.22 lr rim thickness

William Colbert

What is the importance of a consistent rim thickness? Does it have to do with ignition and pressure or bullet seating depth? With today's more precise ammo manufacturing is it an issue that should be considered?

Happy New Year to all!
William

Ever wonder why spark plugs are even gapped at a certain distance?? Same principle applies to rimfire thickness on the shells.
You'll have to sort even the high end stuff to get a complete box of all matching thickness. Get a gauge, and check some. Then weight those that have been sorted by weight, you'll end up with maybe 50 out of 500, if your lucky.

gabe22br - -

"What is the importance of a consistent rim thickness?"
was the question --

not how many will pass as "perfect"

What is the importance of a consistent rim thickness? Does it have to do with ignition and pressure or bullet seating depth? With today's more precise ammo manufacturing is it an issue that should be considered?William

All the mentioned above. As many rounds have been produced on the same dies, they wear ---out. I know I have shot 50,000 rds of the same manufacture, and at least 2 others. You tend to see a change when measuring this. Hence you see people looking for the same lot numbers of a certain type ammo. Since it is winter time and everything is slow, get out the mic's and go at it. Old egg cartons are good sorting trays, that don't scuff the bullet, or lube that is on them. If your serious about it, for shooting matches, your time will make a difference. If your just a plinker, don't bother wasting your time.

I have seen some going to a match on Sat. The previous Sunday they where pulling bullets, weighing powder, hulls, measuring the rim, weighing the bullets, then making a box of 50ct., stuffing them back in the factory box. Using a small piece of tape to secure the box back. When he sat down at the range bench, he said " Well let me just open this fresh box of 22 ammo I just the other day." Then won the match!!!

Hope it helps explain a few things.

All the mentioned above. As many rounds have been produced on the same dies, they wear ---out. I know I have shot 50,000 rds of the same manufacture, and at least 2 others. You tend to see a change when measuring this. Hence you see people looking for the same lot numbers of a certain type ammo. Since it is winter time and everything is slow, get out the mic's and go at it. Old egg cartons are good sorting trays, that don't scuff the bullet, or lube that is on them. If your serious about it, for shooting matches, your time will make a difference. If your just a plinker, don't bother wasting your time.

I have seen some going to a match on Sat. The previous Sunday they where pulling bullets, weighing powder, hulls, measuring the rim, weighing the bullets, then making a box of 50ct., stuffing them back in the factory box. Using a small piece of tape to secure the box back. When he sat down at the range bench, he said " Well let me just open this fresh box of 22 ammo I just the other day." Then won the match!!!

That's cheating. Who would do that?

Jim

This is pure Bulls..t if for no other reason that it's virtually impossible to remove a slug, let alone replace it without damage to the base and/or crimp.
It is not necessary, nobody does it with high end ammo.
On another note, according to your posts as of six months ago you never shot a match. Where, might
I inquire, has such sage experience been acquired?

This is pure Bulls..t if for no other reason that it's virtually impossible to remove a slug, let alone replace it without damage to the base and/or crimp. I can be done, I've seen it done. They did make dies for it, and still do. You can make your own if "you know how" or own a lathe.
It is not necessary, nobody does it with high end ammo. Want to bet??
On another note, according to your posts as of six months ago you never shot a match. Where, might
I inquire, has such sage experience been acquired?
Your wrong there!!

Doesn't work. If it did, to any degree, above and beyond the point it's illegal, would you really suggest in all this time , you're the first person that sheds light on this??? Go to a few matches and educate yourself as to what works, what's being done.

If you do the research, here, on other forums, you'll see they did offer empty cases for reloading. There is a video of it, and I have seen empty primed cases for sale. Makers took them off the market because idiots where killing them selves b/c they didn't know what they where doing.

The internet does shed some light on the subject as for reloading 22 LR. The info is out there, research it. As far as illegal--that's a sick bird. This isn't for resale, or to give away. Personally use only. So get to looking for info on it before you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about , and you know nothing of it..

If you do the research, here, on other forums, you'll see they did offer empty cases for reloading. There is a video of it, and I have seen empty primed cases for sale. Makers took them off the market because idiots where killing them selves b/c they didn't know what they where doing.

The internet does shed some light on the subject as for reloading 22 LR. The info is out there, research it. As far as illegal--that's a sick bird. This isn't for resale, or to give away. Personally use only. So get to looking for info on it before you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about , and you know nothing of it..

This was beat to death years ago. It's illegal to shoot in a match, not the law. You'd perhaps know this if you shot a few matches instead of the keyboard.
We've gone from disassembly to reassembly....now reloading from componants.
The Internet sheds light on all manner of things.....primarily for some folks to swallow.
Again, shoot a few matches. By the way I'm guessin you're like 12 maybe 14?

Yes, I'm 86. At my age I tend to forget more than you will ever know there sonny. It's only cheating if ya get caught. Be ware of the old guys with just a few boxes of ammo, who smile...

I have shot plenty of RF matches. 600-1000yd is where I was interested in. You need to read and do research, before you speak there .....

Sorry there OP for the fuss here

Ah, now there's some sportsmanship for ya. I believe we have a new division in the " keyboard class" , the geritol division, with oak leaf cluster, for the " I don't shoot real matches, but I've been doing it forever"
OK who let grampa near the computer?

P.S. You do know this stuff is no longer black powder, right?

Last edited:
Sorting Ammo

G'day guys.

Like many of you more experienced rimfire shooters I wasted many hours measuring and batching ammo by weight, rim thickness and the phases of the moon. (I shoot an Annie M54 and an Izhmash KO-2 Biathlon). I even made a concentricity gauge.

The wiser (experienced)people at the club just smiled as I waited for a calm day to shoot a few test groups.

What did I discover?

Modern rimfire ammo is remarkably consistent from a reputable manufacturer and once one discovers what diet one's chosen .22 prefers it's all back to the nut behind the butt.

In fact, the most useful thing that I ever manufactured was a decent set of wind flags. Now although I'm still learning how to read them properly, I did notice that they made more difference to my scores than all the wasted fun in front of the tv measuring and faffing. Also found that learning a decent and repeatable hold/trigger technique helps a bit..... still practising that one too!

One other bonus is purely psychological. The less experienced competitors worry when they see all the 'batch sorted' ammo and this distracts them from getting a decent score.

Just an observation from down under.

* Doghunter *

G'day guys.

Like many of you more experienced rimfire shooters I wasted many hours measuring and batching ammo by weight, rim thickness and the phases of the moon. (I shoot an Annie M54 and an Izhmash KO-2 Biathlon). I even made a concentricity gauge.

The wiser (experienced)people at the club just smiled as I waited for a calm day to shoot a few test groups.

What did I discover?

Modern rimfire ammo is remarkably consistent from a reputable manufacturer and once one discovers what diet one's chosen .22 prefers it's all back to the nut behind the butt.

In fact, the most useful thing that I ever manufactured was a decent set of wind flags. Now although I'm still learning how to read them properly, I did notice that they made more difference to my scores than all the wasted fun in front of the tv measuring and faffing. Also found that learning a decent and repeatable hold/trigger technique helps a bit..... still practising that one too!

One other bonus is purely psychological. The less experienced competitors worry when they see all the 'batch sorted' ammo and this distracts them from getting a decent score.

Just an observation from down under.

* Doghunter *

"Just an observation from down under."

That would be a very astute and correct observation.

Ken Henderson

As a follow up since I had a bit of time I thought I'd "educate myself" by hitting all these references.
I have no idea what this guy's point was since every one of these links was about unsafe experimentation, squirrel hunting, or survivalist ammo assembly, zero about anything accuracy and/or the lack there of.

Well, the gentleman said he was 86 years old....

Just a reminder!

Jeez Wilbur it took 14 posts, although I thought my old buddy Cecil was back.
On another note, while you know how old I am, when did those old timey values of our elders get turned into its only cheatin if you get caught? Cheesh.

Last edited:
Back