22-250 8"twist Seating depth

Worker

Just bought a Hornady "Lock-N-Load" Straight O.A.L. guage . This rifle will be dedicated to shooting 65gr-80gr bullets, with an occasional 60gr V-max. So starting with 69gr Sierra TMK bullets . Following the directions C.O.A.L. is 2.453 ,then using a 1" Sinclair Bullet comparator at the OGIVE it measured 1.979. I've been advised to seat bullets .015 away from lands and move.005 into lands until touching . Gunsmith that chambered this rifle said He could lengthen the throat if needed . So my question is, is lengthening the throat needed ? Why would I want to do this ?

Push some 75-90gr VLD's in front of 35+ gr of 4350 burn rate powders jammed hard while developing loads.
Play w/ seating depth if running thru a magazine.

Wasting a 1:8" twist 22-250 chambered Bbl pushing 65gr projectiles is counter productive.

Accuracy trumps velocity any day of the week.

What about 69gr Sierra TMKs in 8" twist bbl

Loaded these bullet 015 and 007 and touching lands with 40.7 grs of Superformance in 22/250. They shot terrible )-: Sierra manual says IMR 4350 was their accuracy load.

Worker/Ironworker-
With your same post on various sites,
Heed some suggestions or sell the rifle & move on.

Push some 75-90gr VLD's in front of 35+ gr of 4350 burn rate powders jammed hard while developing loads.
Play w/ seating depth if running thru a magazine.

Wasting a 1:8" twist 22-250 chambered Bbl pushing 65gr projectiles is counter productive.

Accuracy trumps velocity any day of the week.

Back