222 Rem Records

Stever

Can anyone tell me if the 222 Rem still holds any records? Could someone point me in the direction of a book or site that can answer some questions about this cartridge?

I'm after what records it held and for how long. General knowledge stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Just...

Can anyone tell me if the 222 Rem still holds any records? Could someone point me in the direction of a book or site that can answer some questions about this cartridge?

I'm after what records it held and for how long. General knowledge stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Just Google "222 Remington" and you'll find all the info you want.

virg

only one....but what a big un'

or shuld I say a lil' one....prolly the most imprtant and impressive one of all ...Light Varmint 5 shot at 100yds......

0.009 inches
Mac MacMillian
9/23/1973

Roger

virg, you click Google and tell me what you find. :rolleyes:

I asked about records it holds. The Google results speak in generalities. "It holds all kinds of records." and "It still is a record holder.", etc.

Benchrest Central would be the place to find out stuff like this, don't you think?

Thanks for that expiper. That's impressive. And I get excited when I shoot the odd group in the 2s. :eek:

Steve

or shuld I say a lil' one....prolly the most imprtant and impressive one of all ...Light Varmint 5 shot at 100yds......

0.009 inches
Mac MacMillian
9/23/1973

Roger

Could that group also hold the distinction of being the most controversial group ever recorded in the history of Bench rest?

Why???

Its in the book and I wasn't there to say yay or nay.Rumours are for little girls at pyjama parties.This crap comes up every second year no need to dispute it if you wern't there.Its a very impressive record AY???)chill()chill(

Mac's 0.009 record.

I have heard all of the rumors about the upside down target, the moving backer being shot past the end of the target frame, etc. Also, I have estimated that there must have been at least 25,000 people in attendence ...based on the eye witness accounts of the group being shot.

The record is in the book, and the signatures on the target are by honorable men....so let us put the rumors to rest and accept this exceptional record.

It would not surprise me if Tom Libby's 0.086 200 yard record is subjected to the same type of "bull" that Mac's did....and I was at St. Louis when he shot it. Good shooting...James

Attachments

• 2009_0925NBRSA0016.JPG
    2009_0925NBRSA0016.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,274
Last edited:
333smitty

Does anyone know what Mac's agg was on that yardage and where he finished?

Does it matter what the agg was as the record is for a small group, which is only 1/5th of an agg......I have seen many shooters shoot a very small group but a lousy agg.....and have done that myself.

Seems that a lot of people question this group (I personally wasn't there so accept it for what it is....a current record to try and beat), does that mean they also question all the honorable men that measured this group and made it a record???.....Ian

Last edited:
I have heard all of the rumors about the upside down target, the moving backer being shot past the end of the target frame, etc. Also, I have estimated that there must have been at least 25,000 people in attendence ...based on the eye witness accounts of the group being shot.

The record is in the book, and the signatures on the target are by honorable men....so let us put the rumors to rest and accept this exceptional record.

It would not surprise me if Tom Libby's 0.086 200 yard record is subjected to the same type of "bull" that Mac's did....and I was at St. Louis when he shot it. Good shooting...James

Jim,
I get the chills every time I see a picture of that Tom Libby group.One thing I "just got's to know"{ street punk to Dirty Harry}; Where was He holdin' ? Tom, feel free to jump right in here and give us all the details,now that you've stopped shakin'.
Joel

Vic

Last.

As for the record, it is in the book, and that is all that matters.

But, I would not recommend a new shooter to build a 222 for Competitive Benchrest based on that record.................jackie

January 9, 2000, 05:40 PM #3
Gale McMillan
Senior Member Emeritus

The smallest group at 100 yds ever fired in competition and holds a world record for 20 years is held by a 222. The group is .009 center to center.. If you are ever in Phoenix drop by as we have the target and rifle on display in the shop.

I remember when Gale posted that at the Firing Line in 2000.
He was dying of cancer, but he would always return my emails.
What a guy.

Stever

To answer your question Mac Millan shot the record .009 group with 50 grn bullets his brother Pat McMillan made. Neal Knox, a referee at the Skunk Creek Range that Mac shot the group at back in 1973, wrote an article for Rifle magazine giving all the particulars of the .009 group.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
No, I am not writing a book about Benchrest 222 Remington. :p I'd have to chase down books and talk to lots of people. I am putting together something varmint related though. I will attempt to find that article from Rifle magazine. Thanks.

Twenty six years ago, my wife bought one for me. It was the first rifle I ever owned that shot less than an inch at 100 yd. Before that, all the rifles I had were either military surplus or old, beat up hunting rifles.

I was living in central Quebec on an air force base. There wasn't much organized shooting around there. It was moose and caribou country. 222s and other pip squeaks sat unsold for a long time on store gun racks.

It was a 788 that cost less than $200 and the staff was glad to see it go.

Back