.22BR help needed

300winsniper

I normaly shoot rimfire BR, but came across a good deal on a centerfire gun I felt I could start out with, and its a .22BR. (the guy needed money) My question is; I have 50 brand new Lapua 6BR sized down, trimmed to length, neck turned, and primer pockets uniformed to .22BR, a pound of H322, a pound of Benchmark, a box of Nosler BT competition 40gr, Berger 52gr, sierra blitzking 50gr, and 100 205M primers, now what kind of load would someone recommend I try with this mess. Oh yea, the rifle has a 1:16 twist if that helps. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for all your help.

If it's got a 1 in 16 twist it won't likely stabilize anything longer and heavier than a 40 gr bullet, and then maybe only a hollow point. My .22 BR has a 1 in 12 barrel and with either H322 or Benchmark I'd start with the 40 gr Noslers, 28 or 29 gr of powder and go up until you get something that works. I've used Reloder-7 and AA 2015 which are a little faster (usually) than the two powders you have on hand. I've gone up to 32-33 gr with 2015 and 40 gr Ballistic Tips and gotten good live varmint accuracy at over 4100 fps.

You can try the heavier (50 gr on up) bullets, but I'd be willing to bet that accuracy will be some less than great with that slow twist. I think that Sierra makes a 40 gr HP that will probably stabilize and work.

My 22BR loves Benchmark.

-32.5 and a 40 gr. Nosler BTip is 4,020 ( 23" barrel) and shoots .2's & .3's :)
-31.5 and a Berger or BIB 52 is 3650. It simply shoots dots with either one. ;)
-Lots of N540 behind the Berger or BIB 52 will stack 'em a hole at over 3800. :eek:

If it's really twisted 1:16, things could get a bit herky with the longer bullets. Lots more good load info at 6mmBR.com also.

Enjoy your 22BR!

all of the loads posted have the potenial to work well, or not so well. I always play around with a load before i decide if its a good load or not. (everyone forgets from time to time my self included) seating depth powder charge and primer can all effect the accuracy. EX. in my 6mm br going from an O.A.l of 2.4409 to an O.A.L of 2.4493 affects my average group by about 0.1 at 400 yards.

all of the loads posted have the potenial to work well, or not so well. I always play around with a load before i decide if its a good load or not. (everyone forgets from time to time my self included) seating depth powder charge and primer can all effect the accuracy. EX. in my 6mm br going from an O.A.l of 2.4409 to an O.A.L of 2.4493 affects my average group by about 0.1 at 400 yards.

Back