22 PPC USA ; 22 PPC Sako ; 22 PPC

The 22ppcUSA is the factory cartridge based off the 22ppc which was a wildcat cartridge designed with short range Benchrest in mind. The two gentlemen, whose last names began with P's, derived it from the .220 Russian parent case and ended up dealing with SAKO of Finland for the rights to produce both cartridge and ammunition as the 22ppcUSA. I suspect the 22ppcSako is incorrect nomenclature for the 22ppcUSA whereas Sako was producing it. The 22ppc generally is a tight necked chamber which requires neck turning the brass whereas the 22ppcUSA is like every other factory cartridge with ample clearance for the case. The 22ppc quickly became the 6ppc to meet the caliber restriction thus allowing shooters to use one cartridge (and possibly one rifle) in all classes. I do not know if anyone is still producing factory ammo for the 22ppcUSA. Randy J.

You can still purchase Norma 22PPC USA brass. Expensive, but available. I have one of the Cooper Varminter's and a Ruger Mk2 Target, both in 22PPC. The Norma brass works well.

For brass, you can also fireform from the Lapua 220 Russian parent case which is excellent brass from which most all Benchresters form their 6ppc. None better. Randy J.

I have a Cooper with barrel marking of 22PPC. Chamber has a neck diameter of .250. Norma 22PPC brass does not need to be neck turned but Lapua 220 Russian requires neck turning. There is some Norma 22PPC in the classifieds. Asking price appears reasonable at $30 for 50 with shipping included. When I bought my Cooper, they were using Norma brass to test fire.

Thanks for the heads up, I sent the guy an email about the Norma 6PPC USA brass since I have a Kimber Mod#84 in 6PPC coming my way in about a week. :D

Gil,
that is a good price for the 22PPC cases. Not many, but still a good price, jump on them.

Back