.22 Rim thickness

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but when separating ammo by rim thickness, what tolerances do you hold? Do you try for .0005? larger? smaller? Seems to me the tolerance will dictate the tool that best suits the need,less than .0005 and dial calipers aren't going to cut it.

and if you are shooting cheap ammo - it has so many other problems, sorting on the rim thickness will not make a bit of difference.

So based on the last 2 posts measuring rim thickness is not worth it!!

If it is good ammo-not necessary.

If cheap ammo it is a waste of time.

Is good ammo necessary? To me yes. I bought a good gun to see how good I could get it to shoot. That's not going to happen with cheap ammo. No way no how, cheap is cheap and your not going to change that by sortng it. Now if you got your gun to see how good you can get cheap ammo to shoot then sorting well help. If not Eley Tenex , RWS R-50 or Lapua X-Act and maybe Eley Match is going to be your best bet to see how good your gun can shoot.

Scott

In my experience yes. I took the time to head space Wolf Match Target and got it divided into 4 separate sizes. Still within all that sorting I would have minimum 4 unexplained flyer, and even had a couple that didn't have enough powder to get to the target.

So yes, if you can shoot better ammo do it, other wise, just accept you will always have flyers no matter what.

Just my opinion,
Bill

If you have a $10.00 head, wear a $10.00 helmet. Buy THE BEST AMMO THAT YOU CAN AFFORD.:D

headspace

well lets look at the question, if you intend to adjust headspace with rim thickness it WON'T help, if you intend to cull those low shots it WON'T help.
As to Better ammo it still wont help I shot some Eley black E.P.S at the Arizona metric Prone Championships. I had two rounds that would not get to the target @ 50Meters, I have had the El Lobo (wolf) that was as good or better for accuracy.

Clarence

Maybe you could start by weighing the rounds to see if there are any that have light or erratic powder charges... it could eliminate the "not making it to target" problem.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but when separating ammo by rim thickness, what tolerances do you hold? Do you try for .0005? larger? smaller? Seems to me the tolerance will dictate the tool that best suits the need,less than .0005 and dial calipers aren't going to cut it.

I guess going back to what you originally asked, you are asking way to much for cheap ammo to hold that kind of tolerance. You will be looking at tolerances in the hundredths, not in the thousandths or smaller.

If I remember right, what I was headspacing the Wolf ammo I was seperating in 4 sizes which were 0.40, 0.41, 0.42, and then anything that was smaller or larger for barrel warm up.

Hope that helps,
Bill

Sorting

I have now sorted by weight and rim thickness 5000 rounds of various ammo. With top of the line Lapua, RWS, Eley and Fiocchi it seems to have made no difference. With everything else I almost get an improvement and then a flier! Now sometimes it is me, but sometimes it isn't. Even with sorting group sizes aren't always any better, ie. bulk ammo still doesn't group as tight as match grade. The research has provided hours of amusement during bitter cold nights, rainy days, etc. but I still came to no solid conclusion other than the top grade stuff performs more consistantly than the cheap stuff and that all rimfire ammo is suspect. 22lr,22mag, 17mach2, 17hmr, and Rem 5mm mag. Alas, no ammo suits all my rimfires either! Too much fun! My best to all, Guy

well lets look at the question, if you intend to adjust headspace with rim thickness it WON'T help, if you intend to cull those low shots it WON'T help.
As to Better ammo it still wont help I shot some Eley black E.P.S at the Arizona metric Prone Championships. I had two rounds that would not get to the target @ 50Meters, I have had the El Lobo (wolf) that was as good or better for accuracy.

Clarence

You got either A. an ignition problem or B. ammo that got fried somewhere between England and you.

With regard to the "fliers", are they always low at 6:00 or are they elsewhere? If not at 6:00 due to underpowered charge, how did they get to wherever they went?

Dennis

It's not necessarily going to go to 6:00 simply because it was slower. Any change in velocity can also make it leave during a different point in the barrel's vibration, throwing it somewhere other than 6:00. Or any number of other reasons.
With regard to the "fliers", are they always low at 6:00 or are they elsewhere? If not at 6:00 due to underpowered charge, how did they get to wherever they went?

Dennis

Fliers

My fliers were never consistent. Sometimes I would take a mixed group of culled ammo and shoot a nice group as well. Over about three years I shot with my 52C, Annie 1422, and Martini Model 12. CCI Greentag and Subsonics show up with good results for cheaper ammo. POI changes were always a factor when switching ammo types/brands as well. The top grade ammos changed very little from brand to brand while the less expensive sometimes had me wondering if I'd hit the target at all! My best, Guy

Back