222 Rem Mag shooters...

Back to..

The .22-204.... Browndaug: Where do you get your .22-204 reamer and gauges? Does the caliber go by any particular name other than .22-204? I think I may be about ready to pull the plug, and was thinking about either JGS or PTG for the reamer... Thanks.

roger on that

The last 722/721 had the barrels with no rear sight boss,same barrel they used on the 725,for people that haven't seen a 725,they had a hinged floorplate,nice cut checkering,grip cap,monte carlo stock(no cheekpiece)and the safety is like no other 721/722/700,has a half safe position like a model 70,and looks similar to the model 30,and some of the enfield safety's

Crow99

PT&G made my reamer. Call them and have your loaded round neck OD, so they can grind the reamer, necks will be a little thinner than the 222 RM. If you want the reamer cut for a special bullet seating you'll need to send some dummy rounds.

Browndaug

Thanks, Browndaug. I was thinking of PTG on this. They make nice stuff and are excellent to deal with. So in order to get close to the neck diameter, it might be best to make up a couple of dummy rounds to measure before ordering the reamer. From your pic of the four rounds, it looks as though your chamber neck might be a bit on the large side. I believe I will just get a SAAMI .223 throat; that should be good for the usual 50 to 55 grain bullets.
Pacific also makes a nice adjustable throat reamer (have one in .30 cal.) so if there's ever a need to go longer, like for 69-gr. Sierra's, I can just pick one of those up.
Thanks for the info..

222 mag

Herter's made brass for the 222 Rem Mag. It is some of the best brass available. I try and pick some up whenever I see it for my rifles. Great cartridge for sage rats.

I had an L461 in .222 Mag.............

that showed pressure signs, cratered primers, w/the factory ammo, but I seated my bullets out closer to the rifling. Since I worked up to the load in hot weather, I kept going up until it "shot best", and that was two grains over max., w/H335, :eek: according to Hodgdon's data. (I have since been told that H335 wandered around, pressure-wise :eek: in the earlier years). I believe this was possible because there weren't the length constraints that a detachable magazine imposes, as in the L46 and L469 SAKOs. Redding now markets a tapered expander, .17 to .224 which will help w/the .204 brass. I believe that if the .204 brass has the shoulder pushed back, then given the improved treatment, one would probably see the best of both worlds: increased case capacity for higher velocity, coupled w/the longer neck, for supposedly better barrel/throat life, and reduced pressure signs. I read somewhere someone tried the "improved" 5.6X50, and said it "didn't work" (his summation) which probably meant he didn't try hard enough, or long enough. The best traits of that round is that it is 3MM longer in the body, where its important. ;)

222 mag

My best loads for the 222 mag have been with 52/53 gr bullets and Benchmark powder. Personally there is plenty of good brass out there and making a wildcat out of an already long case/caliber ratio doesn't gain much. I would rather have another .204 or 6x47 in the truck to grab when the barrel gets too hot! They all have their place. Also give the 30 grain Bergers a try as you can really make them fly.

.22-204

We have built two .22-204s, one a rechamber on a well used long throated .223 m700 varmint with 1-12"twist. Accuracy is as good or better than the original chamber, a lot of .2"s, a few .1"s. I use Rl-10 for 40 gr. bullets, and Benchmark for 55gr. It is great on prairie dogs out to 600yd. Rem. brass works well, no primer pocket problems. Simple neckup to 6mm, then down to .22 for a tight fit,(headspace).
The second one is a new Bartlein 1-8" on a 722 action, not much time on this one yet, but put in all the W-760 the case will hold behind a 75 grain AMAX, it will leave a .223 behind easily! Reamer came from Manson. kjk

Paul

There were several brands of brass made for the .222 Rem Mag. Remington brass was the one most associate with the caliber. Herter's imported .222 Mag brass. The box of the Herter's says made in Sweden, good chance it was manufactured by Norma.

For benchrest .222 mag brass became the base cartridge for making brass for the 6x47 Rem caliber. The operation to make a 6x47 is a simple one done by running a 6mm mandrel through the neck and fire forming.

Powders popular with the .222 Rem Mag and 6x47 are the same as for the
.222. Powders that I have used are 4198, 4895, 748, H322, H335, BL-C(2), RL 7.

Though only a few factory rifles were ever made for the .222 Rem Mag it is as good as as a .222 or .223 for field use and Range accuracy is good as either of it's cousins.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Back