22lr VS 17hmr accuracy ?

O

ots03

Hi...of coure I know the 17 has a flater trayectory...but I would like to know which caliber could be more accurate (under ideal wind conditons at 50yds) Any theorical reason ?

I'm going to go with the 22 because there is higher quality ammo available.

I had a "high end" 17 HMR where the chamber was so big it was splitting case necks and sholders. The fired cases looked like some sort of Ackley Improved wild cat.
There is just so much more known about how to build a good 22 that I would never go back to 17HMR.
If your barrel and chamber can't shoot with the Hornady .17 V-Max bullet that means you can't use half the ammo on the market today.

I had a custom 17 built on a rem action with a lilja barrel that will shoot with my ans & 40x at 50yds but at 100yds the 17 will shoot rings around the 22.I'm not talking any 22 but some of the best.
Joe

My experience

I have a CZ 452 in 22lr and a CZ453 in HM2. The 22lr shoots half inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards with the most friendly ammo and the hm2 shots quarter inch groups with the most friendly ammo. This is very consistent. Not exactly your question but it might be of interest.

i have a suhl and a savage 93 that has been rechambered and recrowned. the .17hmr rules at 100 yards. at 50 yards the suhl is cock of the walk. the only ammo made for hmr's is hunting ammo not match.

Wrong question but right track

Per the above responce the 17m2 is more accurate than the 22lr. Question that? Check out Steve Boelter's book Riflemans Guide to Rimfire Ammunition. In a custom gun would guess the 17 hmr would also be more accurate than the 22lr at any range out to 200 yards. Probably will not find out definitvely unless ARA allows all rimfire to compete where the 17's will have an advantage of worst edge scoring since edge is 10-20 % closer to point of impact. Pretty sure the 17m2 would clean their clocks. Think the 17hmr might be better yet.

The only rimfire group that allows 17m2 is USBR where best edge scoring gives edge to 22lr and their records are ancient and not much current participation. The records are seperate but equal? See Brown vs board of education. Rock chalk jay hawks. Far as I know no one has 17hmr competeing.

Really would like to see ARA open their competition to both of these 17 rimfires but imagine they fear the end of 22lr at 50 yards. I firmly believe their worst fears are justified.

Cheers, Grog. :)

if my .22lr shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards i would be looking for the right ammo and then bedding it. i hate the hm2 myself. i own a hm2 and 2 hmrs. none of them will put up groups like my .22lr at 50 yards. i don't believe that with match rounds for the .17 calibers that they would compet with the .22lr. at one time i did, but i have seen the error of my ways.

Having owned 3 17HMR's(Cooper 57LVT, 2 Marlin's) I can tell you they do shoot really well. Shooting them against a regular now-a-day cheaper 22, I would have to give them the edge by quite a bit. Shooting them against a full blown match gun with good Eley ammo or SK Pistol Match, the 17's are gonna take a whippin. My Suhl will easily shoot groups consistantly a lot smaller than any 17HMR I have owned including the Cooper. At 50yds, it wouldn't even be close. Anyone who has a factory 17HMR that they say will shoot like a laser probably hasn't never owned a 22lr custom bench gun. I do believe you can make a 17HMR shoot even better by getting one like Joe Besche and soup it up on a custom action like he did. At 100yds, on calm days with little wind, I believe a good match gun would give a great shooting 17HMR all it would want. But on typical windier days, at 100yds, the 17's rule. But what kills the 17HMR in what I call accurate consistancy is the availability of what I call very good quality ammo. The 22's are where it's at for the super match grade ammo.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
But what kills the 17HMR in what I call accurate consistancy is the availability of what I call very good quality ammo. The 22's are where it's at for the super match grade ammo.

Brad

Yup, you are right! The 17 HMR is for ground squirrels, not paper!

CZAfterToothpaste.png

Last edited by a moderator:
now that is a pretty hmr. what kind is it? i like the fluted barrel on it.

17 hmr vs 22lr

one thing is the hmr is bigger and more powerful . the bullet is designed differently. i am not really rimfire shooter although i have 541-s. with good ammo it shoots real good. my thoughts are: if i compare my sendero 25-06( 500$) with 87 grain balistic tips and win brass to my 6.5-284 with krieger barrel mcmillian stock lapua brass and berger bullets that have been sorted which is going to be more accurate?? i say if you are going to compare a 17 h2 to a 22lr you need to use like guns like a 504. and since 17 h2 ammo is 4$ you need to use 4$ 22lr ammo. roninflag

Back