.222 Remington build advice

This is my new "Bench" gun just before I sent it out for bluing and checkering.

The duece shot surprisingly well when I test fired it.

There's a lot more about my actually building this rifle on another thread.

Last edited:
A look at mine

Yes it can. A good shooting 222 will beat a poor shooting PPC every time. I know that what I wrote there didn't say much of anything but on the other hand it said it all. The better question would be something like - What's the odds of building a 222 that will win Benchrest matches? Nobody knows the answer to that one either.....but most will say "slim chance".

This sleeved and trued 222 used to be my BR rifle until I built the first 6PPC. It was retired and returned to being a field rifle refitted with a hunter class stock and magazine. Fitted with a NF 8x-32x - 56 BR. In mild conditions it will small group in the high one's. Will agg high two's to low three's. In the same conditions the PPC will always out agg it. #2.jpg

This sleeved and trued 222 used to be my BR rifle until I built the first 6PPC. It was retired and returned to being a field rifle refitted with a hunter class stock and magazine. Fitted with a NF 8x-32x - 56 BR. In mild conditions it will small group in the high one's. Will agg high two's to low three's. In the same conditions the PPC will always out agg it. View attachment 19055

You're probably right. However, if you shoot a .22 PPC, 100" short, you can easily be competitive with the 6's. That cartridge has won the Super Shoot at least twice with a very, very small percentage of competitors shooting it. (Mike Ratigan & Bill Forrester.)

My favorite load for the .22 Short gave me 3490 fps which is the "extra grunt" needed that I mentioned above.

Not tricked out in any unusual way (yet), but I've got a new .222 in the works for my Sporter experiment for this season. Thought is that the PPC dominated the deuce because it was good, and because a 6mm was required. Without the 6 requirement I decided to see how competitive the old cartridge could be with all our modern build techniques. I'm kind of limited on how radical the changes can be because I don't plan on investing in new rest components until I see how it plays.

Rod
Last edited by CubCouper; 04-14-2013 at 12:08 AM.

It would be nice to get input from someone who recently tested the deuce competetivly

223 BR rig

It would be nice to get input from someone who recently tested the deuce competetivly

Well is is a 223 Remington which I built recently in 223 with a tightneck .251 neck. And it shoots not to bad.

Gun Ruger American
Lothar Walther hand laped barrel
223 Rem tight neck .251
22"
Sighter group: .466
Group 1: .212
Group 2: .309
Group 3: .287

not windy, at 100 Meters fired in still conditions no wind.

I feel the gun can do better, but I am new to the BR game and I need to learn to shoot better.

attachment.php

Well is is a 223 Remington which I built recently in 223 with a tightneck .251 neck. And it shoots not to bad.

Gun Ruger American
Lothar Walther hand laped barrel
223 Rem tight neck .251
22"
Sighter group: .466
Group 1: .212
Group 2: .309
Group 3: .287

not windy, at 100 Meters fired in still conditions no wind.

I feel the gun can do better, but I am new to the BR game and I need to learn to shoot better.

attachment.php

My latest .222 Rem had a used .22PPC Hart barrel on a rebuilt 40XBR action.. It did better than yours!
21.00 grains IMR 4198/Fed 205/Lapua M cases/52 grain Gentner FB (RIP)
Lothar Walther is not in the same as Shilen, Hart , Lilja, Krieger, Bartlein and ......
I have never shot a Lothar Walther barrer barrel of BR Q.. and I have worked with many!
Dont take off your Savage barrel for a WL barrel!

My latest .222 Rem had a used .22PPC Hart barrel on a rebuilt 40XBR action.. It did better than yours!
21.00 grains IMR 4198/Fed 205/Lapua M cases/52 grain Gentner FB (RIP)
Lothar Walther is not in the same as Shilen, Hart , Lilja, Krieger, Bartlein and ......
I have never shot a Lothar Walther barrer barrel of BR Q.. and I have worked with many!
Dont take off your Savage barrel for a WL barrel!

I invite you to prove your claim at the 100 yard online bemchrest competition I put up, target upload is open until 3/31/17.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php...hrest-competition-target-upload-until-3-31-17

I am new to the BR game so I dont say I can shoot, but those groups are shot from a bipod prone in the dirt. And the gun can do better, I kniw it, but I am yet not able to show it on paper as my shooting capabilities end at 1/4 moa at the moment. But I will improve:) would be glad seeing your 25 shot agg. At the online competition. Thanks for your coment and shoot straight. Josh

Back