220 Swift vs 22-250 rem

T

TedTF

Which one of these calibers will be less harsh on barrels? Seems like the amount of fatcory ammo for 22-250 would allow it shot at lower velocities and thus the barrel would last longerthan 220 swift. Which caliber rifle would you purchase?

Which one of these calibers will be less harsh on barrels? Seems like the amount of fatcory ammo for 22-250 would allow it shot at lower velocities and thus the barrel would last longerthan 220 swift. Which caliber rifle would you purchase?

Bill says that if you keep the 220 at 3800 with a 50-53 grain bullet, you get just as much life from the swift.

Swift has better brass and 22-250 has more available factory ammo. I find both of them easy to load for, and great varmint rounds.

Although, I do favor my 22-250.

Hyper vel .224" calibre

TedTF -

Actually, I much prefer a .224" cal wildcat of my own design.....
the .35 Rem case necked down ot .224" cal. This wildcat has a 26* shoulder; and works w/ a .308 bolt face. The " 22-35 "

I developed this .224" cal wildcat in the latter part of the 70's.
My intial trials w/a variety of factory and custom 22-250s, and my friend's
.225 Win and .220 Swift rifles; I decided tha tte only way I'd obtain the accuracy I was searching for... was to design .224" wildcat specifically taylored to my shooting needs. My custom 22-250s included one from P.O. Ackley's firm, one from an Ohio gunsmith named Meracle, a coupel of re-barrels done by Fred Sinclair; and I also shot some form Penrod and others.

22-35 performance:
From a 24" Hart SS 1-14 5-groove, I got 3,690fps w/ a load of Hornady 55 SX over 41.2gr WW760; and FED LR MAgnum MAtch primer.
I got into the 500yd club, w/ a prototype 55gr Hornady "V"-Max over
41.6gr VV160; and FED LR Magnum Match primer.

Shot from a 28" K & P SS 1-8 5-groove; I got 3,420fps w/ a load of
75"A"-Max over 40.5gr AA3100 and FED LR Match primer.
This load yielded 450ft lbs enegry @ 966yd; so would be good for a clean-kill on a groundhog @ 1,000yd.

The 22-35 I feel, is the ideal groundhog cartridge for MIDWEST groundhogs.
It would also be fine for use on rockchucks, coyotes' and so forth.
I have a letter from P.O. Ackley himself, who I once wrote; asking his opinion on my 22-35 wildcat. He responded back that it " should make a good case ". It DOES !

Case taper, base-to-shoulder dimension,shodler angle, rim diam and so forth;
are right in there w/ the more famous but no more capable 22-250 and
.220 Swift. The 22-35 is more closely akin to a 22-250AI in case capacity, w/o having to blow the shoulder out strenuously to obtain it.

My point:
You maybe to a point, where you can/should consider use of a wildcat.

Regards,
.357Mag

I have a 220 that I wouldn't trade for the world. It's days are numbered with around 1800 rounds and it won't win a factory class at shoots anymore but at 1500 rounds not much would beat it if I did my part. No question at all what I'll rebarrel mine as. I also have a 22-250 in a light weight gun that shoots good but nothing close to my 220. Same can be said if you load a 22-250 at a lower velocity it will last longer. Thats a general rule of thumb with any caliber. Heck load a 223 with a reduced load it would probably last longer the a pellet gun. Well maybe:D

Got both in custom rifles and if you don't push them too extreme you will get good life out of both. The swift has got a bad rap that I never understood. I guess in its day barrel steel and powders were not what they are today?

Just my opinion

I have both calibers in my gun safe. The Swift was one of the VSSF Ported models and it shot like a house on fire for about 2,000 rounds and then completely gave out. That was using a load of IMR 3031 and a 55 gr. 7 ogive bullet that I make. I also have a 22-250 that was built in the late 50s by my father. I suspect it has a Pfeiffer barrel, and is built on an Arisaka action. It was a real chuck killer for about 30 years, again with an IMR 3031/55 gr. bullet combination. It's not up to the task any more, but it fired thousands of rounds more than my Swift ever did. BTW, NEVER NEVER EVER send a rifle back to Remington for a barrel job. I sent the Swift back expecting an identical barrel and got back a piece of crap: a different action and trigger, a screwed up barrel and a apology for not having any more of the ported barrels like they said they were going to install. It cost me another $600 to get it to shoot again...

TedTF: Your uses have not been described for the caliber you are interested in - so its a little tough to be to specific in that regard.
But you specifically mention and inquire about wanting "the least harsh" cartridge on the factory barrel (you did mention "purchasing" a Rifle and not having one built).
The answer to your first question (least harsh) is = the 22-250 Remington.
The answer to your second question (which would I purchase) = both.
I have quite a few Rifles in caliber 22-250 Remington and quite a few Rifles in 220 Swift.
I very much share your concerns about barrel life as I have been to the Riflesmiths many many times for custom barrel jobs - those are no longer inexpensive endeavours!
With your 22-250 or your 220 Swift be sure to never get the barrel to the point of being hot - hot barrels erode much quicker.
The wonderful 220 Swift cartridge IS hard on barrels theres just no way around that. Yes, you can load it down to 22 Remington Bench Rest velocities but then you would be better off going with the 22 Remington Bench Rest to begin with - and almost certainly obtaining better accuracy while doing so!
Best of luck with whichever caliber you decide on.

.357Mag: Is your cartridge (the 22-35) as "harsh on barrels" as say a 220 Swift or a 22-250 Remington?

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Both barrels will eventually wear out.
The 22-250‘s .308 boltface gives lots of great options when that day comes.
With a factory chamber and factory dies, the swift will most likely stretch/ring/destroy more brass wearing out its barrel.

22-35 wildcat

VarmintGuy -

Please check your E-mail.

I' m convinced that my 22-35 wildcat design had just as good of barrel life as any 22-250, and better than that of the .220 Swift.

My experience was that the 22-35 in a 24" 1-14 Hart SS 5-groove
shot as -fast -as a Swift, utilizing less powder... when comparing both using same powder , primer, and bullets.

Again, I had owned,loaded for; and or shot 7 different 22-250s when I decided to design the 22-35. This included factory M-700 varminters, M-77s in sporter and varmintand full-tilt customs from Ackley, Meracle, Penrod; and Sinclair. And, some custom 22-250 rebarrels... on an M-70, and an
M-98.

I had also had experience w/ a buddie's Ruger M-77 in .220 Swift; and another shooting buddie's .225 Win M-70. vvSo, I don't make these 22-35 claims idley. The 22-35 met and exceed myperformance goals, and accurcy expectations.

Barrel life was quite good ( considering the abuse I handed it ).
22-35 in a 1-14 24" tube went over 3,200rnd before it ever keyholed its first bullet. My E-mail explains, further.

.357mag

.357Mag: That is great news and good performance for your wildcat - you have every right to be proud of it.
Throat erosion is the one and only reason I have not tried a 6mm/284.
Over the decades I have had several friends build up and then "burn down" Rifles in this caliber!
I want 6mm/284 performance - I just don't want short barrel life getting it.
And at the price of replacement barrels and Riflesmith fees anymore - barrel life and throat erosion are #1 on my list before I make a decision on a wildcat cartridge OR a factory/hybrid Rifle.
I have one 220 Swift (Ruger 77V Liberty Model) that I bought back in 1976!
Its about done - the only thing keeping me from re-barreling it now is the inscription on the barrel "Made In The 200th Year Of Our Liberty"!
It still shoots in the 7's at the range and I use it sparingly anymore.
I looked all through my E-mails (new, old & recently deleted) and could find nothing from you.
Please re-try at: VarmintGuy@aol.com
Again good for you and your high performing wildcat!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Both barrels will eventually wear out.
The 22-250‘s .308 boltface gives lots of great options when that day comes.
With a factory chamber and factory dies, the swift will most likely stretch/ring/destroy more brass wearing out its barrel.

JJ-IA,

Both the swift and the 22-250 use the same bolt face (.473), so that shouldn't be a factor as to what to buy/build.

which is better

I have had both 22-250 and 220 swift varmit rifles and when I took one of my 22-250's and made it an ackley improved 22-250 I sold all of my other varmit rifles. It shot faster than the swift, used less powder to do it and the barrel stayed much cooler for more shots, and the brass lasted 5 times longer not to mention it was very very accurate. I was well pleased with the 22-250 ackley improved............Double S

You will get a ton of responses on this one. Heck, getum both you will have twice as much fun. If you are shooting factory fodder I would say both will shoot a long time. If you hand load you can burn them up faster. I have both, a 22-250 custom with a Shilen barrel and a 112 BVSS-S Savage in 220 Swift, both with std. necks. My Swift is still going and the 22 is in the shop being setback. Some folks think, myself included, that the short neck on the 22-250 causes shorter barrel life, but hot loads will get you there a lot quicker. If you shoot factory ammo I think the Swift would give you more velocity and accuracy. Bottom line with my experience with both calibers I would choose the Swift...

Back