.22 rime fire chambering

D

dubya

When chambering a new barrel, is it best to set it up so the bullet is slightly jammed or slightly jumped ?

thanks,

Gary C.

I don't know of anyone

that sets up a chamber with "Jump". The question always is, how much should it engrave....usually with the variable of which style bullet you are using.

Unlike centerfire I believe the standard practice is to engrave the bullet.

Some of the better shooting rifles I've seen lately

have long chambers in them. The shorter ones work also but - - -

Pete

When chambering a new barrel, is it best to set it up so the bullet is slightly jammed or slightly jumped ?

thanks,

Gary C.

Just to clarify: BOLT rifles usually shoot well with some amount of engraving. Semi autos are a totally different kettle of fish. I realize this is a rimfire BR forum, but 10-22s are getting some play in the BR world in some areas.

Just to clarify: BOLT rifles usually shoot well with some amount of engraving. Semi autos are a totally different kettle of fish. I realize this is a rimfire BR forum, but 10-22s are getting some play in the BR world in some areas.
we are putting a small jam on the 10/22 barrels now they do shoot better
Joe

Engraving?

While, as a reloader of centerfire ammunition, I am quite familiar with such concepts as jamming the bullet against the lands as opposed to allowing various amounts of 'jump' to the lands, when pressing bullets into the brass. My only experience with rimfire rifles has been with factory rifles. I have never heard of the term 'engraving' regards to chamber design. Please enlighten me.

While, as a reloader of centerfire ammunition, I am quite familiar with such concepts as jamming the bullet against the lands as opposed to allowing various amounts of 'jump' to the lands, when pressing bullets into the brass. My only experience with rimfire rifles has been with factory rifles. I have never heard of the term 'engraving' regards to chamber design. Please enlighten me.
Engraving is to have the bullet far enough into the chamber that the lands "engrave" the bullet, most of the rifles I have engrave to just above the brass, in other words the land comes close to touching the mouth of the brass, I guess centerfire guys would call it being jammed.
MC

Engraving is to have the bullet far enough into the chamber that the lands "engrave" the bullet, most of the rifles I have engrave to just above the brass, in other words the land comes close to touching the mouth of the brass, I guess centerfire guys would call it being jammed.
MC

I see. What you are referring to is having the ogive (the place on the bullet where it first reaches full diameter) jammed against the lands hard enough to mark (engrave) the soft brass. Yes, that is what I meant. With a hard jacket, there is no engraving but the principle is the same.

I had no idea that rimfire shooters do the same. In my experience with rimfire rifles, the method has been to find the ammunition that gives the best consistent results and then (with a barrel tuner and experiments with action screw tension) to fine tune the rifle to the ammunition. I have never before heard of changing the chamber depth.

I see. What you are referring to is having the ogive (the place on the bullet where it first reaches full diameter) jammed against the lands hard enough to mark (engrave) the soft brass. Yes, that is what I meant. With a hard jacket, there is no engraving but the principle is the same.

I had no idea that rimfire shooters do the same. In my experience with rimfire rifles, the method has been to find the ammunition that gives the best consistent results and then (with a barrel tuner and experiments with action screw tension) to fine tune the rifle to the ammunition. I have never before heard of changing the chamber depth.

No we don't engrave into the brass but short of it, we use solid lead bullets not copper or brass jacketed. Folks have experimented with chamber depth, hell they will do anything to push the envelope to try to find that magical spot where accuracy is prime.
MC

Back