22:250 advice reqd.

22-250

I would reccomend buying a savage 22-250 lrpv sell the barrel and purchase a shilen or liljia in 1-14 or 1-12 twist. I sold my factory barrel for 200$ and that covered about half of the cost for the new one. I chambered my rifle in 22-250AI and am using 243 winchester brass that I form in sizing dies. I trim the necks and cut to the proper length. I am expecting the brass to last for 5 firings or so_Or until the primer pockets get worn out I am loading a 50G vmax on top of 40G of 4198 and getting velocity of 4085 fps with accuracy in the mid 3s. One question for chino how will I know it when i see a crow that has gone rogue.

Rogue crow

I would reccomend buying a savage 22-250 lrpv sell the barrel and purchase a shilen or liljia in 1-14 or 1-12 twist. I sold my factory barrel for 200$ and that covered about half of the cost for the new one. I chambered my rifle in 22-250AI and am using 243 winchester brass that I form in sizing dies. I trim the necks and cut to the proper length. I am expecting the brass to last for 5 firings or so_Or until the primer pockets get worn out I am loading a 50G vmax on top of 40G of 4198 and getting velocity of 4085 fps with accuracy in the mid 3s. One question for chino how will I know it when i see a crow that has gone rogue.

A rogue crow can be identified by his anti social attitude and general lack of respect for us hominids. Raucous calling, a bob and weave stance, and walking like a pirate are just some of the traits. Any crow I can line up in my crosshairs is considered rogue. A 50 grn. Nosler Ballistic Tip with a healthy dose of H380 travelling @4150 ft/s. sends Mr. Corvid into an instant puff of black eider feathers; an absolute riot. So to answer your question; when you have a crow lined up in your crosshairs, consider him rogue.

Lou Baccino

I have owned and shot out a 22-250 but now I favor the 204 with 39 Blitzking and 223 AI. I had my Savage LPV wth facory barrel re-chambered to the AI version. With 9 twist I shot 50-75gr bullets. the 50s will safely shoot 3,700 and the 75 3,040. Low recoil and great barrel life because it is more efficicient than 22-250. By the way the 39BK in 204 with bc of .287 is higher than any 50-55 gr 22 bullet.

Rogue crow

Lou I think I would pass up a free breakfast to shoot a rogue crow. I have been laying off them for a couple months but now that the fledglings are out of the nest its time to wage war once again. In fact I have built 2
centerfire rifles just for them and the 22-250AI is very effective on them.

Rogue crow

Lou I think I would pass up a free breakfast to shoot a rogue crow. I have been laying off them for a couple months but now that the fledglings are out of the nest its time to wage war once again. In fact I have built 2
centerfire rifles just for them and the 22-250AI is very effective on them.

I'm with you, they are fun to shoot. There is a fairly large roost close to where I live. I began putting scaps of food out on my fenceposts and they began making regular stops. I did this so I could further observe their behavior and patterns; it would not be sporting to shoot them in this situation. My intent was to gain more knowledge and understanding of their habits to make my set-ups more productive.

I fed them for several weeks and then stopped feeding them. Every morning a crow scout would fly over to see if there was food. Two months went by before I fed them again and right on schedule, the flock consumed the food. Their memories from two months ago allowed them to find the food. They definitely have a system and a means of communication.

If you'll note, there are always advance scouts that check out the situation before they signal to the flock that the coast is clear. I've noticed this in decoy situations where there is an owl decoy surrounded by several crows. At any rate, the object is to fool the advance scouts with your set-up. If you manage to do this the flock will follow.

They are one of the smartest and cagiest critters to hunt. I can get a free beakfast almost anytime but the opportunity to pop some crows puts the breakfast on the back burner. The .22-250 A.I. is potent medicine for crows.

Lou Baccino

Back