22-250 Coyote Bullet?

John S

A few weeks ago someone posted their favorite coyote bullet in a 22-250.

I printed it out and now it's lost in the mess.

Anyhow it was a 50 grain bullet that didn't exit but turned in insides to jello; therefore great for winter pelts.

If you are out there please post this info again.

Thank you.

Hi John,

I think perhaps I chimed in on that one amongst others.

I have been shooting Hornady Vmax bullets into coyotes for nearly a decade and my best luck has been a 50gr Vmax at just over 3600 fps. I used both H4895 and Varget right close to book max. I recently got ahold of a new Savage 22-250 and am trying H414 as it seems to shoot quite well.

Anyway, myself and 2 other buddies all shoot the same bullet and between the 3 of us, have whacked a fair number of coyotes and the effect has been very much the same. .22 cal hole going in and no exit and when you skin them, it looks like they ate a hand grenade. Jelly. I have dragged coyotes back to the truck thru the snow and not left a blood trail before.

I have tried both the Sierra blitzkings and the Nosler BTs and both seemed to want to pass thru but the Vmax seems to stay in and blow up.

Hope this helps.:)

jamie

50gr V-Max with enough Varget to match Hornady Varmint factory loads.

It came out 3913fps out of a Rem. 700 VLS (26in barrel).

We have exit holes with V-Max, BlitzKing and Ballistic Tip Varmint. I give the edge in accuracy to the BT over the others, the V-Max is most destructive.

I picked up some 36gr Varmint Grenades, but haven't loaded them yet.

We've shot 'yotes with 7mm Mag with 120gr Ballistic Tip, with nearly same trajectory, and very little damage. My dad has hit a 'yote with his 375H&H on the run.

22-250 bullet

first choice is 50 bal tip . benchrest power winchester brass. 210m or wlr or br-2 primer. 3915fps

22-250 bullet

I like the hornady 52g hpbt match bullet the coyotees don't care for them as much.
decemberyote001.jpg

Wow,

Hope you like sewing! Using a 50gr Vmax, its hard sometimes to even find an entrance hole. I see you dont have that problem.:)

I guess if they shoot, use what ever works.

Nice coyote other wise tho.

Jamie

I don't konw about coyote's but a 52 gr berger match bullets over 38.0 grs of H380 at about 3750ft/sec does a mighty fine job on whitetail varmints, massive internal damage, lots of red jello inside,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

In the '250 I use............

41.5 H414(worked up) Rem. 91/2 or Winchester WLR, W-W brass, and the 53 Hornady. No exits on groundhogs yet.;)

I don't konw about coyote's but a 52 gr berger match bullets over 38.0 grs of H380 at about 3750ft/sec does a mighty fine job on whitetail varmints, massive internal damage, lots of red jello inside,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

I used .223 50gr Federal Power Shok bulk ammo and knocked a button buck flat and he didn't get back up as opposed to 270 Win 130gr Hornady SST on a 10pt that ran off with similar impact area and distance to target.

Neck and ear shots are good too.

Tip to minimize exit holes

I call 90% of the coyotes I shoot and for the past few years I have tried to shoot the coyote, as he is facing me, dead center of the chest. I have yet to see an exit wound when the dog is struck in this way. My load for the record,55 V-Max,40.0 gr H380

22-250 bullet

I took 2 shots because the yote was still on its feet after the first shot. I can't figure out where I hit it first. I am guessing the first shot was the one that exited toward the back leg. The strange thing is the dog was still moving after the second shot and I lost the chance to kill its mate.

same target 2 opposing hunters

as i see it john is a fur hunter and wants a marketable pelt. stall is a varmint hunter and wants to rid a menace to local farm and venison herds.

in my opinion the opposing views are, one individual makes money by harvesting and the other individual saves money by protecting their herd investment. no one is wrong! both are correct within their realm.

for what its worth, i recall reading that rick jameson fed his family selling coyote pelts while attending college.

Fred

22-250 loads

I hunt coyotes with beagles here in Ohio and kill quite a few of them with buckshot, Last year I skinned out 4 of the best yotes I killed and ended up with 12$ per pelt. It is just not worth my time to skin the stinking things for that much money.

Back