22 cal custom barrel internal specs needed

turbokeen

Hey Guy`s ,
i have been slugging the barrel from my BM500hv, its a BSA barrel with 12 grooves and comparing to slugging (with pellets ) to my Muller 4mi`s and Lilja 4g Rimfire barrels
the Air rifle barrels are considerably tighter spec`s it seems
hav noticed the Mullers at 2218 and 2175 arent tight enough for the front of Air pellets
The Lilja was ok it grooved the front of the pellets about half a thou
Those of you that hav used 2 groove Benchmarks or others please give me Your thoughts on internal Spec`s needed to shoot pellets
Obviously Martin used Benchmarks at one stage but not currently . Is that because their not as tight as they used to be ?
What barrels are you using in those New Thomas Air rifle`s ?
What is Todd Banks using in his RAW`s

Lets Talk Barrels Please
im trying to upspec my BM500hv for Brisbane Worlds

Dave

Last edited:
My THomas LV and HV will be .177 barrels.

Dave,
I have Two Mike Niksch's Thomas's my LV one is a LW standard .177 that shoots AA 8.4 from the tin,
My HV Thomas has a Dan Brown Spec LW slow twist polygon barrel that shoots JSB Monsters from the Tin.
My only .22 barrel gun is my Open Class Chip Smith SUMO that I have both a 3 grove BenchMark and a 2 grove BenchMark barrel that needs Airgauged pellets to shoot OK. I use a Dan Brown spech Kreiger barrel
That shoots AA 16 gr and JSB 18.1 pellets from the Tin. Shot the First 750 USA out doors at the a north East Reigonal shoot. Mike Niksch has now shot a 750 in LV class maybe more than once?
I know Mike Niksch is now using a .22 barrel on his HV Thomas. Not sure which barrel?
Maybe Mike or Dan will post?

Waiting to try some .177 Beasts outside at 100 yards. Been a long Winter and we had some more snow last night!
Paul

Last edited:
Great info Paul re 22s

Thanks Paul,
YOU hav a 2 groove and a 3 groove Benchmark that needs selected gauged pellets to shoot OK , ( im Thinking thats cos their a little big in the bore and groove spec )
You hav a Dan Brown selectd Kreiger that shoots out the tin ok , ( its probly a bit tighter spec )

im thinking the 22s need to be around .220 and .216 or .219 and .215 so that the front of the pellets dont rattle

Anyone been measuring their 22 barrels ?

thanks Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm currently using a Rock Creek Medford rifled Rimfire barrel on my HV rifle. I have no idea what it measures but it is very finicky on ammo, so I'm assuming it's a little on the loose side. The person I got it from said that while on his RF gun it shot more X's than any other barrel he'd every tried, but it threw a flyer or two on every target.

You wouldn't want to shoot 15.9's or 18.1's for HV, way to slow! I'm using 13.4's and 14.3's at just under 800fps.

You mentioned .20 cal. in your other post. The guys in South Africa are the ones to ask about them. I think they've found some good shooting pellets for them, something that is a struggle with far fewer choices in that caliber.

Hope some of this helps,
Todd Banks

Thanks guy`s

Thanks Dan and Todd,
it was good to see LW specs, it appears im on the right track

Today i might just take my LV 17 barrel out of my BM500 and fit to my HV and see how she performs at 20 ftlbs

cheers Guy`s
Dave

Back