.223 Win outside neck diameter

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
if anyone has a 223 Win I would like to know the outside neck dia using Win brass and 40gr Sierra Blitz Kings and 30 or 40 gr Bergers.

I have never had one and need the bushing size. I would like 1 and 2 thou tension.

So has anyone shot the 30 gr Bergers? Thoughts? What can I expect for velocity? Something tells me I should be able to get close to 4 grand??????

Calvin

I have new Win. brass loaded with 52 gr. Speer bullets that measures .246 OD. I have used a .245 bushing for bolt action and AR's for
about 14 years with no problems. I have shot no bullets under 50 gr.
Hope that helps

Loaded neck diameter

I found the same thing as 'kansasvet'. I haven't been using WW brass, but had some new WW brass sitting here so I full length sized a few cases and measured case neck thickness, which varied just over 0.001" (between 0.0115 and 0.0130" thick). I measured the diameter of three different brands of bullets (none you mentioned) and they were all ~ .223" in diameter (under 0.224"). I seated a couple and got a .246" loaded neck diameter. It's a slow Sunday morning.

Doesn't hurt to measure because of difference in lots.

I don't need to turn necks because I use a .252 no turn neck reamer, but I generally take off a thousandth to even them up. - nhk

your gonna need the bullets and seated to establish a throat for a reamer........
and at 4000 fps expect the throat to move forward quickly....
my hart ss 1/14 moved quite a bit initally then slowed down....that is 52/53's doing 3500/3600fps from a 26" bbl

mike in co

Mike, I am not getting my own reamer. I am just going with the reamer that the smith that is doing my job has. I never asked him what the throat length or neck diameter is. He told me it is short. Not to concerned. The barrel I am using is a SLIGHTLY used Hart 14 twist. Going to have it finished at 24".

Living up here in the Great White North I was told to get a 12 twist. I did not want to put a lot of money into this job. One of my shooting buddies had this barrel so I took it off of his hands. I just want to shoot 30 and 40 grainers out of it to about 200 yards. If I need to go further I have real smack down power with my 243 Win and 55gr BK's or 88gr Bergers.

calvin

1:14 twist and throat

I was given a Remington 40X 1:14 Hart take off barrel in .223 Rem and I contoured it and threaded it for a Savage action, set the barrel back and re-crowned it. The finished barrel is 18.5" and has a brake. My .223 reamer is throated for 55-69 gr bullets (1:9 twist) so the throat was long from the start. I loaded 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3400+ fps and initial accuracy was great (.1-.2's), but the throat has grown 0.025" with 150 rounds fired and I now can only seat 0.060" of the bearing surface in the neck so I'm switching to 52 gr Sierra MatchKing bullets with a longer bearing surface. I only have my time invested in the barrel so it really doesn't matter, but I will definitely use a different reamer for the 40 gr bullets in the future. I only used the 1:14 twist because it was free and wouldn't buy a .224 barrel (for .223 Rem) with a twist slower than 1:12, but prefer 1:9 barrels. - nhk

I have no idea why I call it a 223 Winchester???????????? I guess that tells you how much something means to me if it is NOT a PPC......................

Calvin

A lot of American cartridges have no rhyme or reason why they are named as they are. Winchester and Remington tend to tack their name on if they are the company that brings them out as a factory cartridge.
It's like a lot of other things, you just have to know, and even then it can be confusing.
I still haven't figured out the parent case on some of the obscure wildcats.

Back