223 and wind

S

shootin

Was shooting my Ar today in various winds , no flags . Groups varied from 1 inch to two and a half inches . Would ten to fifteen mile an hour winds have this much effect on a 223 at 100 yds ?
Shootin

maybe

If you shot one shot in a full left wind and the next in a full right it would be worth approx 2.4 inches total (10mph at 100 yards).

Of course you have to add to that the regular grouping ability of the rifle itself - say 1".

So you could have a total of up to almost 3-1/2 inches total spread.

Of course it could just be a rifle problem or a shooter problem - unless you shoot over flags you will never know.

Scott

What did the group dispersion look like? Did you have vertical stringing or horizontal stringing. Horizontal is wind, Vertical you are having issues with equipment or loads

in that wind without flags with a 223, 2- 2 1/2 in groups would be the norm,without flags and a little time to learn what there telling you, your wasting time and ammo, those little bullets don't buck cross winds as good as bigger heavy bullets

Thanks for the input . I was testing various loads for accuracy , A.E. 55gr fmj , shot about an inch top to bottom and about 2.5" wide . Win. 55gr fmj was almost a complete horizontal string , less than .5" tall and about 1.5" wide . Black Hills 60gr s.p. was three in a nice .5" triangle and two dropped out about 2" at 5 oclock . Hornady 60gr s.p. was four under an inch and again a flier at 5 o'clock 2.5" , Fed. 55gr BallisticTip shot two 5 shot groups an inch and one slightly under ctc , at this moment the wind died down and the rain picked up . Some old IMI 55grfmj I have had for quite a few years shot three in a nice .5" triangle and again dropped two 1-2' at 5 oclock . Black Hills 52gr match moly shot four into an inch with one flier opening group up to about 1.5"at 2 o'clock . Thanks for the info , so with what your saying , the 10-15mph wind would be about 1.25" drift ? Also I was shooting from the west to the east with a north wind about 8-9 o'clock .
Gun is a 1-12 twist heavy barrel olympic Arms Ultra Match upper with a Vari-XIII 2.5-10x50 . Shootin

Back