233 Rem Primer Choice??

kdvarmint

Considering a Savage Model 12LRPV in 223. Plan to load 75 or 80gr bullets. Will most likely load with Varget. The question is, which primer are you folks getting goods results with, with this combination? Might have some primers available now and want to make some choices while they are available.

Thanks,
kd.

I'm not as technical as some, but I've got a Savage .223. When I went to SD with it, I was running Rem 7 1/2 Match with H335 and 55 gr V-Max.

This combo worked to over 500 yards.

If you plan on pushing a .223 with any bullets, Rem 7.5's, and CCI BR4's seem to have the strongest cups. I've shot many rounds using WSR primers at pressures I'm sure would make manual writers cringe with no problems, they flatten, but they don't pierce. Many years ago I had problems with Rem 7.5's the failed at the radius of the cup apparently from "bad" cups, and it's something I've never experienced with other primers. Although F205's seem to stand up to high pressures in BR competition in standard actions I've experienced more flattening and cratering with them than any other primers.

Maybe the best thing to do is to assemble loads with the primers that are available to you and try them to see which gives the best accuracy and performance. Takes time and uses up expensive components and barrel life, but it's the sure way to know for yourself.

The cci 400s pierce easy. cci 450 are thicker as are BR 4s.
I don't use Remington 7.5s since I got several bolts torched a few years back. Kenny

Back