22 PPC .100 short

M

MarkR

I bought a rifle recently and it came with a 22 PPC .100 short barrel as well as a 6 PPC. The barrel is lightly used and I have bought another and had it fitted up in the PPC short as well. I have made brass so that it is a tight bolt close on the shouder and have turned the necks to .0084-.0085 and trimmed to
.005 less than max chamber length. I am seeking advice on a. fireforming, b. bullets, c. powder and advice in general about anything concerning this cartridge. I have a small stash of watson 52 gr. bullets but don't want to use them fireforming. All opinions are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a rifle recently and it came with a 22 PPC .100 short barrel as well as a 6 PPC. The barrel is lightly used and I have bought another and had it fitted up in the PPC short as well. I have made brass so that it is a tight bolt close on the shouder and have turned the necks to .0084-.0085 and trimmed to
.005 less than max chamber length. I am seeking advice on a. fireforming, b. bullets, c. powder and advice in general about anything concerning this cartridge. I have a small stash of watson 52 gr. bullets but don't want to use them fireforming. All opinions are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Mark

Mark i shoot a 22/100 and love it. When fireforming brass i use any bullet i can get cheap seat out into lands hard i use 4198 22.0 grns. and lightly oil case before firing. What i have found is plan on recutting necks as there is a large donut on inside of neck / shoulder junction. Just run case over expander and recut neck. I run a .243 chamber neck and cut brass to .0082 .

Mark,

There are multiple ways of handling the forming of this cartriage. Here are some methods.

1. -push shoulder back for a nice fill on bolt closure.
- Trim to .005 less the OAL
- Do not neck turn, fill case with bullseye and put a papertowel plug in end and fire.
- Now you have a shoulder/neck junction to turn to. Turn cases and check OAL. If not to long. Do not trim yet.
- Check neck clearance with bullet. Fire case with 22gns 4198 (or compatible powder) and a cheap bullet, jammed in rifling.
- Trim to length and start load development...stay away from 4198s for competition loads.

2. - Trim and Form case with JLC case forming die for the 22-.100 short. This set up includes a inside neck reamer to help get rid of donut.
- Neck turn, fire case with bullseye and paper towel plug.
- check neck clearance, trim length (just make sure it's not to long), fire with 4198 and cheap bullet.
- Trim to length and develop load

3. -Push shoulder back .005-.008 more than needed for bolt closure.
- trim ( to .005 less than max), expand neck and turn neck.
- Fireform with bullseye and papertowel plug OR powder and bullet.
- Fireform again, trim to final length and load develope.
* the purpose for pushing back shoulder more than required is to help eliminate the donut that is very predominate with this short case*

And there is still more ways to skin this cat. I've made thousands of these cases using every way possible...the only thing you have to do is fireform at least twice before load development...forming these cases make them more crooked than a politician.

Give me a call Ray, I have somethings you might want and I can go over particulars of this cartriage. I should be home this weekend so if you want to come up and pratice, I can run it by the wife (boss). I know she wants to get some pratice in and she shoots the short exclusively.

Hovis

Lee, for me, the decapping shaft on my Wilson neck sizer gets pinched by this doughnut and has to be pulled back out with pliers. PITA! Marrs the shaft too. This can happen with any cartridge and not be strictly tagged to Waldogs and family.
Love this little cartridge!
Off topic but need to tell somebody, my 20 PPC is just unbelievable with 40gr Bergers and XBR 8208. The rifle is one of those Nesika actioned Dakotas. Awesome!

I have been shooting a .100 short for a couple years now and i love it. I use a harrels fl size die so i havent ever noticed that issue. I can see what your saying though. I just never thought about that.
I use a shortened 22-250 fl size die to form my cases. I try to push the shoulder back so that i still have a crush fit at the shoulders when i go to fireform. I have an old worn out .100 short barrel for fireforming so i just hammer the cases 3 times like Kevin said with junk varmint grade bullets.
My next short project will be a little different. Some here might remember me wanting or talking about doing my own wildcat. I think i will do a .100 short 22ppc with 40 degree shoulders and a little longer neck than normal. Not sure what i will call this yet, but ill think of something. I will need to make a die, so i am reading up on that process currently. My machining abilities are really coming along well. I tought myself today how to catch an old thread on an old barrel that another fella chambered. The barrel came out great, and i had zero troubles. I think i am about ready to make that die!! Lee

Just use a cut off 22/250 sizing die,trim to length and turn necks and fireform

Not original with me, but if you'll trim the cases first and then run them through the cut off .22-250 die without an expander in the die, you can set up the die to where the bolt will just close on the case. My chamber is a .246" neck so the cases will chamber before you neck turn as long as you haven't run an expander into the cases. After moving the shoulder back with the shortened .22-250 die, neck turn and fireform and you're done. I also use an extended shell holder with the .22-250 die where I can lock the lock ring and have it set for the next time I want to make cases.

For me the main problem for making .22 PPC .100 short cases has always been trimming the cases to length. If you trim off about .085" off of them first, you can do it with a Wilson case trimmer with a .220 Russian case holder and a power adapter that will let you use a cordless drill. The power adapter is available from Wilson. The .220 Russian case holder will hold the case tight so is simple to run the drill as fast as you want to remove the excess neck length. I hold the case trimmer in a table mounted vise. Trimming to length with power makes short work of trimming cases to length. Make sure and oil the cutter where it runs in the case trimmer or you can gall the spindle. You'll still want to check case length after you fireform and cut them all to uniform length after they've been fired a couple of times.

1. Trim off .085" off first on all the cases in your batch.
2. Move shoulders back creating the fireforming shoulder.
3. Expand the necks on all the cases to match your neck turner mandrel.
4. Neck turn all the cases.
5. Fireform as many case as you want to fireform.
6. Reload the cases and fire them a second time.
7. Trim to match your chamber length. I go .020" under the chamber length and use .010" under chamber length as a maximum case length.
8. If I happen to have a doughnut, I'll take it out with a .224" chucking reamer.

That's how I did it the last time I made cases for a .22 PPC .100 Short. I was using a Harrel die and was having a little trouble with my cases getting tight as the die wasn't sizing enough. I sent some cases that had been fired through a match to Jim Carstensen and had a full length bushing die made to match my fired cases. I haven't taken it back to the range since getting the new die, but I'm sure that it will solve the tight case problem.

As with everything in benchrest, there's more than one way to do just about anything. This is the easiest way I've been able to make shortened PPC cases.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what bullets and powders are some of you fellas using in the ppc shorts? Myself, i like Ronnie cheeks 52gr FB bullet and N133. I have also played with some Norma 200 with good results. I had a good friend just send me a few of those old Remington 22cal benchrest bullets, so i hope to try them out this evening.
I would like to find another powder other than N133, but thus far nothing has out performed it. Lee

N133 powder with 52 grain boat tail bullets from Cecil Tucker has been my best load so far. I have a little more testing I would like to do with H322 and some Dan Opel bullets.

Back