Go with what Pete said.......if you ever can figure out what it was.

33 yards

I have a friend that test at 33 yards indoor only and has complete confidence in it and it shows in results. It's basically stacking them in one hole on best. Todd

Some things one has to do

use a fan to keep barrel mirage at bay. Allow time for the air to stabilize. It only makes sence that if one is seeing a .224 hole after 10 shots, it's goona be ok everywhere. Don't be in a rush.

I reduced the Air Rife Benchrest target to copier paper size and use it. Shoot away from the dot but close enough so that you can easily measure for any vertica. I shoot a group in the sighter on the side of the target and if that looks promising, I shoot a line of bulls across the target. I then draw a line across the closest rings, horizontally and one can see, right away if they have anything worth buying. I have never seen ammo I tested this way to not work outside. If it is good enough I shoot a second line across to be sure. Now, I realize there are flyers in .22 rimfire ammo, It is a statistical fact but I want the best shot at having the least flyers I can get. I also realize the term flyer is debated but I consider it to be anything in the 9 ring. The good thing about America is things can be whatever we choose them to be.

Why fight the windflags and guess rather or not you can remember the condition you just saw?

Pete

Last edited:
Of course! 50 yards inside without the effects of wind might be better, but 25 yards inside will surely work and work better than testing outside.

I found this somewhere in my feeble memory and it might be valid....I remember Harry Deneen being the fellow that posted this info but if that's not correct...I don't care....:)

Some ammo will shoot great indoors but not so great outdoors. Test the ammo indoors, weeding out those lots that don't shoot, and then go outdoors with what is left.

Harry tested his ammo, Lapua, indoors at 25 yards. Why? That was how much room he had inside the clubhouse. Harry was a distributor for Lapua back in the day and he tested every lot he had before it went on sale to the rest of us. If I remember correctly anything that did not go into the same hole at 25 yards was put on the "for sale" pile.

Wilbur I recall Harry saying something of the sort. Perhaps not an exact quote but pretty close. bob

I have shot with Harry and Bob Holbruner at their clubhouse in Hagerstown. They did shoot at 25 yards, had a target with just the ten ring bulls. Pinwheels were expected. Indoors can give you an expectation but, the proof is shooting outdoors in conditions. Years ago a friend and I tested indoors and bought a lot that shot great. Took it outdoors that spring and might as well have been shooting Remington gold hollow points! I still have some of that ammo. I use it indoors, for our offhand league. Might as well, my crosshairs covers the whole target when shooing offhand anyway.

Ken

Back