243 win 1-12

370bc

Hello Benchrestcentral members!
I had my 243 win kimber Montana returned from a Douglas rebarrel and bedding job.
I would like some suggestions for coyote/target loads. I have finished fire forming while doing an OCW test with nothing outstanding yet. Thanks in advance.

Tell us what powder and bullet you have been trying, and what charges and seating depths. I am not much of a fan of the whole OCW thing, but have managed to work up a good load or two for most all of my rifles, unless there was a mechanical problem.

Sierra 85 grain HPBT and H4350.

Start 20 thou off the lands and work you way toward them. My load works 5 thou off. Start with 40 grains of 4350.

If you can't find something that shows promise with that, sell the rifle. If it does, and you want to tweak, you might try H414, IMR4064 and RE17.

If you rebarrel, you might look into the 6 BR. Might have trouble getting it to feed from the magazine, if that matters to you. The 6 BR is stupid easy to load for and there is a potential well of information available.

Last edited:
I tried 66, 80, and 87 bergers with different seating depths (.01''-.120'') with just under MOA results. Then I went with Sierrs 70, 75, and 85 with the 70's looking the best (Just under MOA with no depth variations). The Nosler 55 bal tips went into one raged hole @ 100 yards, but opened up @ 200. I worked with 5 different powders. I was by then getting a little nervous. Then I tried the 70 grain TNT's (one seating depth) and Voila!! A half inch group at 100 and one inch @ 200. I was hoping for half MOA with a higher BC bullet for windy days, but it looks like I hit a wall. Any ideas would be great! Thank You!

On every 243 I've used, a 70gr SMK with 42gr Big Game has proven to be very accurate. This has proven to be a great coyote load for me.

you want to tweak, you might try H414

I shot prone with rear bag and a harris swivel 6''-9'' notched leg bipod for the first time @ 400 yards with 2 vertical groups. One 3 shot group was 3 5/8'' and the other 4''. I am wondering now is this my in the field shooting technique or does the load need tweaking? Had some mirage. I had a wind switching from tail to right to left @ 10 mph.

Last edited:
Back