.223 br bullet/brass combo slection

pbgear

I bought a new .223 lh nesika br gun made by richards custom from the classifieds section here a little while back. shot it yesterday with the accuracy load from sierra using lake city '02 brass and 52 grain bthp sierra mk bullets. shot four 100yd/5shot groups with the best two coming in at 0.181 and 0.217 inches ctc. fwiw - we can only shoot to 300 yds at my club (south jersey shooting club, winslow, nj).

with this in mind I have heard that the 53 grain flat base sierra mk bullets and lapua brass may group better than my current load.

any thoughts on going this route (and the additional cost of lapua brass) - or should I concentrate more on my shooting technique? thanks in advance

Last edited:
Just out of curosity, what load are you shooting in the rifle?

Mike Swartz

here are my load specs:

lake city brass '02 brass, wolf primers, 26.9 grains of H335 and a 52 grain sierra bthp matchking moly bullet loaded to .005 off the lands

brass is trimmed on my gracey and primer pockets are trimmed/uniformed

Flags to read pesky wind

"or should I concentrate more on my shooting technique? thanks in advance"

Yes, as well as.................

Wind flags..... I say it alot, but it's THE truth.....

Call up a custom bullet maker and order their 52gr pills.... The Sierras are pretty good...But.

P.S. If you can take your loading gear to the range, you'll succeed faster in tuning you load and waste FAR less components.

The flags to start with can be simple and cheap...Attachment:

cale

Attachments

• P2070125.jpg
    P2070125.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 265
  • P2070126.jpg
    P2070126.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
lol......if you can shoot an ag in the low 2's /sub 2's you are doing well. actually very well( i have spent years, part time getting my 223 to get to this point 0.19x). br bullets should help, but they often will not fit a std chamber. i have a chamber set for sierra 1400's and berger 53's...and several true br bullets will not touch the lands and still be in the case....

try a couple other powders, n133 and some newer 8202.

mike in co

thanks for the replies.

as to custom bullets - any recommendations as to make and preference as to flat base or boat tail?

"lol......if you can shoot an ag in the low 2's /sub 2's you are doing well"

thanks, the rifle is crazy accurate - it's not me. I am not decrying my results but thought that if I achieved these results so easily with some educated fine tuning I should be able to do better.

thanks

Last edited:
I use Lapua brass in my .223. The advantage to them is in the uniformity of the neck thickness and the case body down by the web. They don't go into a banana shape nearly as easy as other .223 brass. You will have to start lower and work up because the Lapua brass is softer than LC.

As for bullets, most of the customs are 52gr FB. Custom bullets will be worth the small extra expense.

I would also recommend H-322 and VV N-133 as powders to use. I think you will find that they are more consistently accurate than H-335, or any other ball powder for that matter. N-133 burns so clean its ridiculous, and its fast and accurate.

h322-

I have an 8lb keg of 322. what do you recommend as a load under a 52 grain bullet ( I ordered 2000 barts )?

than

I would start around 24grs and work up. The Bart's bullets shoot well. One of the advantages I like about seating into the lands is that you can do some load development during fireforming. It may not result in the load you end up with, but it will give you a range to work in.

Since this is a BR rifle, I assume that it has a minimal chamber and a tight neck dimension that requires neck turning, or is it a standard chamber?

Back