.222 Is Not Dead

C

ColColt

I just had to go looking to see what possible may be out there today in a caliber I missed out on long ago...the .222 Remington. I found at least one source that still makes new rifles in that caliber and would like to have some advice about it if known. You don't find a host of rifles these days for the .222 and I don't won't to buy a used 40X-BR not knowing if the barrel was on it's last leg. Is this a worth rifle for the caliber? I'm just looking for mild shooting at the range and probably won't get into any kind of competition-at least that's not in my thoughts at the moment.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/997317343/Savage_25_Lightweight_Varminter_T_222_Rem_NE.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
222 is not dead

It looks like a good rifle, Then if you want something just a tad better try the Remington 700 in 223.
That's pretty mild shooting and should shoot very well out to 200. Recently the 700 varmint special sold for
about $500 in my area and had a $50 rebate.

I just found one in 22-250 on GunsAmerica but was a day late and a dollar short...it was already sold.

But a .223 is not a .222

Stuff the case full of IMR -4895 with a good bullet for your requirements target or varmint and go shooting.

I had a Husqvarna VT in .222 and a friend a Sako HB .222 that were used for rabbits.
On the long shots it would take a while before the bullet impact.:D

Glenn

I'd say Bob White's The List is the thing to peruse. Call even, if you want a .222. He does a fair bit of estate work, and has a gilt-edged reputation.

http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/

Sometimes the best plan is to buy the rifle you want, assume it has a shot-out barrel (though it may not), and just figure on re-barreling. I'd think that the best compromise you can make in the used rifle market.

Edit:

OK, I even looked a bit & saw:

B63. 222 Hvy Varmint, 12” long black sleeved 700 Rem R/R action; Shilen 25” bbl, 1-14T, .251 nk c.700 rnds; Shilen RH thumbhole stock w/cheek piece; ¼” laminated walnut handbedded in wood, natural wood color; Rem 7oz trigger; Includes: Unertl scope bases; Gunsmith: Shilen, Inc.; Exc cond. A ‘70’s vintage BR rig by Shilen that no one has messed with. $1695

and

B98. 222 Light Varmint, sleeved Rem 40X action; Hart 19½” fluted bbl .249.nk, 1-14T c.3-400 rnds; Brown Prec. f-glass glue-in stock, Lime green; Jewell 2oz trigger; Includes: custom made Unertl scope bases; Gunsmith: C. Mossakowski; VG/Exc. Cond. Superbly accurate triple deuce. $975. (cost to build new $1800)

Last edited:
On the long shots it would take a while before the bullet impact.

Shots with my 45-70 and a 525 gr bullet with 62 gr of BP at 300 yards you have time to light a cigarette before bullet impact is heard.:eek:

That is quite a "List" for sure. Lots of goodies to dream about. Those are two good examples shown. I can't conceive of a 2 oz trigger, however. I always thought 1 1/2 pounds was light! Thanks for the link. I'll mull over it a bit.

Shots with my 45-70 and a 525 gr bullet with 62 gr of BP at 300 yards you have time to light a cigarette before bullet impact is heard.:eek:

That is quite a "List" for sure. Lots of goodies to dream about. Those are two good examples shown. I can't conceive of a 2 oz trigger, however. I always thought 1 1/2 pounds was light! Thanks for the link. I'll mull over it a bit.

In competition benchrest, heavy varmint and light varmint rifles are for use in the respective classes of benchrest competition. 2 ounce triggers usually have no safety. If your interest is to actually varmint hunt, these might not be what you're looking for. If you just want to explore the limits of accuracy in casual target shooting, you might enjoy something like these examples.

Another possibility

I'm not into varmint shooting. There's little of that around my neck of the woods. Drive 25 miles from here and you're likely to have plenty, however.

Would this be a good rifle to get started with? It's a Savage Model 25 LW Varminter-T in .222 Remington and a good price. With a decent Leopold scope and mounts it may do well.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/71343

CZ's 527 has been chambered in 222 and has a single set trigger. Not a benchrest rifle per say but known to have good field accuracy.

222 is not dead

I like the older Sako in 222 they are out there. But an older 222 Remington is just as good. a 722 or a 700 ADL BDL early 70's are good.
Still today with a new rifle and whats available I would go with the 223.
I have a Winchester M70 In 223 and it shoots great , it has a 12 twist.

My first modern center fire rifle was a .222 in a Remington 722. It was a pleasure to shoot and it was accurate. I am going to make a wild statement with that will be checked out by someone.

The difference between a .222 and a .223 is about 20 yards. "The little Triple Duce" is a fine rifle for small game out to about 300 yards.

Back