243 rem

big ted

just got it today it has a 26 in. heavy 26 in barrel with a 9 1/8 twist what bullet do you recommend for groundhogs thanks in advanced ted

I use the 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in mine with a stiff dose of IMR-4350.

58 gr. V-Max. They are very accurate and will shoot like a LASER. When they get to the end of their flight all you will see is the famous "RED MIST".

gt40

87 grain V-Max. with H4350 It has a better BC than those previously mentioned which will have less wind deflection and better down range energy. Very accurate;)

It would be difficult to find any 243 bullet that won't work on groundhogs.
All of the above suggestions are great. I seem to try a lot of bullets and end of with Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets. I have used 55 grains up to 95 grains. I would try to use one designed for varmints. Should you miss the bullet is designed to disintegrate. I think most all ammo companies have a Ballistic Tip clone in their line now. You could probably buy whatevers on sale and do just fine. I loved loading for the 243 for my buddies. We never had any problems finding a load for any of their rifles.

Enjoy your new rifle.

I use a 70 grain Sierra Blitzking most of the time. Those and the Nosler 70 grainers work very well. The Hornady 75 V-max & the Sierra 80 grain bullet(the one for varminting,forgot the name & #) works well too. I shoot them out of my 243Ackley Improved with very good terminal performance. Hope this helps and enjoy your new rig. :)
PS FWIW- Powders I've been using w/ the 243Win and the ackley version are Accurate 2700 and W-760 using both regular and Winchester LR Magnum primers with excellent accuracy.
Sam

Last edited:
.243 loads

try 37.5 of 4064 and a 85 sierra bthp; and 4064 and either a 60 or 70 grain sierra or a 70 baltip

I shot several loads on chucks...

37.0g of H4895 in a Win case with a Fed 210 with the 85g BTHP, bullet kissing the lands at 3150 fps put wings on chucks!

The very best load that I found was with an 80g Sierra Blitz BT, 210 primer, bullet kissing the lands. Start off your loads at 39.0g and go up to 41.5 stopping at pressure signs. My accuracy load in my rifle is at 41.5g with the 80g Blitz BT at 3450, and the groups at 300 yards are about 1 1/2".
I bump the shoulder's on the brass .0015 with a Bonanza Neck Sizer after firing this load and will get 6 or so firings before I have to full length size and trim.

When I hit a yote with this load, it sounds like I shot a brick wall....WHOP!

Good luck!

243 "shoots like a laser" ?

58 gr. V-Max. They are very accurate and will shoot like a LASER. gt40

My 100 megawatt pulsed YAG laser shoots much flatter than my 243 Win Rem 700 rifle. The laser also has much lower wind deflection. Maybe the 982 million fps "muzzle velocity" of the laser is why. So why is the 243 better? It's not because it "shoots like a laser". The laser is much more accurate at any distance limited only by atmospheric distortion (mirage).

My 14 lb 28" barrel 243 target rifle weighs about a third what the laser weighs. Most of the weght of the laser is power supply and cooling. The 243 delivers about 2900 joules of energy at the muzzle and 450 Joules at 1000 yards shooting a 90 grain Berger bullet. While a 100 megawatt laser sounds like a lot, each pulse only lasts 20 nanoseconds so the energy per pulse is only 0.2 joules as it exits the laser. It will only punch a hole in a paper target by focusing it at a range under 100 yards and then the hole is less than a millimeter diameter.

There are lasers which could do much better, but one which can deliver 450 joules to a 1/4" spot at 1000 yards won't be nearly as light weight or as cheap as a 243 Rem 700.

The twist of that barrel will prevent you from getting the best accuracy with the lighter bullets. I am not saying that it won’t shoot them, just not as well as the heavier bullets. I believe that you will find your best accuracy at around 90-100 grains. Unfortunately the heaviest varmint bullet for a 6mm is the 87g. Hornady 87g v-max, Sierra 85g Varminter is are good varmint bullets.

The twist of that barrel will prevent you from getting the best accuracy with the lighter bullets.

That may be true in general, but I had a 6mm Rem with a 1:9 twist that would shoot the 55 gr Noslers better than anything else. 0.4-0.5s 5 shot groups at 100 yds where the norm. At 4000 fps it shoot great out to 300 yds. Probably not the best on barrel life which is why it was rebarrelled last year. The same barrel would also shoot the 107 SMK. I had three identical Rem 700 Varmints in the 6mm Rem. Only one would shoot the 107 SMK. The other two wouldn't stabilize them.

My personal favorite varmint bullet for the 6mm Rem currently is the 75 gr VMax. At 3550 fps, it is very flat shooting and I took coyotes at +400 yds this year with it. The 243 should be able to delivery a close velocity.

tiny

Back