222 Remington

T

taxman

Hi folks,

Just purchased a nearly new Nesika in 222 Remington. Has a 1-14 twist 4 groove Krieger, Jewel Trigger, my first true custom.

I have been shooting 52 grain Bergers over a full case of V-133 with 205M primers and Norma cases.

So far groups are under .4" @ 100 with some in the teens. I am stoked with the results.

Just looking for some wisdom on the deuce.

I just shot some new cases tonight over the CED chronograph...

String 3
1) 3383.0 -3.4
2) 3382.0 -4.4
3) 3386.0 -0.4
4) 3395.0 8.6
5) 3386.0 -0.4

High: 3395.0
Low: 3382.0
E.S.: 13.0
Ave.: 3386.4
S.D.: 5.1
95%: ±7.1
Thanks for any info!!

Tony

Flags? Are you using them?

Velocities seem consistent. Have you worked on tuning with this combination?

Have you tried 4198? 4895? H322?

Have you tried other bullets?

Are you shooting 3 or 5 shot groups?

The 222 is capable of fine accuracy. And it appears you have a fine custom setup that should yield same.

I've not had best results in 222 with VV133. Could be my rig or me. My best results have been with 4198 and H322.

Dennis

Last edited:
Hi Dennis,

Currently I am not using flags, next on my list to purchase. This afternoon was about dead perfect for conditions. Any consensus to what are the flags to purchase?

Just got the rifle last Friday, the 133 was already in my measure and thought I would try it.

The Bergers are the first bullets I have shot, waiting on some Barts.

I am shooting 5 shot groups. I understand 5 is not necessary, but I have always used 5 shot groups.

I have IMR-4198 and H-335.

Thanks for any input.

Duece

It is hard to beat the Ronnie Cheek 52 grain flat base and 20.2 gr. of H 4198. I have a McMillen stock and Hart barrel chambered by Hart in Heavy Varmint. It is just a joy to shoot....no recoil and not as much a noise impulse as a PPC. I keep threatening to shoot in a match.

Keep good records and keep up with brass maintenence as the brass is no way as tough as the Lapua Russian or BR brass.

Shoot and enjoy and it will teach you many things as soon as you get good flags.

Taxman

You can find great flags on the classifieds on this site .....suppliers....go down to wind flags. Carbon River,Graham,and Shadetree come to mind. Pick out a design which you can see at the yardages that you shoot and learn to read them. You could go to a match and see several types and ask around and pick out a great set. The key is to learn what you have.

Just remembered...Steve Sanson of Nicholasville, Ky. makes a great flag at a good price and has an ad on ebay for the flags. I bought six and am very happywith his quality and price.

Hello, no wisdom from me - but I am old enough I SHOULD have some.
My .222s, which I've had a bunch, all shot about everything well, some just better.
Currently I have a sako 75V that shoots BIB's 52 with imr-4895 at 24.6 & bullet jammed with bolt close. It will shoot typically 10 at 200 into <.75".
I say 10 at 200 - I use as a load test due to I shoot score at 200.
If it won't hold 10 close I can't use it.
This load takes a drop tube & judicious tapping to get down in the neck, but it's the most consistent grouping load I've found for THIS gun.
It also likes imr-4198 & h-322 as someone else said.
Rel-7 & Win 748 are also good ones.
I'm betting BENCHMARK is a good .222 powder as well....but I've not done it yet.
My 40xbr likes 22.8-h-322....& Bib 52 jammed.
Don Gentner's 52 is another good bullet. I shot it all summer a couple years back in the Sako. It miked out almost exactly the same size as the Bib's.
I recently got a bunch of the old Starke BR 52's, and Bart Sauter bought those dies & is marketing them as ZIA 52's, I have 500 of these as well.
I am envious of your rifle, it's exactly what I want to have.
Steve Long.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I was really nervous buying a used rifle, but the gentleman turned out to be as honest as the day is long. Dan Dowling smithed the rifle, looks as good as it shoots. I am very happy with it so far. The Nesika is high quality all the way. Beats my custom Remington into the dirt.

Tony

Tony, if you ever want to sell yo nesika 222 - figure out how to find me on this forum & let me know.
I've always wanted a CUSTOM actioned .222 & am currently sort of saving "mad money" towards building one myself, but would much rather buy one already built.
I've got one too many 1911's & I think I can move one of them to help get an action.
I just need to get started on it.
If you've heard of a "ladder test" I recently ran my first one last week, on a .30BR with h-4198 and it pointed out some neat charge range points of interest.
It might point out some things with your nesika as well.
222's rule.
Steve.

Steve,

I have not had my baby long enough to be bored with it yet;), sorry

I gave $1,700 for the rifle, which I think was fair. It wears a McMillan fg stock as well.

I have not had the time to do a complete ladder test as of yet.

I finally have most of the tools to be able to load at the range now.

Take your time on your new rifle. Ask lots of questions on this site, it will be definitely worth your wait. I wish I went this way the first time.

The Remington is ok, shoots good, but no where near the quality and performance of a true custom.

222's Rule!!

I am waiting to receive a custom 222 on a trued Remington action with a Hart barrel. Bob White is the smith. I can't wait to try it out. Gotta get some flags myself and then learn where to place them and how to read them. My factory 222 rifles sure shoot well! Did you guys see this site?

www.tripledeuce.net

Peter.

A nifty little site.

The knowledge on this site is far superior as for actual loads and info. Between here and 6mm br site, I have learned more in the past 6-8 months that I learned on my own in ten years prior.

My 222 was built by Dan Dowling and it shoots. A joy over a 243 improved, does not pound you and you stay on target.

I purchased a used PPC from Bob White that also shoots. I was impressed. Good guy to deal with

Thanks for everyones help!

Tony

Lapua brass

Hey Tony,
Have you tried the Lapua brass from RPS yet. STILL don't got mine yet............ Maybe ONE day!!!
Possum

tripledeuce

hi folks,
do not put a remington action down. i had bought one back in 1994, 40xbr, in a fiber glass stock, and a jewell trigger. it shot much better than i could shoot it. used fowler 52 gn flat base with imr 4198, becareful with 4198, 19.5 to no more of 20.5, you will shot good groups. when i shot br with it, my goal was to shoot 1/4" groups, true the ppc crowd will shoot in the ones, but with flags, and learn to shoot well in the wind, the deuce will get you near the top ten. good shooting dan at tripledeuce222@comcast.net:):):)

Lapua brass

Possum, I would ask any retailer that you may deal with if they have any. That is how I found 2 boxes. I just asked on a long shot and they had the two that I bought. Its worth a try. Although I know its not the same but I have been using Winchester with fairly good success. Everybody has it. Of course it takes more sorting and prep time, but it works for me. Gotta love the .222! Who can give a tutorial on where to position and read wind flags? Thanks, Peter.

Hey Possum,

I have not shot any Lapua yet, busy at work.

Joe has replied here a few times apologizing for his tardiness in replying to some orders.

Try giving him a call or email him, he always responded to me. My brass took about 2 1/2 weeks to get here. Only order I had with him. Other posters have said not too worry.

Tony

222 brass

I have made contact with him since his return from South America. It's just kinda annoying that I ordered the brass on Aug 27th and still don't have it. Gotta brand new 222 Revenge with no boolits. Yea, coulda bought some Winchester or Remington brass but my funds is bout depleted from getting the rifle built and all the bells & whistles that goes with it.

I am about as impatient as one can get. Getting involved in this type of shooting sure can slow you down. Take your time and relax.

I am in the same boat. I have spent a pretty penny this year and have had to wait on a couple larger purchases. Good things come to those who wait.

The wait can allow you to accumulate or few bucks. You'll need them, once you get shooting, you'll want to shoot more:) in the next few years, I promise, you'll spend more and shoot more.

Just enjoy!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I was really nervous buying a used rifle, but the gentleman turned out to be as honest as the day is long. Dan Dowling smithed the rifle, looks as good as it shoots. I am very happy with it so far. The Nesika is high quality all the way. Beats my custom Remington into the dirt.

Tony

The best benchest loads i used was 24 grains of ww-748 and a 52 grain ZIA bullet.
i shot a .222 shilen built DGA rifle until i shot the throat out,won a small group in UL class and shot several mid 20's aggs with that load,i used norma brass.

Tony,

I have a Panda, Kelbly SPG, Shilen combo in 222 with 0.246'' neck. I am using a case FULL of Benchmark - 25++ gn (be careful), Federal 205M, 52gn Watsons made by Bart Sauter jammed into the lands in Norma cases. The thing shoots very well. I have shot plenty of groups in the 1's at 100 and low 2's at 200.
Flags are a must. I have the Elliott flags from Australia but take your pick. Even though you think there is no wind, you are mistaken. Even if you can't see it, it is there and does funny things to your group. Be prepared for your groups to shrink once you get flags and learn to drive the gun while reading the flags.

There is no better feeling than beating the PPC boys with a 'pop-gun' :)

Best of luck.
Peter

Back